The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 14, 2017, 02:59 PM   #1
deermaster

Savage Axis Durability.

Curious about the quality of the axis barreled action. Non accutrigger and crappy stock aside, barreled action vs. barreled action only, do you think Savage uses lesser quality metal in the bolt and barrel of the Axis vs a 110-116? I guess what I'm asking is side by side, do you all think an Axis would last as many shots without sone sort of hardware failure as a 110-116?
Old January 14, 2017, 05:16 PM   #2
reynolds357

The steel is the same quality. The Axis is simply designed so that it can be built with less machine time. In building rifles, CNC time is money.
It is kind of funny, for years we have taken Remington 700 bolts, turned and milled actions for them that are similar to the AXIS/American actions,(only more beefed up) and built bench rest rifles out of them. Now, we complain because the manufacturers are machining the actions the way they should have been doing it all along.
Old January 14, 2017, 06:44 PM   #3
VoodooMountain

The only real weak point is the magazine.
Old January 15, 2017, 12:55 AM   #4
stagpanther

Quote:
The only real weak point is the magazine.
I agree with this; even though in all the years I've bashed my axes around in the woods hunting I've yet to lose one.

Last edited by stagpanther; January 15, 2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old January 15, 2017, 11:16 AM   #5
godale

I see for about 479 you can get them with the accu trigger and a hard wood stock . For that price in my area I will ante up another 100 and buy a 111 or 11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 15, 2017, 11:35 AM   #6
jakesnake66

Excellent rifle. Many people disagree with the choice of Axis, because for "just a little more" you can get this or that, but to me the Axis makes a lot of sense. My son has owned one for 5 years, and he's treated it exactly like I knew he would - terribly - and it's held up great. It's been "rode hard and put up wet" countless times, and right this minute I could load up some 150 grain Speer Hot Cors with about 50 grains of IMR4320 and put 5 shots within 1.5" at 100 yards. It's crazy accurate, and it's dead reliable.
Old January 15, 2017, 01:09 PM   #7
Dufus

^^^^^^^^
Excellent answer.

Arthur Savage founded Savage Arms in 1894.

One would think that after 123 years of manufacturing firearms, the company would have gotten something right.

I think those that talk down on the likes of Savage, Mossberg, and some others are just after prestige. They all go boom when the trigger is pulled with a cartridge in the chamber and most all of them are accurate enough for the every day hunter. Some are way more accurate than the average hunter needs.
Old January 15, 2017, 01:17 PM   #8
Lwh4207

My dad bought a savage axis 243 and bushnell scope for 295 bucks brand new. I took it and sighted it in, to my surprise it shot great. Three shots touching at 100 yards. I moved the scope once and it put three shots on the bullseye. That was a year ago and it has been riding in feed trucks and tractors every since. I shot it the other day and it was shooting the exact same place as when I sighted it in. That was with cheap Winchester super x ammo. I think they are probably the best rifle for the money.
Old January 15, 2017, 01:46 PM   #9
stagpanther

Whenever the savage axis bashing starts--I love to post this 100 yd group from my $275 308--4 shots pretty close together in timing. Savage must be doing something right with these things. ; )
Old January 15, 2017, 04:51 PM   #10
godale

I have a hb axis in 223. Very accurate with 62 grain federal . It was on sale for 399 and had a 50 rebate . It had the accutriger and a package bushnell on it . Sold that for 50 and upgraded to a legend .for about 635 I got a nice gun . I know they are accurate but I am just not a fan of the pencil barrel models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 16, 2017, 08:26 PM   #11
jmr40

Not just the Axis, but I've found most of the budget rifles shoot very well indeed. And they hold up reasonably well.

The real problem is long term value. I'm not just talking about the Axis, but all of what I call the "disposable" rifles that are so common today. They are built to last for a lifetime of use with the typical hunter. If you're the type of guy who shoots a lot more than that you will eventually see parts wearing out sooner than on other rifles. And most of the time the cost to repair will exceed the guns value. I've seen that come up quite often on various gun related forums already with guns 3-5 years old.

My crystal ball isn't perfect, but the Axis isn't the 1st budget gun ever made. They've been building similar guns for decades. I can pay less than $300 for an Axis rifle, or $700-$900 for a top end rifle. The $300 rifle may well shoot as well or better than the $900 rifle.

But based on past performance 30 years from now most of the Axis rifles made today will be in the scrap heap and the ones still working will bring about what they cost new or slightly more. The $900 rifle in 30 years will likely be worth at least 2X and maybe up to 4X what it sold for new. Which cost less in the long run? The top end rifle is the answer.

That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with buying and using them. I have a mix of nice rifles as well as some budget guns. They are what they are. They are fine for shooting at the range or even local hunting. I wouldn't want one in my hands if my life depended on it working, or on an out of state hunt that was costing me money.

Winston Churchill
Old January 16, 2017, 09:02 PM   #12
RC20

While I agree on value, I think the scrap heap is overstated for Savage and Axis. The others, I don't know. Rugerr probably good as well.

Barrels wear out, the most costly gun is not going to do any better than a lower cost one.

Typical hunting use that econo rifle is going to last forever, there is not a whole lot to wear out. 10 rounds a year, 30 year, 300 rounds?

My two Savages probably have 1000 rounds through them each, going fine.

Axis is just a updated design to reduce hand tool and parts counts.

Bolts are prolific, parts will be around forever. Not much else to go wrong, after market triggers if needed.

The stock may get beat up, lots of those after market as well.

They may be beat up in 30 years, still shoot and fine truck guns or bad weather guns you don't have to worry about, but scrap heap I don't think so.
Old January 17, 2017, 12:08 AM   #13
brianinca

Firearms are strong, regardless of how cheaply made they are. I have an OLD Remington 788 in 308 with a really nice Burris Full Field (made in USA). I don't understand the rep they have, it's a cheaply made rifle with a crummy magazine system, crummy trigger, plastic safety - blech. It's a decent 1.5 MOA rifle, and with an aftermarket plastic stock is easy to shoot and carry. My oldest took his first buck opening day 2015 with it - and he's a lefty.

My FIL has a 70's high dollar blingy Remmy 700 in 270 Win. He dumped it after 30+ years for a shiny Ruger 77 Mk 2 in 300 Win Mag. He asked me if I wanted to buy it from his bailiff on a divorce sale for $400. I said HELL YES! and he bought it instead (smart guy). Nothing wrong with that Remington but 30 years of neglect - my boys cleaned up that rifle and a half-dozen more over Christmas break this year, Hoppe's and stainless steel wool and elbow grease.

My oldest got a Ruger American 308 lefty after his 2nd year hunting - he takes it seriously, now he has a serious rifle. Being California, I had to pay full book for a special order, but his Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x50 and Warne rings cost what his rifle did. That thing SHOOTS. Pencil barrel and plastic stock and all, he got bored after the first three 5 shot groups and took to shooting from position. Stupid accurate with Barnes bullets handloaded for the 788, in fact we haven't found anything it doesn't shoot well.

Cheap rifles now are WAY better than cheap rifles even a dozen years ago. Everyone copied Savage and their barrel nut/tubular receiver (NOT a Remmy 700 innovation) and quit trying to cheap out with a barrel extension for the bolt to go into.

We are in tall grass for good rifles for PENNIES compared to the olden days.
Old January 17, 2017, 04:42 PM   #14
reynolds357

Just being honest, there are plenty of gun snobs that will find fault with anything cheaper than Sako.
Old January 17, 2017, 05:46 PM   #15
RC20

Sako is nice, beautifully done gun, the kind you might buy to pass down generations.

Axis, nope, but it will last just as long.
Old January 19, 2017, 08:35 PM   #16
elkhunter59

I bought one for winter coyote hunging in a 22-250. I bought mine for $299.00 when they first come out. I didn't want a 600.00 gun that was going to get beat up on a snowmobile. The rifle is accurate and it has held up. I did buy a lighter trigger spring at the hardware store. Much better. This gun serves it's purpose and I don't care about the scratches in it.