The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 23, 2009, 02:15 PM   #1
sthrnfryedyankee

Is it safe to chamber a live around

on an action that has had bolt stripped of the firing pin and mechanism after checking headspace to make sure the bullet cycles and loads properly?
Old March 23, 2009, 03:37 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you mean is the live round likely to go off, I can't see how with no firing mechanism in the bolt. If you do much action testing, it would be a good idea to make up some dummy rounds ("reloads" without primer or powder) for that purpose so you don't need to strip the bolt for safety.

Jim
Old March 23, 2009, 03:43 PM   #3
sthrnfryedyankee

The only reason I stripped the bolt was to set headspace for a barrel change. I was told that that is the correct way to accurately set headspace
Old March 24, 2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Lunicy

The round won't go off if that's what you are wondering. They do have gauges for this purpose.
Old March 24, 2009, 11:34 AM   #5
sthrnfryedyankee

I have a gauge but after setting it and checking it I have heard that sometimes the round is still slightly tight going into the chamber
Old March 24, 2009, 12:14 PM   #6
Crosshair

It shouldn't, but for me as a CYA I do stuff like that in the basement with the muzzle pointed at the poured concrete floor/wall. If it does fire, then at least nothing is going to make it outside the house.
Old March 24, 2009, 12:15 PM   #7
ISC

No, as soon as you load a round in a gun it immediately fires. That is why you should NEVER load a live round in a firearm. In fact, just storing ammo in the vicinity of a firearm can make it go off spontaneously.

Seriously though, you're safe. I'm not sure from your original post if you know the difference btween a bullet and a cartridge. Reloading can be dangerous if you aren't meticulous about attention to detail, read up on the topic and find a mentor to teach you the basics...
Old March 25, 2009, 02:50 AM   #8
sadsack

Southern: You are correct in removing the firing pin to use the headspace gauges. That lets you feel the bolt close on the guage without the spring pressure.
Best to take Keenan's advice on the dummy rounds. If you use your dies they will be the same size as your live rounds.

(edit) Are you about ready to post pictures?
Old March 25, 2009, 05:25 AM   #9
sthrnfryedyankee

ISC I do know the difference between a bullet and a cartridge. For some reason when I made the post, the knowledge I had on that particular subject flew out the window (A brain fart if you will)

See my issue is I am not a reloader so I have no access to dummy rounds. As far as pictures Mcgowen messed up the barrel they were making me so it will be next week when HOPEFULLY my new one is done and then a pictures I will post.

Thanks everyone for their help
Old March 25, 2009, 11:00 AM   #10
longrifles, Inc

It's safe to load any cartridge in any rifle so long as the four cardinal rules of firearms safety are observed and so long as the firearm operates properly.
Old March 27, 2009, 04:39 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

I agree, longrifles, but those are two big IFs. I don't use live rounds in the shot to test feeding; even if an AD did no harm to anything else, my ears would take a beating.

Jim