The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 21, 2006, 01:24 PM   #1
backtobethel

Reduced loads in 30-30 (would you do this?)

I'm new to reloading, but have been doing a lot of reading (lee manual, hornady manual and on the internet). I'm considering loading up some 110g RN sierra with H335 at 20 grains (hoping to get down to 1600fps) for some fun plinking rounds. The information I'm using is coming from the Lee manual (on calculating reduced loads). This powder seems to fit within what Lee describes as okay powders to reduce (according to the burn rate chart). In fact, I believe Lee lists some reduced loads for the 30-30 using H335 in the new manual. Am I playing with fire? There seems to be a lot of information and possible misinformation about reduced loads and the powders that are okay for this application. Anyone have any thoughts on this particular load or experience with other reduced loads for the 30-30? At what point should reduced loads use fillers? Thats all for now
Old September 21, 2006, 03:35 PM   #2
Smokey Joe

Reduced loads

Backtobethel--First of all, GOOD ON YOU for researching first! Reading up in published loading manuals is the intelligent way to obtain loading data.

Re: Reduced loads for .30-30: I wouldn't, because it's a light cartridge anyhow, and the POI would probably change (necessitating a resetting of the sights) when I switched back to my hunting ammo. I'd go with cheap FMJ bullets of the same weight as my hunting bullets for economy if that is the question.

--Smokey Joe
Old September 21, 2006, 10:08 PM   #3
cobra81

Reduced .30/30 loads

I'm not all that sure you should use H335 in reduced loads that far below published loads, especially just starting out, unless they are specifically listed in a trusted reloading manual.

When you say "fun, plinking rounds", I'm guessing low recoil and ability to shoot to your heart's content without bruising your shoulder and pocketbook are what you're getting at.

Why not try 15 grains of SR 4759 behind a 100 grain plinker bullet? This should give you a little over 1800 fps and be very recoil-friendly.

There are also some good reduced loads published using Unique powder.

*Be especially careful when you are charging your cases. With a small amount of powder in a .30/30 case, if you accidentally double-charge one, you won't overflow the case like you would with a full-power load, so a double-charged case might go unnoticed until it's too late, with disastrous results.

Whenever I load reduced rounds in any caliber, I have gotten into the habit of peering into the charged cases with a penlight before seating the bullets, to verify a uniform level of powder in each case. If there is a double-charged case in the loading block, I want to find it now.
Old September 21, 2006, 10:30 PM   #4
rem33

We have been having good results with Unique in reduced loads. Data was from Lyman manuals using cast bullets. From what I have been able to read jacketed bullets work fine using the same loads as cast lead, which is what we've been shooting.
Pretty accurate and fun without much muzzle blast or recoil.

Watching to not double charge is good advice. I weigh and load one at a time for this reason

Some good threads on reduced loads, in the forums at

http://www.accuratereloading.com/index.html
Old September 22, 2006, 01:35 AM   #5
tINY

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/...ss-oct2005.php

Give this a try...

-tINY

wder.com/data/rifle/trailboss-oct2005.php
Old September 24, 2006, 05:30 PM   #6
Ammo Junky

I have had good luck with 150 rn, 29.0 H335 1950fps. win case wlr for a light load.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old September 24, 2006, 08:58 PM   #7
backtobethel

tINY-

Thanks for the heads up. That stuff looks perfect. A great marketing job by IMR as well. It appears to be a part of the market that needs to be tapped. They have a load listed for 30-30 160gr bullet moving from approx. 900fps to 1200fps from their lightest listed load to the heaviest. Perfect for what I'm looking at doing. For those that are interested, see the lever gun research here for a good read: http://gmdr.com
Old October 3, 2006, 01:13 PM   #8
RadioTech

Here is a link to Hodgdon reduced loads...

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/youth/index.php
Old October 4, 2006, 07:42 PM   #9
amamnn

Reduced loads for the .30-30 110 grain cast bullets using H335 is indeed liated in Modern Reloading second edition. page 140. The lightest load listed is 18.0 grains yielding a muzzle velocity of 1610 fps.
Old October 11, 2006, 12:22 AM   #10
Clark

H335 is a ball powder and is not good for reduced loads like flake or some stick powders.

I like 30-30 1977 Win 94 CCI200, .2.58" [ammo too long jams feeding] Lyman mold 311291 170 gr .309" bullet round nose 3 lube bands, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 gr IMR4895

That is single shot and wimpy, but good accuracy with 25 gr.