The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 22, 2001, 04:39 AM   #1
a-bolt

9mm bullet seated in a .38 case?
My sierra manual mentioned a cowboy action configuration which uses a 124gr 9mm (auto) LRN bullet seated in a .38 spcl case. Is that crazy or can the be done? I did not think you could mix auto bullets and revolver ones since they have slight differences.

What gives?

Old March 22, 2001, 05:12 AM   #2
johnnybravo

Some commercial brands of cast 9mm bullets are sized .357. These would work in the 38 spl casing.

FWIW, I cast my own bullets. I use the same bullet, sized .357 for both the 9mm and 38/357.

If you use an auto bullet in a revolver case, it won't have a crimp groove. You would then crimp it at the very front of the top driving band.
Old March 22, 2001, 09:31 AM   #3
dick w. holliday

i also cast my own and the only bullet i shoot in my 9mm/38super/38spec/357mag is a lee 125 gr tumble lubed bullet which is unsized. i shoot thiese bullets in 3gun/action pistol/cowboy. you'll notice i didn't mention any bullseye shooting- i guess if i did i'd spend more time on these bullets-but for what i call "Hose and go shooting" these rounds are the ticket for me....Good shooting...Dick
Old March 22, 2001, 02:15 PM   #4
tooltime

9mm bullets in .38's

For all of you Colt owners. Slug your bores. Especially in Detective Specials, Official Police, Police Positive Specials. You will find bores ranging from .354 - .356. A 160 grain .38 Super bullet sized to .355 works great and is more accurate than .357 dia bullets. Give it a try you will be suprised. Tooltime