The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: do you trust biometric entry safes?
yes, i trust biometric technology 5 8.93%
no, i do not trust biometric technology 35 62.50%
i trust biometric technology, but not in an emergency 16 28.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 4, 2009, 10:28 PM   #1
(BH)

would you/do you trust biometric technology?

i need a safe that is easy and quick to access for my bedroom . im considering the biometric safes, particularly a small on for a drawer. however, im a bit concerned about their reliability.

i mean, it seems to me that technology of that sort has alot of room for error. i have this image in my head of me trying to get to my firearm in an emergency and the fingerprint sensor not recognizing my print. what if your hand is shaking? how perfected is this technology? would you trust it with your life?

if you have owned/currently own a biometric entry safe please let me know your experience and opinions. im just trying to figure out if they are trustworthy in an emergency situation.
Old June 5, 2009, 08:28 AM   #2
johnwilliamson062

I wouldn't trust myself to work a key or remember a combination either.
Old June 5, 2009, 08:36 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am with John!
No lasers, lights or other gizmos for me either... They can fail and murphy are well aquainted but we ain't buddies! I am barely convinced that semi auto pistols are suitable for SD.
Brent
Old June 5, 2009, 08:49 AM   #4
grymster2007

It's getting better, but I certainly wouldn't trust my life to the technology at this point. I'm with John on this also and that's why I don't store my HD weapons in lock boxes. Of course I have no young children about.... just me, the missus and the intruder.
Old June 5, 2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Dingoboyx

Biometrics

Thats wot they fixed up Steve Austin with, wasn't it?

IMO, just stick with a normal safe...... if you think you will need your gun urgently, leave it on the nightstand, & carry around the house.

I have heard of folks with thumb print safes/locks getting their thumb cut off by BG to open the safe/lock (yup, been watchin' too many movies.... again)

If you need to get at your gun, 'right now' you haven't got tome to get to and open ANY safe..... may as well be a cheap one, nuttin' fancy
Old June 5, 2009, 10:07 AM   #6
a7mmnut

IMO, an armed stranger standing in your room at dark-thirty in the a.m just ain't the time for me to be testing technology.

-7-
Old June 5, 2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Bond007

Buy a quality biometric safe, test it, get comfortable with it and relax, but have a back-up plan.

The biometric scanner on my laptop works very well. I'd say 9/10 on the first try and another 9/10 on the second try.

I have several GunVault safes, and currently my first biometric one on order. A friend of mine claims his biometric safe has performed flawlessly, and each of my electronic ones has as well, so I'm willing to believe it.

The biometric scanner provides extremely fast access to a secured weapon. If it fails, you can use the back-up electronic key pad for very fast access. If you both of those fail or you jumble them, you can use the back-up key for reasonably fast access, assuming you have that available.

Given the speed of biometric and electronic key pad, I'm betting that 99% of the time or better you'll have near immediate access.
Old June 5, 2009, 10:56 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Bond, Not as fast as my loaded gun propped up beside my bed...
Brent
Old June 5, 2009, 04:04 PM   #9
orangello

Pass, I watched some lady at Burger King swipe her finger on her register for like 10 minutes the other day; by the time she got it open, i could've dragged myself to tacobell on my lips.
Old June 5, 2009, 04:20 PM   #10
Skans

I trust S&G combination mechanical dials. For guns that I want to make sure I have access to in any condition, I want a pure mechanical lock.

You never know when Terrorists will destroy the power grid and the Zombies will eat up the batteries needed to make electronic toys work.
Old June 5, 2009, 04:45 PM   #11
BillCA

Biometrics are about 98% reliable, depending on the application. But remember what we're talking about here. A gun safe. You lock up your gun when you're not around to prevent unauthorized access.

When you go to sleep at night, where should the gun be? Out of the safe and somewhere that you can acquire it rapidly without getting completely out of bed. On the nightstand or in the drawer. In a holster alongside the bed; in a headboard cubby, etc. In the morning, your "ritual" includes locking up the gun.
Hint: Take gun out of safe, put car keys or wallet in safe to remind you to lock up the gun in the a.m.

Worried about it not recognizing your thumb/fingerprint? Code your stronghand thumb and weakhand index finger. Odds of injuring/damaging both at the same time are low. You can code up to 50 prints in most of 'em.

Tip: For daily use, I'd suggest replacing the batteries twice a year - say New Year's day and July 4th along with smoke detector batteries (or Thanksgiving and Memorial day).

Quote:
Pass, I watched some lady at Burger King swipe her finger on her register for like 10 minutes the other day; by the time she got it open, i could've dragged myself to tacobell on my lips.
Oh, that's funny!
Old June 7, 2009, 08:52 AM   #12
Waitone

I have to use biometrics for passage control and I give it about 80% success.

New does not equal good

Last edited by Waitone; June 7, 2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Fix the wrong word
Old June 7, 2009, 09:36 AM   #13
Bartholomew Roberts

I have no experience with biometric safes; but I did work for a electronics security firm that sold various products, including biometric locks for doors.

Typically what would happen is the customer would buy the locks. The locks would then need to be reprogrammed/adjusted multiple times until they worked. Once they started working, they would work at about 98% - for a brief period of time. Usually, people couldn't resist the novelty of poking their grubby little fingers into the biometric reader as they passed by the door - and they almost never touched the metal bar to discharge any static electricity they had picked up walking around the carpeted offices. The result was most of the locks (which are very sensitive to that static electricity discharge) were dead within a couple of months. Rigorous adherence to plastic mats in front of the readers (insulate) and touching the metal bar before touching the screen (discharge static) would prolong the locks to a year or two of life; but enough people would still have the monkey urge to poke the reader screen that few lasted beyond two years.

No idea whether biometric safes have beat this; but given the amount of money these customers were spending on security systems, I'd be skeptical if a consumer safe that normal people could afford could beat these high-dollar systems. Of course my experience in also over four years old now, which in terms of consumer-electronics time means I might as well be talking about which flint is better for hunting woolly mammoth.
Old June 7, 2009, 11:53 AM   #14
Crankylove

I use a biometric timeclock at work each shift, and have enough issues with it that a biometric lock on a safe is not something I want or would trust. If my hands get too dry while at work, or I get a cut or blister on my fingertip, if you don't hold yourfingertip in the EXACT same position every time, if you have a band aid on, if you have lotion on that didn't get rubbed in enough, or if the sensor is 100% sqeaky clean........it dosent work. There are too many things that can go wrong with a biometric system........I would prefer to use older proven technology dealin with my firearms.
Old June 7, 2009, 01:42 PM   #15
grymster2007

Just Friday, I waited while a salesman tried to login to his notebook using the biometric reader feature.... and I waited and I waited. He finally got it and while the process didn't set us back more 'n about 45 seconds, that would be an unacceptable delay if one needed their firearm right now!
Old June 7, 2009, 03:29 PM   #16
ronto

No Way...

That's why I have a 12 ga. pump packed with 00 Buck in "rack n' go" condition for HD and a 357 wheelgun for a CCW (no laser sight either).
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old June 7, 2009, 11:16 PM   #17
Drachenstein

EMP I'll stick to the dial tumbler. The government also has the ability to fry/scramble electronics, mechanical they can't touch.

Immediate HD? That's what’s in the holster on the bedpost.
Old June 7, 2009, 11:33 PM   #18
JackL

No way, no how.

I like my thumbs just fine for their intended purposes, thanks.

Aside from biometric technologies' potential vulnerability to electronic attack, there are way too many people out there who'd simply lop off whatever body part(s) would allow them to access it.
Old June 7, 2009, 11:36 PM   #19
Hunley

Truly reliable biometrics systems are expensive as hell. Even then, they won't open on the first try half of the time. We have biometric systems on turnstyles to access our facility, and they are down half the time. Even when up, you may have to scan your hand twice.

Plus, if you're super cool like me, you''ll hurt your hand and thus render the scanner useless.
Old June 7, 2009, 11:44 PM   #20
Tucker 1371

Quote:
by the time she got it open, i could've dragged myself to tacobell on my lips.
Ow...

Well, with the youngest person in my family being 15 and no one else really having and interest in guns but he and I, I feel my gun is perfectly safe to leave in the corner on Condition 3.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old June 8, 2009, 12:58 AM   #21
riggins_83

As previously stated if you have a physical injury on your hand, cut, scrape, etc... you're SOL.

I've seen notebook PCs sent back to HP because the person was injured and couldn't get a clean scan on the reader...

And lastly they're incredibly easy to bypass for those in the know.

I'd rather have to remember "13 right, 54 left, 29 right" etc than hope my skin isn't damaged any day.
Old June 9, 2009, 02:15 AM   #22
skeeter

I know that my fingerprint card sometimes comes back as not being readable because my fingers get very dry and cracked here in AZ.
I wonder if this would be an issue with a biometric safe?
Bottom line I would NOT trust it in any case.