The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 3, 2013, 03:26 AM   #1
lordhedgwich

8x56r

I just ordered my steyr m95/34 from j&g sales is there anywhere i can get ammo for under $30.00 a box? I knew ammo was hard to find, but i didnt realize the surplus was even 2.00 a round.
Old May 3, 2013, 12:49 PM   #2
tahunua001

cabelas has hornady metric classics but I doubt they'll be cheaper than you suggested. ammo availability is the number 1 thing keeping me from buying one of those super cheap 95s.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:17 PM   #3
garryc

Graf and sons has 8x56r brass and bullets.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/12658

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/12618
Old May 5, 2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Mk VII

Unfortunately the bullet is an oddball size used by nothing else, and similarly the cartridge case probably has not been used in any sporting rifle for many years. Unless you can go to cast bullets you may be stuck with these fixed costs.
Old May 5, 2013, 03:11 PM   #5
SaxonPig

Here's an online version of an article I wrote a few years ago about reloading the 8x56R. You must reload to shoot this caliber. At the time no bullets were available. Now some are but they are pricey. Lee made dies and I don't know if anyone else does these days.

Again, if you don't reload the M95 will not be good for you.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Feedin.....-a0243718821
Old May 5, 2013, 06:12 PM   #6
FALPhil

Lee makes a sizer die that you can run jacketed .338 bullets through to get .329 bullets. There are also casting moulds out there for .330 diameter bullets.

Some people have used 7.62x54R brass in the 8x56R. It will work, but there is some gas leakage, so most people download them somewhat.

I have been using Prvi components that I got back when they were plentiful and cheap. I also bought a closeout batch of cast .330 200gr LRNs a while back. I still have about half of them left.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:14 PM   #7
barnbwt

Just rebarrel it to 30-40, 7.62x54R, or 8(Mauser diameter)x56R so you can use the original clips and call it a day

Quote:
Some people have used 7.62x54R brass in the 8x56R. It will work, but there is some gas leakage, so most people download them somewhat
A good idea for any loading in this rifle. It's gas handling is...non existent. A pierced primer will propel the bolt-sleeve straight back, unlocking the bolt under pressure

That's why I'm rebarreling mine in the 40000psi 50 Alaskan:

TCB
Old May 6, 2013, 12:11 PM   #8
BoogieMan

I was able to get 50 rnds surplus nazi from my LGS at $1 each with the clip. I will be ordering some PP or Horn as soon as I find some. I also have the Lee dies that I picked from gunbroker.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 6, 2013, 03:17 PM   #9
FALPhil

Quote:
That's why I'm rebarreling mine in the 40000psi 50 Alaskan:
I read an article a few years ago about a fellow that converted one to 30-40 Krag. Seemed like a good route to take.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:48 AM   #10
BoogieMan

Why re-barrel one? Wouldnt it just be easier and less expensive to start with a different rifle?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 7, 2013, 01:33 PM   #11
tahunua001

Quote:
Why re-barrel one
because even though they are actually semi rare compared to other rifles, they are still dirt cheap and not everyone has one and those that do normally don't rebarrel them so it's one of those things where it would be relatively inexpensive to build yourself a one of a kind rifle.
Old May 7, 2013, 02:15 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

Quote:
because even though they are actually semi rare compared to other rifles, they are still dirt cheap and not everyone has one and those that do normally don't rebarrel them so it's one of those things where it would be relatively inexpensive to build yourself a one of a kind rifle.
Maybe TFL needs a forum called "Bubba's Rifles" instead of Curio and Relics for these posts!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 7, 2013, 05:46 PM   #13
lordhedgwich

I should have mentioned that i dont reload. I knew ammo was somewhat rare when i ordered it.. The rifle just looks so cool And its so cheap i though it would go good with my other bolt actions =D.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:27 AM   #14
BoogieMan

Quote:
I should have mentioned that i dont reload. I knew ammo was somewhat rare when i ordered it.. The rifle just looks so cool And its so cheap i though it would go good with my other bolt actions =D.
Dont worry yet. Its a very cool rifle (thats why I have one) and surplus ammo is still around for under $2 a rnd. Thats not to bad considering the cost of a lot of centerfire ammo. Do some searches and you will find it. If you need endblock/clips I have some extra I would part with for the cost of shipping.
Anyone who has boxer primed brass I would gladly purchase it from you, or trade a few rnds of surplus ammo for it.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 12, 2013, 10:58 AM   #15
TX Hunter

Saxonpig

I read Your article about handloading for the 8X56 and I must say Sir that It was the most interesting thing I have read in a long time. Well done Sir and Bravo.
Old May 12, 2013, 01:05 PM   #16
tahunua001

Quote:
Maybe TFL needs a forum called "Bubba's Rifles" instead of Curio and Relics for these posts!
I fail to see the logic behind your statement...
Old May 13, 2013, 03:24 AM   #17
barnbwt

Everything about these rifles is funky and non-standard, and pretty much all of them are mix-master, cut down, rechambered beaters. They lend themselves to chop jobs very well, since almost any change is an improvement. Replacing broken stocks or relocating the idiotic sling swivel at the grip. Changing the rotted barrel to a real caliber, as opposed to an in-between that isn't used by any other cartridge. Replacing the sights with something that isn't measured in Schritt. Modifying the feed mechanism to use a magazine instead of a flimsy clip (which is itself non-standard).

The list goes on. I'm gonna have about 500$ into the my 50 Alaskan build when I'm finished; I defy anyone to build a straight-pull bolt action for less than that. I won't cut up my K31s because they are nice guns. These are not nice guns (and that's why they cost 100$)

BTW, once the barrel is chambered and headspaced, this thing will feed like a champ single-shot with no other significant change (minor opening of bolt-face)

TCB
Old May 13, 2013, 08:36 AM   #18
TX Hunter

I figure that this Rifle would apeal more to collectors than shooters. But that if there are eneough of them in circulation there will be amunition available, some companies like Privi Partison will load for it if people buy the product.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:46 AM   #19
Cheapshooter

Quote:
some companies like Privi Partison will load for it if people buy the product.
Privi Partizan and Hornady already do. Or at least they did before ammogeddon!
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...spx?c=96&s=956
Old May 13, 2013, 09:04 AM   #20
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I fail to see the logic behind your statement..
Preserving historic military rifles, and enjoying them for what they are. Versis destroying what they were to make something that ends up costing more than a brand new commercially built rifle. Often still ending up with something not as good as could have been bought off the shelf
Yes, after WWII "sporterizing" military rifles became quite popular. An abundant supply of surplus rifles at a cheap price. A very nice hunting rifle could built at a savings compared to commercially avalable guns. Many were beautifully done. On the other hand many were "Bubba'd" hack saw chop jobs.
With well built, accurate, reliable, and relatively afordably priced commercial hunting rifles on the market for the past couple decades or so, the day of the military "sporter" died with Disco, or at least should have.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:21 AM   #21
Mausermolt

if someone enjoys chopping up cheap guns that you can hardly find ammo for....more power to em! my only request would be buy 2 and save one of them unmolested for history's sake.

but i dont see anything wrong with someone turning a crappy old 8X56r into a 50 Alaskan...because they are bored, and want something to work on.

some people want to watch the world burn...and some like to tinker with it
Old May 13, 2013, 10:43 AM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
if someone enjoys chopping up cheap guns that you can hardly find ammo for....more power to em!
Yes, but:
Quote:
Although my chosen thread title may be a bit extreme, the idea is once the "chopping" begins, by BATF definition, the gun is no longer a Curio & Relic firearm as the title of this forum indicates. therefore modifications of C&R surplus rifles would better fit in The Smithy forum, or Art of the Rifle forum.
Old May 14, 2013, 08:55 PM   #23
DennisCA

Re-Barrel my M95 Steyr? Never!

I had my Steyr M95 since last Nov and only had a chance to shoot it once but it's a kind of gun I'm only going to take out once and a while anyways.
(My shoulder is thankful, I'm sure!) I was lucky enough to find some that had some reloads (I traded some 7.62 that I had lying around). AIMS Surplus had some but they're out of stock right now. Also Youtube has a couple of good video's on reloading the 8X56r.
BTW - Here's mine:

Old June 5, 2013, 07:07 PM   #24
Melkiper

I just Ordered a M95 from JG today. This is my first purchase from them, any idea what I can expect for shipping time and what condition the rifle will be in? thanks!

Even though im not gonna be able to shoot it much I really think I will enjoy having this rifle in my collection

PS Beautiful Rifle Dennis
Old June 5, 2013, 08:16 PM   #25
tahunua001

Quote:
Although my chosen thread title may be a bit extreme, the idea is once the "chopping" begins, by BATF definition, the gun is no longer a Curio & Relic firearm as the title of this forum indicates. therefore modifications of C&R surplus rifles would better fit in The Smithy forum, or Art of the Rifle forum.
this is not relevent here. ATF does not make that definition, the morons that wrote US code 922R/925D made that distinction as a means of keeping as many 'scary rifles' as possible out of peoples hands. a gun does not have to be original condition or military surplus to be considered a C&R. a gun that was sporterized in the 60s is still a C&R peice, just like a winchester 1894 with a flip up sight is still a C&R, regardless of whether it's a bubba gun or not and regardless of what someone has done to a gun in the past. all of the enfied, mauser, springfield, arisaka, carcano, mosin nagant, winchester, krag, remington, and colt experts that like those old guns and intimately know their mechanics hang out here. not in the 'bubba country' forums.