The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 17, 2004, 09:32 PM   #1
swglenn

Win 70 30-06 to .300 Win Mag

I inheirited this gun. It has 300 WinMag stamped above the 30-06 on the barrel. Is there anything to doing this other than reaming a new chamber? If this was done well is this a safe gun to shoot? Is there anything I should check before shooting?
Old November 19, 2004, 01:03 AM   #2
gxi.llc

The bolt would also have to have been changed, as the .300 has a larger case head than the .30-'06. I think I'd take it to a reputable smith to have it looked at before firing. He should be able to tell you a lot more about it.
Old December 8, 2004, 05:39 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The feed rails have to be adjusted as well, but the conversion is feasible and safe. One caution. If it is push feed, check to make sure that if a round is chambered and the bolt not fully locked, then another round is fed the bullet point of the new round won't hit the primer of the round in the chamber. This can happen when a rifle is reworked for another round and the possible danger is obvious.

Jim
Old December 8, 2004, 06:20 PM   #4
grawk

Seems to me that you'd be better off selling the 30-06 and buying the 300 winmag, or trading. Both these guns are in production. I would save the caliber conversions for guns that don't exist in that caliber.
Old December 9, 2004, 10:14 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Grawk,

Maybe I misunderstood, but I think swglenn's rifle has already been converted. He just wants to know if it is safe to shoot or if there may be some problem with it. As far as I can tell, it should be OK.

Jim
Old December 12, 2004, 09:21 PM   #6
swglenn

I took the gun to a local gunsmith and he said it was good to shoot. The bolt had been machined and the extractor cut back for the larger magnum case head. After adjusting the scope it shot three into 1-1/4" @ 100. I then shot two at 300 yds about 3/4" apart and put it up after cleaning it (arm was sore). It seemed to shoot better the more I shot it.
My friend's 12 year old son had a 3 shot group of 1-1/4" at 400 yds. with his semi custom 308 (Model 70 action, Hart barrel, McMillan stock and VX-III 6x20x50mm). He outshot his Dad and his 7MM STW full custom (Nesika Bay action, Hart barrel, McMillan stock, and the same VX-III scope). The son was really puffed up on the way home telling his dad that that is what young eyes could do. Thanks for the help.