The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 19, 2004, 08:16 AM   #1
Apple a Day

All-Out Disappointed

Man, what a letdown.
There I was, ditty-bopping into the gun show at the Hampton Coliseum this weekend. I didn't have much time but was looking forward to gleefully wandering from table to table, sorting through the huge piles of newly-legal full capacity magazines for about half an hour before making a purchase and scooting along on more errands.
So, I stood in line (I can't remember there ever being a real line before to get into the gun show there), got my ticket, and marched in, pausing at the entrance to bask for a moment, taking in the panoramic view of all the tables sagging, even groaning under the collective weight of all the goodies.
Boy, was I disappointed. There was only one consarned table in the whole joint really rigged with mags, and they just carried the same junk they always do.
Oh, if I'd gone there for beef jerky or rubber band guns I would have been set for life, but decent mags were few and far between.
Just to mess with my head, the Fates conspired for me to run into the deputy who works at the school at which I teach. He was coming in as I was going out. He offered to sell me a couple of Glock 19 full-cap mags but, unfortunately, I don't own a '19. That was just a surreal moment.
Earlier in the week, on the 13th in fact, I recieved a new "Shooter's Catalog" from The Sportsman's Guide which had lots of magazines marked "Pre-Ban 100% legal to own!" I guess nobody told them about the sunset. Either that or they made a bad bet about the renewal.
Forgive the rant, I'm just bloody disappointed.
Old September 19, 2004, 11:34 AM   #2
BCBR

That has been our experience as well lately with the gun show. They have changed. we shop thru catalogs,internet forums,pawn shops and gun/sports stores. Totally given up on the Shows,only one to go to is the big one in Tulsa,but that is a dream for us right now. I miss going to the shows and talking ,visiting and catching up on the goings on in diferrent parts of the country. thought of trying to go to Knob Creek next? month but well have to wait and see. good luck and shop smart.
Old September 19, 2004, 11:43 AM   #3
Quartus

Quote:
I recieved a new "Shooter's Catalog" from The Sportsman's Guide which had lots of magazines marked "Pre-Ban 100% legal to own!" I guess nobody told them about the sunset. Either that or they made a bad bet about the renewal.

Give 'em a break! Lead times on most publications of that size run 60 to 90 days, minimum!

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old September 20, 2004, 12:06 AM   #4
Samuel2001

C-mon these guys at the gun show probably have a ton of money invested in mags, lots o money/little product! and besides that the manufacturers havent had enough time to start manufacturing any new mags! The few LE marked mags out thre are not enough to quench the demand anyway. Thats why we robably havent seen any deals!

Build a bridge, and...GET OVER IT!
Old September 20, 2004, 04:11 AM   #5
Rickhead

I figured about three months (at least) before they become readily available again, and reasonably priced.
Old September 20, 2004, 07:32 AM   #6
jad

I'm also disappointed,

I took my teenage son to his first show this weekend. I bought him a Samuri Sword, bandanna, necklace with a dragon, and a cheeseburger. He came home with plenty of stuff and I just got sore feet. I wanted to pick up a Mak or a Thunder .380 but found no real deals on either. I also wanted a couple of hi-cap mags for my 92fs but I only found used junk. These things are turning into flea markets and I'll probably skip the next one.
The day wasn't a complete loss, I got to spend time with my son and I picked up a Thunder .380 at the Gander Mtn on the way home!
Old September 20, 2004, 04:33 PM   #7
Apple a Day

Man, if I had a table there I would have ordered a scad of full capacity mags to be delivered right after the sunset... they could have made a killing with all the people there. Make a sign saying: Celebrate the Sunset- buy a magazine! or something similar. People would have been lining up.
One interesting tidbit was a brand newly manufactured M-1 carbine. It was beee-yewtiful. I forgot which company made it but according to the vendor they were geared up to pump them out now that the AWB has sunset. I may have to start saving up for one. Did I mention it was pretty?
Old September 20, 2004, 05:06 PM   #8
Quartus

Might that have been by Kahr? Under the name Auto-Ordinance, I think?

But I don't think they were covered by the AWB. No pistol grip. Hey, they even stayed legal under Kalifornia's ban.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old September 20, 2004, 10:33 PM   #9
User Name

I have to agree. The last show I went to was a total joke...it wasn't even as good as a decent flea market. More like one of those places where a guy sells junk out of his barn with a "garage sale/flea market here every weekend" sign in his yard!
Although I haven't been to one since the uplifting of the ban, I too expect it too take a couple of months before prices realy drop. It's all about supply and demand, and untill they get their supply up, there will be tons of demand...especialy for stuff like collapsable stocks, bayonets and other goodies that people can put on weapons they already own...
That's just my .02...and alot of times I'm given back change!
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!