The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 23, 2007, 11:06 AM   #26
Magnum Wheel Man

Key word here is "I"...

Probably wouldn't feel comfortable shooting in steep angled mountains at 300 + yards...

... exceptions being...

a monster trophy with no chance to get closer...
I had a chance to "really" sight in the rifle at that angle & distance...
I had the time to use a good range meter, calculate my shot, & calm my nerves...
Old May 23, 2007, 11:34 AM   #27
Jason_G

Quote:
Nope, but to each their own. I'd like to learn to bow hunt one day. I admire those who tilt the odds away from certain success.
Go for it. It's a whole lot of fun. I've been hunting with my recurve for the last few seasons, no sights- strictly traditional, and it's been a blast. I haven't killed anything with it yet, and I've seen plenty of deer that would've been dead if I'd had my rifle, but the challenge is so much fun that I don't regret it one bit. I've had more fun letting deer get within 10-20 yds and waiting for a clear shot just to let them slip off without getting a good shot than I have had actually taking deer at 50-100 yds with a rifle. You get to see and notice alot more things about the deer that you would've missed out on by taking them at longer ranges. It's a real blast to have a buck within 10 yds of you, while you are just waiting for the perfect shot with your stick and string. That said, I ain't givin' up the gun altogether, either. I like to have meat on the table !

To the OP: I disagree with his (Outdoor channel guy's) philosophy. It might actually work for him, I don't know. My question is where's the fun in it?

Jason
Old May 23, 2007, 02:31 PM   #28
don_hamer

I agree with you... I think it is opposite of what, at least, I try to accomplish hunting.
http://www.thefirearmdirectory.com - Add Your Firearm/Gun/Weapons Website
Old May 23, 2007, 07:12 PM   #29
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Try hunting mountain goats or bighorns. Very difficult to get withing 200 yards of where they stand let alone 100. Almost mandatory that you be able to take a long shot.
Old May 23, 2007, 09:26 PM   #30
tronman

I've hunted mulies with a buddy of mine out in West Texas for years. With the canyons and open spaces getting very close is sometimes not all that easy. A 300yd shot is about average where we hunt...having said that...my buddy hunts with a .243 and I've seen him drop big mulies with a single shot at over 600yds. I've seen him punch paper with that gun much further...just wish I could do that.
Old May 24, 2007, 10:50 AM   #31
Jason_G

I guess it depends on the game and the terrain, but I always have alot more fun when I can get in close or get them to come in close on me. I know you might not be able to do that with certain game and in certain areas (mountains, etc.), but I hunt mostly whitetails, in the woods, and the excitement of having a big buck within spitting distance (even if it is to no avail) is alot more exhillerating than taking one at 200 yds or so where there isn't nearly as much chance of you being detected. I think the danger of losing the prey makes hunting alot more exciting. Just my opinion.

Jason
Old May 24, 2007, 03:07 PM   #32
Mannlicher

Quote:
In fact, he says, it is so effective at long range, he's decided (and recommends the same for the viewer) that there is now never any need to get closer to your game than 300 yards. He explains that there's a far less chance of a blown stalk,
the surprise here is that anyone listens to an outdoor channel with the sound on. I have never seen so much misinformation, dumb suggestions, and BS in my life as I see and hear on one of those shows.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 24, 2007, 04:35 PM   #33
Jason_G

Quote:
the surprise here is that anyone listens to an outdoor channel with the sound on. I have never seen so much misinformation, dumb suggestions, and BS in my life as I see and hear on one of those shows.
+1. Most of what you see is bunk that is designed to sell stuff to guys that think they just have to have the coolest, latest, most expensive toys to bag a buck. That said, I still enjoy watching it sometimes

Jason