The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 21, 2011, 02:18 PM   #1
nogo

Surplus ammo cans

At a local surplus store, I saw a large batch of the usual ammo cans from Ft. Hood. Each was crushed inward on one side. My guess is that they were de-milled for some stupid reason. For me they were ruined, although an innovative person may be able to fix these. I doubt it.

So, for those who may need ammo cans for storage, you might consider shopping for undamaged ones. I don't know if destroying good cans is blanket government policy or just Ft. Hood policy.
Old December 22, 2011, 05:36 PM   #2
medalguy

They sell all the cans they can get to the resale point. Some are good, some are burned, some are half full of oil, some are dented. Just depends on what the cans might have been used for before being sent to the scrap yard. After all, they ARE considered scrap by the military.
Old December 22, 2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Avenger

I've seen a lot of dented cans, but never any that couldn't be salvaged by simply pushing the dent out. And I haven't a clue why any base would be crushing them intentionally..."rendered unsuitable for warlike purposes" would only apply to actual weapons and mounts.
Probably just normal wear and tear...they get thrown down from the truck or tank, then kicked around a bit, then thrown in a dumpster or the back of a pickup, then thrown in a warehouse bin...
Old January 5, 2012, 05:11 AM   #4
ballardw

I've seen pictures of pallets of ammo cans at disposal yards where they have banded them to the pallet and bent most of the cans on the outside of the stack. Sometimes they don't have the lids and it's even worse.
Old January 7, 2012, 12:54 AM   #5
medalguy

Like these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cans.jpg (23.0 KB, 73 views)