The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 9, 2007, 09:02 AM   #26
pangris

In Louisiana, we have a "shoot the carjacker" law that resulted from carjacking in New Orleans.

Carjacking got a lot less popular after a few people got shot in the process.

1. Lock doors

2. Tint windows

3. Have a gun that is accessible

4. Practice the scenario!!!

5. Avoid the areas this is likely to happen.

6. Always, always, always, leave enough room between you and the car in front of you to to manuever past them.

7. Be aware of who is standing around the intersection.
Old June 9, 2007, 08:23 PM   #27
als54

Quote:
State laws may vary but you are almost always allowed to use deadly force if

1. You cannot retreat or do so without putting yourself at greater risk.
Like you said laws vary in different states, but in Florida you are not required to retreat. Under the Castle Law your vehicle is an extension of your home. Drop them were they stand.
Taurus PT145 Millennium PRO
Old June 10, 2007, 08:00 PM   #28
DougO83

this works

I ordered the police style floorboard rack for my shotgun a while back. Seeing that Benelli locked and loaded at my side sure does alot to dissuade would-be thiefs. Of course, I have to go through the trouble of moving it every time I get in and out of the vehicle to avoid some jackass trying to steal my toy.

Matt 6:33
Old June 10, 2007, 08:24 PM   #29
ZeSpectre

DC had some real carjacking trouble a few years ago. Then the bad guy carjacked a U.S. Secret Service agent.

The funeral was well televised. It sort of reminded me of how hangings used to be extremely public and probably for the same reasons.
Old June 11, 2007, 06:32 AM   #30
nbk2000

Unless it's pouring rain, I keep the windows rolled down an inch or two, so I can better hear what's going on around me, driving or stopped. That's called 'situational awareness'. Keeping your soundproof windows rolled up is called 'deafness'.

Definitely keep all doors locked, and a cars length of space (your cars length) from the car in front of you, and your car in gear with your foot on the brake, not in neutral or park, even idling in the parking lot.

Park, when possible, so you can drive straight out, not having to back up first, even if you have to back into the space to do so.

Get an emergency release installed in your trunk so you can open it from inside. Might also be a good idea to have an 'Auto-Clearout' in there, with the tube going into the passenger compartment, so you can gas the 'jacker to get him to stop, before bailing out the trunk. Bailing out at speed on concrete is insane.

Oh, and a battery powered light, serrated blade knife, and handcuff key (gun too?), so you can free yourself if restrained, or at least have the chance to.

I've wondered about the possibility of driving into something if the enemy was forcing me to drive. As long as he isn't buckled in, that's a possibility if you can do it. If he's next to me, it'd seem better to turn hard-left to force his gun away from me and slide broadside (his side) into the object, rather than head-on, or roll it.
Old June 11, 2007, 06:41 AM   #31
HardcoreHehaw

In the state of Florida you are legally allowed to shoot someone who is attempting to break into or remove you from your occupied vehicle.
Old June 11, 2007, 08:00 AM   #32
Eghad

Keep the doors locked.....

Always leave enough room in front of you. As I recall from defensive driving you should be able to see the rear tires on the ground of the car ahead of you.

NRA Life Member
Old June 11, 2007, 10:17 AM   #33
DougO83

hm?

Quote:
Might also be a good idea to have an 'Auto-Clearout' in there, with the tube going into the passenger compartment, so you can gas the 'jacker to get him to stop, before bailing out the trunk
What is this "auto clear out?"

Matt 6:33
Old June 12, 2007, 05:46 AM   #34
xtracer78

car jacking question

I have heard a lot of replies to this question. This may not be for you. But what I find to be of help is to not drive a car that is often targeted for highjacking. If the vehicle's make and model is not the motive, rather just some guy trying to score a crime, then the former responses should be adequate. Money is almost always a motive for a crime. If there is no profit to be gained, a criminal will generally not target you. If he is just hell bent on hurting you, then all the afore mentioned responses apply. And gat a pistol permit, and keep a handgun at ready. No one can say for sure what will happen to you at any given time, but whatever you can do is better than doing nothing. Criminals prey on the weak and unimformed. Cops are not by law obligated to protect you. Their job is to make arrests when a crime has been commited. Personal safety is your responsibility.
Old June 12, 2007, 09:27 PM   #35
nbk2000

I mixed up the two names for Aerko's Clear-out grenades, and Auto-Ejector. My bad.

This is what I'm talking about.

http://www.aerko.com/AutoEjector.htm

Old October 23, 2009, 02:59 PM   #36
LousyanaMan

The vehicle is not a extension of the home.

This is a hearsay that became a urban legend.

A judge once told me;

"If a vehicle is a extension of the home, why is it that it has to have a separate insurance policy once it leaves the property?"

"There is a difference between obtaining a warrant to search a home, and a officer searching a vehicle under "Probable Cause", which does not require a warrant."

"The law and the enforcement of carrying a loaded forearm in a vehicle differs from state to state, as it is a concern for public safety."

He went on jokingly;

"Why do you need a official documentation, such as DL, registration, proof of insurance always at hand in the vehicle and not so in your home?"

"Why is it legal to have sex, drink, and be naked in your home and not in your vehicle?"
Old October 23, 2009, 03:38 PM   #37
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I love florida and one reason is the vehicle IS an extension of my home
Try to force me around when I am in my vehicle and you just bet you life on a losing game!
Brent
Old October 23, 2009, 05:44 PM   #38
LousyanaMan

Nope. Not per the LAW.
Old October 23, 2009, 06:22 PM   #39
Don H

LousyanaMan,

Specifically, which law? Please cite the law. Does that law pertain to ALL states?
Old October 23, 2009, 08:05 PM   #40
Only S&W and Me

Last week my wife was pulling out of our sub late at night and she said she stopped at the exit and all of a sudden a face appeared in the truck driver window...she instinctively just nailed the gas and didn't look back....scary as hell!
Old October 23, 2009, 08:19 PM   #41
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
A judge once told me;
even they don't know all the laws thus they have a set of current law books in the courthouse...
Quote:
"If a vehicle is a extension of the home, why is it that it has to have a separate insurance policy once it leaves the property?"
You are not required to have home owners insurance because your home cannot hurl itself into the property of others...
Quote:
"There is a difference between obtaining a warrant to search a home, and a officer searching a vehicle under "Probable Cause", which does not require a warrant."
Bald faced lie... Exactly the same... With PC an officer can forcibly enter the home and search it. The PC must be the eyewitness of illicit activity inside. If you open the door and he sees white powder cut into lines with a razor blade and straw on the end table... he can and will enter.

In the state of florida we can have a loaded firearm in the vehicle and we can use it if someone attempts a forced violent entry of my ride while I am in it... Why do think the car jackings here died off so fast?
Brent
Old October 23, 2009, 08:41 PM   #42
LousyanaMan

I havent found, through my research any law written with the exact wording as "the vehicle is a extension of the home".
Old October 23, 2009, 08:51 PM   #43
jgcoastie

Great thoughts, but how many of us have wives and/or children?
Most of us.

Okay, now how many of your responses assume that you are alone and have only yourself to look out for?
All of them.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old October 23, 2009, 11:10 PM   #44
CARGUY2244

carjack

Locked doors, situational awareness, proactive driving tactics, and a loaded glock in your hand at every red light ought to minimize carjacking risks.

As far as your car being an extension of your home, Lousyman, you are very wrong. FOUR (4) states, plus Washington D.C., stipulate a duty to retreat from threat. FORTY SIX (46) states recognize the castle doctrine, which absolutely DOES consider any method of transportation to be your castle, which if breached by force, my be repelled by force, up to and including deadly force, the yardstick being the reasonable man doctrine (taht is, what how would a reasonable man react in that situation). Courts, prosecutors, and grand juries vehemently support the testimony of the intended victim in these matters, and unless there are severe prior bad acts, or clear evidence indicating excessive force, the castle doctrine always results in a walk for the shooter (intended victim).
Lousyman, do your homework before you spout.
Old October 24, 2009, 05:43 AM   #45
grey sky

tough target

Used to be a TV show "Tough target" focused on crime prevention tips the recomendation for assailant in your car was drive directly into the nearest object car, poll, mail box. Never never go to second location. I do think this was before airbags.
Are air bags trigered by a blastingcap??

Last edited by grey sky; October 24, 2009 at 05:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old October 24, 2009, 11:49 AM   #46
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by LousyanaMan
I havent found, through my research any law written with the exact wording as "the vehicle is a extension of the home".
You won't find, in your extensive legal research, any laws that say it's not "legal to have sex, drink and be naked...in your vehicle", to quote your earlier post. Folks who have recreational vehicles often, legally, do these things in their vehicles. Matter of fact, it can be illegal to have sex or be naked in your house. Do those things in front of a window or open door so that people walking by on the sidewalk see you and see how long it'll be before you're on the way to jail.

Did you find anything in the law to support your assertion "The vehicle is not a extension of the home"?
Old October 25, 2009, 06:36 PM   #47
BuckHammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LousyanaMan

Is this information relevant in any way?
Old October 25, 2009, 06:54 PM   #48
Dwight55

Sometimes the memory can be fuzzy, . . . but right now it is telling me that the carjacker that really got bummed was the one in Pittsburgh, . . . maybe 2 years ago.

Carjacked some young guy, . . . wanted him to drive to another location, . . . forgot to do the seat belt trick. Young guy headed down the road, . . . when he saw the dumpster, . . . floored the car and did a T-bone into the side of the dumpster.

Scratch one carjacker.

I still chuckle when I remember it. I also filed it for future reference should the need ever arise. I practice situational awareness, . . . try to stop well behind the traffic ahead of me, . . . keep doors locked, . . . etc., . . . but it never hurts to have some kind of plan in mind just in case.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old October 26, 2009, 02:51 AM   #49
Glenn Dee

Often I must go out on service calls in the dead of night, and to places I wouldnt normally go in the day time. Being carjacked is something I always look out for. In addition to carrying a high cap pistol I try to practice somewhat tactical vehical operation. I must thank all of you for your contributions in this thread. I've gotten some great ideas and will put them into practice post haste.

Thanks
Glenn Dee
Old October 26, 2009, 10:08 AM   #50
brickeyee

Quote:
You are searching on to narrow a term.

You need to look in the laws on castle domain and see if 'automobile' appears in them, and then actually read the law.

This is going to be a state by state thing, and the case law is likely to cover a lot of things the statute law initially was not clear about.