The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 4, 2015, 08:51 PM   #1
Bandit2015

308 win questions

I have a savage axis in 308 win, I understand these guns have a 1,10 twist, for a bit i worked up some loads with 110 gr a max bullets, I was shooting 5 shot groups you could cover with a dime, I don't have time to hand load anymore and switched to a 150 gr factory loads and the gun hates them, it seems to hate everything heavier, which is backwards from what it should be, any ideas?? The only thing I have not tried is the 180 gr, they are very rare in my area, thanks
Old October 5, 2015, 06:15 AM   #2
overthere

Work up a load for 168gr or 175gr Sierra Match Kings, they work well in most barrels. If you want to try factory loads, get a box of 168gr or 175gr Federal Gold Medal Match and try those, they use the Sierras.

With a 10 twist you will be able to stabilize 200 grain bullets without issues.
Old October 6, 2015, 09:01 AM   #3
AllenJ

Try different brands of factory ammo until you find one that your rifle likes.
Old October 6, 2015, 01:24 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...switched to a 150 gr factory loads and the gun hates them..." It hates that particular factory load. Like AllenJ says, you have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price of it means nothing. 2" to 3" groups at 100 is accurate enough for most hunting. An Axis isn't a target rifle.
Think 165's for hunting deer plus sized game. A 165 will kill any game in North America out of a .308.
110 A-Max's are really .30 Carbine match bullets. Match Kings and Federal's GMM ammo aren't for hunting either. Not made for hunting anything but varmints.
Old October 6, 2015, 02:34 PM   #5
GeauxTide

Recoil could be an issue with a 40gr increase in bullet in a light rifle. Also, try 45gr of Varget under a 150 Hornady Interlock.
Old October 7, 2015, 06:41 PM   #6
firewrench044

Last hunting season I helped a friend break in a 308 Axis
His rifle loved the loads for my rifles, after he replaced the trigger and
installed a recoil pad ( original trigger was way to heavy for him, and
he was flinching badly without the pad )

Target-
175 SMK
CCI # BR2 primer
42.2 gr IMR 4064
seated to mag. length

Hunting-
150gr Hornady SST
CCI # BR 2 primmer
42.2gr IMR 4895
seated to Mag. length

my cases are Lapua his are Winchester

I know these are not factory loads but they work in his Axis
Old October 9, 2015, 07:31 PM   #7
308Loader

Quote:
Like AllenJ says, you have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best.
It's a tough job for sure, their are many variables and inconsistency's to consider with factory ammo. One of my rifles hates everything I can buy on the shelf. So I load.
Old October 10, 2015, 05:25 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

The OP already said he doesn't have time for reloading any longer. Unfortunately, the advice to try different factory loads is about all there is for it in that circumstance. To be sure, a heavier bullet causes larger recoil acting on the rifle's recoil moment that whips the barrel more. That can, indeed open things up.

I would take the advice to buy a box of Federal Gold Medal Match ammunition featuring the 168 grain Sierra MatchKing. This is an old standby loading that virtually all .308 rifles like so well that Dan Newberry calls it a "chocolate ice cream load" (based on the notion that almost nobody dislikes chocolate ice cream, and almost no .308 rifle dislikes this load if it is properly functioning). He theorizes and demonstrates it is possible to make loads that tend to do well in a wide variety of barrel lengths.

I am a little concerned the OP could have another issue that shows up with heavy recoil that is absent with lighter bullet loads. In particular, I would look for stock contact with the barrel or a need for bedding or for uneven bolt lug contact. These are factors that can cause a recoil increase to throw shots out, and they can be addressed by a gunsmith if you are willing to make the investment. The Federal GMM.308 168 load will reveal this. If the rifle won't shoot that load well, and assuming the OP does his part, then there is likely another issue afoot.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 11, 2015, 05:19 PM   #9
Bandit2015

Yes I know my axis is not a target rifle, I tried 4 different brands of 150 gr lead points, I cannot get a group that's under 4 inches at 100 yrds, just bought some Hornady 165 sst, hoping it likes those better, thanks for all the help,
Old October 12, 2015, 04:10 PM   #10
Jimro

Let us know if you find a brand that your rifle likes, some folks have reported that Federal Fusion is accurate for hunting ammo, might be a good place to try if you haven't already.

The worst groups I ever shot from my Savage 10 tactical was with blue box Federal 180 gr hunting ammo, almost a 7" group at 100, and backed out primers (likely a low pressure sign).

Jimro