The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 28, 2001, 06:43 PM   #1
macondas

Buttplates for Mausers

Hi all,

I've a 1943 Turk mauser that I need to replace the buttplate on. I've seen trapdoor models that say the sellers say were removed from Siamese mausers.

Can anyone speak to the interchangeability of parts such as this from one make to another?

Thanks

Jim B
Old June 30, 2001, 09:12 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Siamese Mauser buttplate appears to be a slight bit narrower than the buttplates on the K98k and VZ-24, but I don't have a Turkish Mauser to measure. The gate in the buttplate is not actually a trapdoor, though, it is a swinging plate that is pulled out of the way by a little tab on the right side of the buttplate. The Siamese Mauser buttplate also has a top tang (like the Japanese rifles) so that the screw goes in from the top rather than from the top corner of the butt like most Mausers. Nor do the Mausers have a stock hole to enable the buttplate door to be meaningful.

I think the Siamese buttplate could be put on any Mauser, but it would require fitting.

Jim
Old July 1, 2001, 09:11 PM   #3
macondas

Thanks!!

I was beginning to worry about the obtuseness of my post! I don't understand about the top tang that you mention for this buttplate. The picture that I've seen on the website didn't show anything unusual, looked very much like a regular, flat, mauser buttplate. I believe that the pic was at www. reesesurplus.com if that helps. This tang you are mentioning does concern me however. I hope that it would be fittable to the stock. As to the hole in the stock, I have drills

Thanks again for your help!!
Old July 2, 2001, 12:51 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, macondas,

Most Mausers have a buttplate that sort of rolls over at the top with only a little bit visible if you look straight down. The top screw goes into that "corner" at an angle. But the Siamese Mauser was made in Japan, and its buttplate is like the Japanese rifles. It has a top tang (extension) that fits into the top of the butt, so the screw goes straight down rather than at an angle. This can be fitted by removing some wood at the top of the stock, or by grinding off the tang and drilling a new screw hole in the buttplate itself.

Normal Mauser buttplates are available (try www.gunpartscorp.com), and it may be easier to buy one than to bother fitting that Siamese Mauser buttplate, especially since the door cannot be of any use unless the stock is drilled out.

Of course, there are alternatives like recoil pads and plastic buttplates, but these will require more fitting.

Jim

This is a later edit. I went to the Reese site and could not find the buttplates you mentioned. I must have missed something.

Jim
Old July 2, 2001, 05:37 PM   #5
macondas

http://www.reesesurplus.com/mauser.html

Second from the last item down. Although I must admit that this doesn't match your description. Might it be something else then?

I don't mind drilling the stock for a storage spot. This is for a beatup trunk gun, not a restoration piece.

HTH

Jim B
Old July 2, 2001, 10:47 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

That is a cup type buttplate, not a Siamese Mauser butt plate. That type buttplate would require even more work, since the wood has to be inletted all the way around.

I guess I don't quite understand what you are trying to do. I forget whether the Turk has a trapdoor or not, but I didn't think so.

If the Turk buttplate is a standard Mauser type and it is worn or damaged and you just want to replace it with the original type, Gun Parts Corp. has Mauser 98 buttplates for under $5.00 and those should fit. If you want something different, then you will have to fit whatever you want.

Jim