The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2008, 06:02 PM   #1
duck911

question about decapping rod for RCBS universal decapper die?

Well, I snapped off the pin on the end of my RCBS decapping die (I like to de-prime separate from neck-sizing).

The pin was REALLY stuck in the little nut that screws onto the end of the decapping rod. I gave up, then, lost the little nut. Oops!

So, All I have is the rod.

Can a guy buy just that nut? (is there a proper name for the part?) I know I can buy the lins, and RCBS, Midwayusa, and others sells the ROD, but according to the stock photographs on these websites the rod does not include the nut.

It stinks, because the expender decapping rods all include them, but apparently the universal rod does not.

Any ideas? RCBS customer service is closed today but I will call them tomorrow.

thanks,

--Duck911
Old January 21, 2008, 06:20 PM   #2
Dlr8

Just Call RCBS, they will take care of you...
Old January 21, 2008, 07:16 PM   #3
ldv444

RCBS universal decap problem

I had one of these......it's the worst piece of gear that they make! It was always breaking those little rods and though RCBS has excellant customer service-I couldn't keep the damn thing operational. Maybe I'm a monkey with a hammer. Never thought I'd say this-but the Lee version is vastly superior. I've been using it for 3yrs and I've never had a problem. Hope this helps.
Old January 21, 2008, 09:31 PM   #4
The Lovemaster

I second that, the Lee decapping die is awesome. The pin is held in place with a collet, so when the pin meets significant resistance, it slips in the collet. Then all you do is loosen it up, put it back in place, and tighten it. It's a great design, I use this die for all my decapping.
Old January 21, 2008, 10:38 PM   #5
duck911

I looked at reviews for both decapping dies on midwayusa.com and it looks like for ~$8 the Lee is the way to go. No one had a negative thing to say about the Lee.

Thanks guys!

--Duck911
Old January 21, 2008, 11:02 PM   #6
UniversalFrost

just call rcbs and they will ship one out for free normally.

Also, I am a LEE hater, but lee universal decapper is the way to go. I have one and bought a few extra pins for it, but I have gone through about 10k rounds decapped and no broken pins. Lee really got it right on this one.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 22, 2008, 09:55 AM   #7
Sevens

Two things worth mentioning about LEE decapping pins:

1) Decapper on the resizing dies are jut as unbreakable and also work with a collet that simply slides up under extreme pressure. Has anyone ever broken a Lee decapper? I never have, and I haven't heard of anyone breaking one.

2) If you don't have a Lee universal decapper, but you do need to de-prime some cases, but you don't want to resize them? You can use the collet neck sizing die if you have one. Spin it out 1 or 1.5 turns and it will deap beautifully and with ease, and never even touch the case or even attempt to neck size it. A terrific tool for decapping if you don't happen to have a universal decap die.