The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old July 25, 2002, 12:59 AM   #1
SteelyDan

Creating a knife section?

I enjoy collecting knives, and I suspect that a majority of TFL members are also interested in knives. There have been a number of times I would have liked to ask a knife question to the group, but have avoided doing so because it would be off-topic. Still, I've got the nagging feeling I'm probably not the only one who would like to see a section opened on hunting and collectible knives. You've probably thought about this before, but for what it's worth, I'll cast my vote in favor of opening up a knife forum.
Old July 25, 2002, 09:13 AM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Edged Weapons posts are welcome in AFCQC or General. For the full deal, see our sister site at http://www.bladeforums.com It doesn't get better than that!
Rich
Old July 25, 2002, 09:57 AM   #3
ahenry

There is also a good site here www.folders-r-us.org. It has good info, but it is not quite as big as places like TFL and bladeforums, so you don’t always get as fast a response as you would at those other two. Still a good site though.
Old July 26, 2002, 01:03 AM   #4
SteelyDan

Thanks for the responses. My response, in turn, is as follows:

1. ahenry: I appreciate the reference, it's one I hadn't picked up on before and I will check it out.

2. Rich: I've been reading BladeForums for a year or more, ever since I developed this knife habit, and it's a great site. I have no idea what a "sister site" is, but maybe that's part of the reason there's not a dedicated knife section here??? If so, I can certainly understand the reason for avoiding the duplication.

3. I just checked AFCQC (for the first time, maybe), and it's really not a knife forum, at least based on the dozen-or-so active posts. Also, I check out the General forum pretty regularly, and I can't remember ever seeing a knife post there. (Having said this, I suppose someone could check and find dozens, but my point is that it's just not a knife forum.)

So, I'll repeat that I'm only offering some "food for thought." A dedicated knife section does seem like a natural complement to the other sections, just in case you're laying in bed at night thinking "how can we improve this site?" Of course, my wife will verify my instincts aren't always right...
Old July 26, 2002, 08:57 AM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Dan-
I don't take issue with the suggestion. However, I don't like taking on anything that we can't absolutely excel at. With Spark's BladeForums and Mad Dog's TacticalForums out there, we'd be a very distant second. Not our style.
Rich
Old July 30, 2002, 01:30 AM   #6
SteelyDan

I understand. I try very hard to adhere to the same standard at work. Just for kicks, tho, I'm going to post a knife question on the General forum, since that question is actually what inspired this post in the first place. If the question dies a quick and painful death, please forget I ever raised the issue in the first place.