The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 23, 2012, 01:47 PM   #1
duelist1954

Shootin' Josey Wales Style

I got a new Uberti-made Colt Walker replica from Taylor's & Co. and I couldn't resist grabbing my old ASM Walker for some Josey Wales action.

Eastwood made it look so easy...it aint..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk603K7RjyY
Old December 23, 2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Beagle333

Now that's the way to make some smoke! 'Looks like fun!

For some reason, I had in my mind this image of you sittin' on your backside like Josey did in the last big shootout after getting knocked off his horse, and firing at Evil Roy that way. lol
Old December 23, 2012, 11:41 PM   #3
straightcut

Awesome!

I always enjoy watching your videos and that was absolutely fantastic! The gunfighters view was outstanding!

I have a question on nipples for you. I have 1,000 Remington #11 caps and wanted to get some SlixShot nipples for my three blackpowder revolvers - a Pietta Remington New Army, Uberti 1860 Army and a Uberti Second Model Dragoon. None have been fired, so they all have factory nipples. Do you think I can get by with my #11 caps. I'm kind of wincing at the price of three sets of nipples with the thought that I need a new stock of #10 caps.

Another option would be to just go with what I have, then upgrade down the road.

Thanks for your great work and your advice!
Old December 24, 2012, 05:37 AM   #4
arcticap

What about fitting a leather strap around those loading levers that keep dropping to show folks a practical field fix for the problem.
At least you showed folks that the lever dropping can be a constant problem.
Sometimes folks will cock their gun and then attempt to fix the dropped loading lever which places their hand in front of a live cylinder or causes them to point it in awkward directions, or with their finger seemingly touching the trigger or close to it.
Not necessarily in your video but in another Walker video I've seen just that.
Although it wouldn't be shooting Josey Wales style, the Walker is one of those revolvers that folks have said can hit a target at up to 100 yards with some regularity.
I realize that this Uberti is a new gun, but I wouldn't mind seeing if some shots could hit a target that was set up at one or two rifle distances anywhere between 50 -100 yards.
And I can imagine that heavy loads shot from it would be able to penetrate as many water bottles as the Ruger Old Army did if not more. But to me that's not an important test to perform on camera since I realize that there was a bullet deflection problem when shooting through many water bottles in a previous video.
However trying to fire at a target that's large enough to hit at longer range could be interesting. Even if the groups were relatively large it would still be an accomplishment. The Walker's longer barrel should provide a better sighting plane and it shouldn't require excessive powder loads. Maybe you could try it with some Swiss or other target grade powder, and fire at a large metal silhouette or at a large paper target to see how accurate the Walker can shoot at longer range. A long range test would help confirm that the Walker has a higher degree of accuracy than some of the other .44 reproductions on the market, and can do it with more power and consistency.

Last edited by arcticap; December 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old December 24, 2012, 06:29 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

Straightcut,

Of the revolvers you mentioned, I have a copy of each and all use number 10 caps. I use only CCIs.

In my life, I have owned probably sixty different cap and ball weapons. I have never needed to change nipples to solve a cap fit problem.

I did replace the nipples on one of my Dragoons because some of the factory nipples were too short and the chamber did not discharge because the hammer never struck the nipples. That was on an ASM and I suspect that the original owner change some nipples that were mushroomed because he was playing with it while watching Lonesome Dove or some such. (Shooting the bad guys.) And he replaced them with nipples that were too short. On that revolver I went to Treso Nipples. It still takes number 10s.

So out of 35 or so revolvers, all but two take CCI 10s and none of them have any problems with caps that don't light the powder.

The two which take CCI 11s are the Rugers.

Please understand, I do not shoot CAS, I don't shoot as often or as seriously as many shooters do. I only shoot about 2000 rounds a year. I am not saying that there is no difference in revolver performance between factory nipples and nipples from an aftermarket supplier.

But I, in my primitive mind and my limited and unscientific observation can not identify the difference.

I might add that I do chrony loads and I get speeds which are in keeping with contemporary standards although I have never chronied a load with and without replacement nipples.

So my feeling is just that; an unscientific feeling.
Old December 27, 2012, 02:35 AM   #6
indy1919

So was leather strap to hold up the lever really used??

So was using a leather strap on on the barrel/lever used back in the Day????.. Is there any written record to a solution???????
Old December 27, 2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Rigmarol

Regarding the use of leather on the walker loading levers, if they did not use something to hold them up I'd be surprised. I can't imagine putting up with such an annoyance during a battle.

I shoot two Dragoons (came after the Walker of course) which, even though they have a lever retaining device at the end of the barrel, occasionally drop the levers under recoil. Last weekend was the first time I shot these in a CAS match (I had them converted to cartridge cylinders for this) and the lever retainer on one gun jumped off the barrel. I had leather laces with me and tied up the lever for the rest of the match and it worked perfectly well.

Again, if they DID NOT use leather laces to tie up a misbehaving lever, I'd be surprised.
Old January 2, 2013, 12:30 PM   #8
jlb43

Can you imagine hauling around four revolvers that along with the leathers weigh in at about 16 lbs. total? That is like totin a bowling ball. Imagine riding a horse at full gallop with all that iron hanging on you. Josie must have been a tough bird.

Old January 2, 2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Idaho Spud

Josie Wales was a made up fig newton of someone's imagination. As Hitchcock once said, "It's only a movie."

Last edited by Idaho Spud; January 2, 2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old January 2, 2013, 01:57 PM   #10
jlb43

Really ?????
Old January 2, 2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Rainbow Demon

While Josie Wales is a fictional character, Civil War era raiders who carried four or more pistols did exist.
John Mosby's raiders began collecting pistols from the Federal calvary units they defeated. At one time almost every man in the outfit carried a minmum of four pistols, with six or more not uncommon.
Saddle holsters were the prefered method for carrying the Walker and Dragoon pistols, anything smaller was usually described as a belt pistol.

Shoulder holsters, at the time these were called under arm rigs, were fairly common. John Wesley Hardin often used an under arm rig.
Suspender holsters were also in use for concealed carry, even in pre revolver days.

The Walker replica I have fired was extremely accurate and hard hitting. When the lever retention spring broke the owner asked me to fit it with a lever latch similar to the one on his 1851.
Turned out to be easier than I had expected it to be. I had a 1851 style lever and cut off barrel with the proper part still attached.
After dovetailing the walker barrel and grinding down the tip of its lever I bored out the hole and cut the slot for the latch.
Because of differences in size I had to file a flat on the upper surface of the lever so it could engage the latch.

Last edited by Rainbow Demon; January 2, 2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old January 2, 2013, 05:32 PM   #12
jlb43

The post was meant in jest. A little bit of levity. It just occured to me, while looking at this thread, that dragging around four revolvers all day, especially Walkers could be somewhat of a task. At least for me it would be. I also understand that because the shooting didn't stop when you needed to reload that multiple revolvers could be necessary. I did not just fall off the turnip truck. I have been around awhile. I am FULLY aware that Josey Wales was no more real than Batman or Matt Dillon.
Old January 2, 2013, 05:57 PM   #13
OutlawJoseyWales

Next thing is that you'll tell me that Santy Claus ain't real.

In the movie Clint Eastwood lugged them pistols around all day. Of course he was payed pretty well for it. Saw the movie in '76 and have been a fan of the character ever since.

From what evidence I've been able to find, "those big pistol fighters" as "Lidge" called Josey, would arm themselves with as many as they could carry. That much is pretty well accepted.
Old January 2, 2013, 06:35 PM   #14
BirchOrr

OJW

Quote:
Next thing is that you'll tell me that Santy Claus ain't real.
Now that... was freakin hilarious! LOL!

A Walker weighs in at 4.9 lbs. empty. I have a shoulder holster for mine and it's comfortable to carry. Forget about trying to draw it out quick though. My hand is close to being over my head by the time the barrel is clear of the holster.

B
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...