The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 20, 2002, 09:12 AM   #1
J.R. Bob Dobbs

Sig P220 Extractor tension?

My new p220 occasionally has a "weak" ejection, about every 25rds or so, where the empty comes back and hits me in the head, or goes straight up in the air. There have been no failures, with about 350rds of assorted ammo.

Carefully checking everything, I notice the extractor tension is very very light. There's barely any resistance to sliding a case under it. If I slide a loaded cartridge into place, it will remain thru a light shake, but will come out with a hard shake. It's MUCH looser than a 1911, or p95 that have similar (non coil-spring) extractors.

Anybody here have a 220 (folded slide) to check the tension?
Old July 20, 2002, 12:25 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

It should hold it snugly. May have to be removed from the gun and tweaked to give it more "bite" on the cartridge. Generally though, for service firearms, they're replaced and the old one trashed.
Old July 20, 2002, 12:49 PM   #3
J.R. Bob Dobbs

I suspect it needs to be a little tighter than it is.

I'm comfortable doing this on a 1911, but I don't know the 220 detail strip procedure. I presume that if I remove the roll pin(s), it will all come apart logically? I've had no luck searching the net for the procedure.
Old July 20, 2002, 02:28 PM   #4
Nukem

AGI has a good VHS tape on the SIG pistol series.
Old July 20, 2002, 02:39 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Get a 2x4 block of wood and drill a 1/2" hole in it. That's your bench block. Take a roll pin punch and punch out the two roll pins.

This allows the breechblock to fall out. Flip the breechblock upside down and you see the extractor claw. Use a flat end screwdriver and sticking it into the base (all the way in the back), tweak it such that the extractor comes out. Don't apply the screwdriver to the blade itself. We're talking about that block of a base for the extractor.

Place the extractor in a vise and place a straight rule against it. This is to give yourself a visual mental image. Tweak once with a soft mallet. Check w/rule. Reinstall into breechblock by pressing in the base first. Reassemble slide by placing breechblock into slide and pinning w/fresh roll pins.
Old July 20, 2002, 03:52 PM   #6
J.R. Bob Dobbs

Done! (except for the new pins) Thanks for the info; it turned out to be a very easy job. I made a pencil tracing of the extractor to guage my progress.

I bent it as little as I could, about .02" at the end. It now takes a little finger pressure to insert the round under the extractor, and it won't shake loose. Not as tight as my other guns, but noticeably tighter than it was.

Off to the range in the next day or two to test it out.