The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 10, 2017, 02:45 PM   #1
Monday

Homemade revolver (pepperbox), how to make it revolver?

Hello, i sketching on a simple pepperbox gun which i will make from scratch.

I want to keep it simple, and i need some ideas/solutions on how to operate the mechanism.

The gun look like this http://m.imgur.com/knNH39r

It's basically a pepperbox (mini cannon) cylinder attached to a philadelphia derringer stock, with a matchlock (stormlighter) instead of a caplock mechanism.

But i need a solution for the revolver mechanism, since i want the gun to be able to operate with only one hand, like a ordinary revolver.

Any ideas?
Old January 10, 2017, 04:26 PM   #2
AKexpat

Maybe you could use this as a starter and modify as you need. It is all CNC machined and will work well mechanically with one hand. Unless you want to turn the cylinder by hand (which you have stated "no"), you will need an action that turns the cylinder with a hand and locks the cylinder in firing position in alignment with the barrel when cocking the hammer. I never created a pistol as complicated as that from scratch so I am just offering this as a suggestion. The action is already in place, you can order parts from Pietta through Taylor's or VTI if you screw something up, and you might be able to modify it to your situation.

If you are that creative/ambitious you might be able to find/create a birdshead backstrap/grip with a bit of work.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoot..._SEQ_567338580

You might also go to Dixie Gun Works for other possible alternatives.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/produc...7ad4kg49pqf4f0

Good luck with your endeavors!

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Last edited by AKexpat; January 10, 2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old January 12, 2017, 07:17 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I would look at the lockwork of a S&W revolver and a Taurus DA revolver. Taurus simplified the S&W but I'd stay with S&W as much as I could. Granted the rebound slide would be a pain to make and you could eliminate the hammer block. I'd get rid of the yoke (the part that the cylinder swings out on) and use a center-pin instead (like the Colt SAA).