The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 23, 2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Bmar

Dumb newbie

Cast 125 gr. bullets loaded with clays and wsf to lee's manual Do not exceed loads and will not cycle Beretta 92 fs.
OAL is 1.150 to 1.151 with a light crimp. Any ideas please help.
Old June 23, 2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for asking our advice. Sorry for your troubles.

Your Beretta is operated by the recoil energy generated when you fire the gun. A lighter recoil spring might be in order, but that would be the LAST thing to try.

Clean the slide and frame rails where they move against one another. Lubricate as the owner's manual specifies (some guns like to "run dry", relatively and some work better with more lubrication). See if that helps.

Hold the gun more firmly. If the gun is free to move rearward at the time of firing, it will, and absorb some of the recoil's movement.

If you can get use of a chronograph, it might be helpful to know the velocity of these bullets. Just in case your loads are lighter than you think.

Good luck

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; June 23, 2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old June 23, 2013, 03:11 PM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
...will not cycle Beretta 92 fs...
Specifically, what seems to happen? Does the slide go partially to the rear but returns to battery with the empty still in the chamber? Or, the empty does not eject but catches on the side of the chamber? You have to be very specific.
Old June 23, 2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Shootest

Exactly what is your load? Lee does not do any of the testing, they just reprint others test results. Did you check your load with another resource?
Old June 23, 2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Bmar

Dumb newbie

Thanks for the help. Started with clays went to 3.4 grains then went to WSF 4.8 grains Measure both slide comes back cocks the hammer but does not eject. Gun is brand-new ran 50 rounds of Manufactured ammo shoots like a dream
Old June 23, 2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Bmar

Dumb newbie

I quess what I want to know is if pressure for the same weight jacketed is 32500 why is max 30900 for cast.
Old June 23, 2013, 05:18 PM   #7
tahunua001

does not eject as in it leaves the casings in the chamber or it just can't throw them clear of the slide? if they are stuck in the chamber then you are loading too hot. any other FTE I would suggest trying factory ammo before blaming it on the reloads.
Old June 23, 2013, 05:53 PM   #8
Bmar

Dumb newbie

Case stays in chamber
Old June 23, 2013, 06:37 PM   #9
Jeff2131

Take the gun apart, clean it, inspect it, and try again. Maybe ejector isnt grabbing the case, maybe you powder charge is too heavy and is expanding the case too much, maybe youre not belling out the case before seating the bullet, could be alot of things, start with your gun, then move to your reloads, take your time and make sure.youre not cutting corners.
Old June 23, 2013, 07:27 PM   #10
steve4102

Your Loads are To Weak.
Quote:
Started with clays went to 3.4 grain
Hodgdon data lists 3.5gr as Minimum for 125gr and Clays.

Quote:
then went to WSF 4.8 grains
Hodgdon lists 4.7gr as Minimum.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Bump the charge up to at least mid range loads according to Hodgdon.
Old June 23, 2013, 09:28 PM   #11
tahunua001

ok so according to steve OP is right at the lower threshhold of his loads but the casings are getting stuck in the chamber so it can't be an issue with loading too hot. I would say you probably have an extractor issue, try factory loads and see if those FTE as well.
Old June 23, 2013, 10:56 PM   #12
steve4102

Quote:
ok so according to steve OP is right at the lower threshhold of his loads but the casings are getting stuck in the chamber so it can't be an issue with loading too hot. I would say you probably have an extractor issue, try factory loads and see if those FTE as well.
They are NOT sticking in the chamber.

From the OP.

Quote:
Measure both slide comes back cocks the hammer but does not eject. Gun is brand-new ran 50 rounds of Manufactured ammo shoots like a dream
Weak loads to be sure. Factory shoots fine.

To the OP, get a good manual and check out the powder manufacturer's web sites. Your load is way to weak to cycle the action of that brand new pistol.
Old June 24, 2013, 05:55 AM   #13
Bmar

Dumb newbie

Thanks guys appreciate the help
Old June 24, 2013, 09:27 AM   #14
tahunua001

Steve, also straight from the OP
Quote:
Case stays in chamber
post number 8.

I'm trying to help, not enter a Peeing match. good luck in solving the issue.
Old June 24, 2013, 09:53 AM   #15
steve4102

I believe he means that the round stays in the chamber and the slide stays closed. As if the round is so weak that the side comes back, but not enough to slip over the mag and capture a new round and closes chambering the fire case.

He says factory run fine.
Old June 24, 2013, 03:04 PM   #16
Paul B.

"I quess what I want to know is if pressure for the same weight jacketed is 32500 why is max 30900 for cast."

I think I can answer that one. Friction. A jacketed bullet will give more friction due to the hardness of the bullet's jacket. A cast lead buller, regardless of how hard the allow will give less friction to the barrel. So, lets say you're shooting a 125 gr. jacketed bullet and a 125 gr. cast bullet over 5.0 gr. of powder X. The jaketes load will give higher pressure due to the increased friction of the bullet's jacket.
Paul B.