The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 9, 2014, 09:41 PM   #1
Cossack

Backyard Ballistics - 3 inexpensive .30 Carbine JSP Rounds

After balking at the price (and rarity) of the tried and true .30 carbine defensive rounds, such as the Winchester soft hollow points, I've been looking for options that I can reasonably buy more than one box of to keep around. The most common is the Prvi Partizan soft point, which rarely costs much more than the cheapest FMJ currently available (which isn't really cheap, either!).

Here's a video of a gel test that's promising: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTLpfO_IB60

I've since found two other imported JSP rounds, both 110 grain: IMI, imported by Interarms, which seems to be a newly imported product that I've found in a few stores in MT and WA, but without much info. The Box writing is all in Hebrew. It could be police surplus, but that's just my speculation.

The third round is made by Seller and Bellot and sold by Cabela's under the Herter's brand. It was the most expensive of the three, priced at about $32/box of 50 at Cabela's in Post Falls, ID.

To satisfy my own curiosity I set up a row of milk cartons and jugs filled with water in the backyard and took a few shots from 15 feet (GI Carbine) to see what would happen. Here are the results:

Shot 1: IMI JSP - Passed through three cartons, exited side, not recovered.

Shot 2: Herter's JSP - Passed through three 1/2 gal. cartons, exited side, recovered in grass near the third carton. Bullet retained jacket, expanded to .56x.5", weight 102.7gr

Shot 3: IMI JSP - passed through one 12 gal carton and one juice jug, part of jacket and whole bullet recovered in third jug. Piece of jacket on ground. Bullet expanded to .625x.56" - weight of bullet: 92.5gr, with two recovered jacket fragments:107.5gr.

Shot 4: PPU JSP - passed through two gallon jugs, jacket and bullet recovered in the third jug. Bullet expanded to .56x.5" - weight of bullet: 78 gr, bullet + jacket 97.4gr (portions of the jacket were not recovered).

I know I didn't prove anything scientific, but I think I'll rest easy with any of these three in the stock pocket for things that go bump in the night or for coyotes or other small animals.

I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that in gel or animal tissue, the bullets would expand more slowly/fragment less aggressively and probably penetrate deeper.

Feel free to offer advice for future tests or interpretation of what's gone on here. Thanks!

The test media, such as it is:

The three contenders:

The recovered bullets - L-R: S&B/Herters, IMI, PPU:
Old July 10, 2014, 01:42 PM   #2
RickB

Good info. I've handloaded some 110 JSPs, and keep a magfull near my Carbine.
Have you done any chrono? It seems that a lot of factory rounds are running over 1900fps, some even close to 2000, but using recommended loads I'm getting about 1870, and my gun hits high, relative to the rear sight setting, even at that velocity.
Old July 10, 2014, 10:32 PM   #3
Cossack

Sorry, I haven't gotten around to picking up a chrony yet. I would have loved it for this test.

Which bullets are you using, and where'd you pick them up? I'd like to reload some myself.
Old July 11, 2014, 06:27 AM   #4
amd6547

I would love to find some of that Israeli carbine ammo...
The PPU shoots great, in my experience.
Right now, my carbine mag is loaded with the new Hornady Critical Defense polymer tipped JHP. Expensive, but I won't be shooting a lot of it.
Old July 11, 2014, 11:26 AM   #5
RickB

Quote:
Which bullets are you using, and where'd you pick them up? I'd like to reload some myself.
In my mind's eye, I still see a partial box on the shelf, with Midway labeling. Checking their website, the bullets are out of stock, no backorders.