The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 4, 2010, 03:39 AM   #1
FailureByDesign

Full size gun safe for an apartment?

Hello there,

Soon i will be moving from my 3rd floor apartment to a first floor apartment. I am sick up hiding my guns under my bed and need something substantial to park them in. I know a burglar can get into anything if they are determined but I think having my guns in a 700lbs safe is a bit better than under the bed in plain view

I want a full size safe, about the size of a Remington Silver, around 600-700lbs. I'm not to worried about fire protection rating, and I highly doubt i will be able to bolt anything to the ground. I want something heavy, but not to heavy. I need something that will hold at least 7-8 long guns and would like separate shelving for pistols and other stuff.

I have no problem buying a used safe, i dont want to spend more than 750.

I have been watching craigslist but haven't seen anything come up. (Phoenix area)

* also any advice as far as getting the safe into my apartment? I think I'm gonna have a friend help, use a dolly, do it at night and cover it up with a blanket. Obviously I dont want to bring it in during the day to let anyone see it, anyone done this before?

Any suggestions?

thankyou, paul
Old September 4, 2010, 03:58 AM   #2
FailureByDesign

just been lookin a bit, Looks like a Winchester Ranger 19, that looks to be about the size I want.
Old September 4, 2010, 09:35 AM   #3
wally626

Although bolting it to the wall or floor is out, you could bolt it to 2 x 10 boards that are wider than the door. The thieves would at least have to take some time to saw them, or break them off before taking the whole safe. May also help to spread the weight of the safe if the flooring is a little springy.
Old September 4, 2010, 12:36 PM   #4
The Expert

The thought of getting a full-size gun safe up to a 3rd floor apartment sets my teeth on edge.

You gotta carry that thing out a few years later when you move too.
Old September 4, 2010, 01:40 PM   #5
oneounceload

Quote:
I have no problem buying a used safe, i dont want to spend more than 750.
Try local locksmiths that sell safes - they may have nice used ones from trade-ins
Old September 4, 2010, 11:03 PM   #6
nogo

Will the upstairs floor suport weight of safe and contents?

You might consider two cheaper, smaller safes for ease of handling. One or both could be bolted to a wall stud in a closet. Repair of holes would be easy.
Old September 5, 2010, 06:51 PM   #7
FailureByDesign

Just to clarify, I am moving from a 3rd floor to a first floor, thus the reason why I am buying a safe