The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 15, 2007, 01:15 PM   #1
HiltonFarmer

Black Badge course - what to expect?

Newbie to IPSC shooting and I will be taking the Black Badge program next month. Could anyone tell me what to expect during this 2 day training program?

I was instructed to bring 4 or 5 mags and approx 3 - 400 cartridges. Seems like a lot for a two day event!

If anyone could elaborate on the program, I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks in advance

HiltonFarmer
Old January 19, 2007, 12:26 PM   #2
240wby

Just saw your post, so you are probably finished by now, but if not...The range officers and instructors are going to be looking for basic gun handling skills. Practice draws, reloads, shifting the gun from hand to hand etc. The shooting will have liberal time limits and close ranges (10 yds. or so). Try to make A zone hits as you don't have to race the clock. You should know ALL of the different safety infractions. If you blow this part you will try try again.
Old January 20, 2007, 07:50 PM   #3
HiltonFarmer

Quote:
You should know ALL of the different safety infractions.
Is this with respect to section 10 of the IPSC rule guide?

Thanks for the feedback and no I haven't started it yet. Beginning of the month.

HiltonFarmer
Old January 20, 2007, 08:23 PM   #4
240wby

The RO's doing the course will try to determine if you are a safe gun handler. You should be versed in the aspects and rules of safety laid out by IPSC. The more obvious would be: 90 degree muzzle rule, moving with finger in trigger guard. Less obvious: if you lose ear or eye protection you will be DQed from that stage etc. Some small stages may be set up in the course to test you on the various infractions. I have not seen a current edition of the IPSC rulebook for awhile. I competed for 11 years, the last 8 in A class. I attained CRO status and designed several provincial championship matches. I wish you luck in your pursuit of the IPSC game.
Old January 21, 2007, 03:06 AM   #5
Jeff22

canadian IPSC

Not to hi-jack your thread too much, but I have the impression that IPSC in Europe had gone in one direction in course design, and USPSA in another. Specifically, that European IPSC stages are much shorter and those commonly found in the U.S.

Do you know if this is true? And does this impact course design in the great North?

(I personally prefer simple IPSC and IDPA courses because my focus is mostly on improving my skill with my duty gun. When I do design or administer matches, it's usually in the winter on an indoor range, and circumstances dictate that we keep the stages simple)

If European IPSC stages tend to be simpler, then I'd really like to get my hands on one of their course of fire books.
Old January 21, 2007, 06:06 AM   #6
240wby

I am probably not the guy talk to on that aspect, I have been retired from the sport for some time and have not stayed current in these type of trends. When I was active, course design, stage length, prop design varied from area to area, club to club. It boils down to the people behind the scenes that put the effort into the matches. I have shot provincial level matches that were more enjoyable, had better stage design, better props etc. than some of the Canadian Nationals. My own opinion on course and stage design is, make it a shooting match rather than a foot race.