The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 21, 2006, 08:48 AM   #1
mjrodney

Salvaging the Tumbler - Maintenance Tip

My 6 month old Frankford Arsenal tumbler started to have motor problems, slowing periodically as if it were straining.

Removing all brass and media didn't help, so I "popped the hood" on it and I found the "sealed" bearings to be rough, dry and sticky.

I hit it with some BreakFree lube and let it set overnight. Problem solved.

A bit of BreakFree every couple of months will hopefully keep this inexpensive device running longer.
Old November 21, 2006, 09:41 AM   #2
XD-Guy

Great Tip thanx. I have the same tumbler. No problems yet (7 months old) I'll keep an eye on her Will these berings be easy to find?
Old November 21, 2006, 10:12 AM   #3
v65magnafan

Breakfree CLP fixed the creaking in my Crown Vic's front suspension, too.

I wonder what if it will help my arthritis
Old November 21, 2006, 11:34 AM   #4
Edward429451

Thats what killed my first tumbler, a big Lyman. I pulled that motor out and planted it on supply house counters all over town. No one could get that motor or had any clue where to get one. Apparently it was made speciffically for Lyman. Keep using that Breakfree.
Old November 21, 2006, 04:21 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
No one could get that motor or had any clue where to get one.
Did you try Lyman? If your's wasn't the first complaint, they might have replaced it free or had an improved version to replace it with. My old Turbo 1200 has kept going for years and years.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 21, 2006, 06:20 PM   #6
Edward429451

Yes I did. They said there's no user servicable parts inside and there was no way to open the cabinet. I used a dremel & a cut off wheel and cut the vent grid notches on the bottom of the unit to gain access.

Actually, this was my 2nd problem with the tumbler. The first time it just went totally dead and I opened it up to find a loose electrical connection. Fixed that. Lyman wants the whole tumbler back and 80 bucks to send me a new one.
Old November 21, 2006, 07:20 PM   #7
hodaka

My 20 year old Lyman threw the weight that makes it vibrate off of the motor shaft. I also cut out the screen underneath and glued it back on the shaft. So far, so good after a year.
Old November 21, 2006, 07:23 PM   #8
Ammo Junky

I have the Frankford Arsenal tumbler. I have had it 3yr with little problem. I have found and have heard from others that the motor mount bolts come loose and fall into the cooling fan and burn up the motor. I heard mine fall into the fan and unpluged it. I was able to save mine. Once a yr I take the cover off and blow it out with compressed air and tighten the bolts / nuts. I also change the media once a year. Now that Frankford Arsenal's popularity has forced rcbs to drop their price form $120 to $60. I would go with the rcbs. It has a much better motor and better everything else too. I love the free market. I bought an rcbs when My Frankford Arsenal first started making the noise, before I fixed it. I have been waiting for it to die so I can start using the rcbs, but it doesn know how.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old November 21, 2006, 08:11 PM   #9
mjrodney

XD-Guy, yes they are easy to find, but you have to take the bottom plate off (3 screws in the rubber feet) for the bottom bearing, the bowl (wing nut) and 4 hex nuts under the bowl, for the top bearing.

Two of the hex nuts are larger than the other two, but that should pose no problem.

Don't disconnect any wiring....just let everything hang loose. Hit both bearings (you will see them) with BreakFree.

Reattach the screws and let it be for a while. Later, fire it up and it should be fine.
Old November 22, 2006, 06:19 AM   #10
XD-Guy

Thanx Rodney