The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 18, 2010, 09:58 AM   #1
Raider2000

To Answer Sundance44s' question.

I have heat treated quite a few small parts through out the years but have never tried to heat treat the cylinder pin on a Remington copy because to be honest it never really dawned on me to try & see if that would fix the gas cutting effect that the Remingtons seem to go through.

I have conciddered but never done a fix that would be more effective though.
Use a piece of bronze or Stainless Steel bushing the inside diameter the same as the pin, drill & press the bushing into the cylinder & machine the area just under the barrel to accept the modified cylinder.
In effect it'd be the same as the Ruger O.A.'s & possibly would be a more permenent fix for this condition.
Old January 18, 2010, 10:43 AM   #2
sundance44s

Raider I`ve thought about the bushing fix for the problem ...it is a fix that would work .
But here lately , I`ve been thinking maybe the problem if more from soft steel than the need of a bushing .
In any case it would be easyer to try hardening the pin and testing it for gas cutting ...than to modify the design adding a bushing .
If I were set up to harden one ...which I am not at the time ...maybe someone who is will chime in here and give it a try .
or hardening the pin may have already been tried .

For anyone that didn`t see the other post ..
we are talking about the gas cutting problem on the 1858 Remington cylinder pin .
Myself and Raider both have addressed the problem by replaceing the cylinder pin after 1500 - 2000 rounds fire .
I had a cylinder pin cut completely in half on my first 1858 Remington from this gas cutting ......I have no idea how many rounds I fired from the gun before this happened .....but it happened within 3 years of heavy use .
Old January 18, 2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Raider2000

I have the gear here to case harden the pin & I may give it a try "have a few extras laying around" & place it in my Lil cannon where I normally run 28gr. FFFG Goex & a 220gr. conical through which is a pretty stought load.
Old January 18, 2010, 12:26 PM   #4
sundance44s

If anyone has never noticed this gas cutting ..you`ll need to remove the pin from the frame to inspect it ...when the pin is slid forward to remove the cylinder the gas cutting is hidden .
Here is my newest Remington cylinder pin ..it has less than 500 rounds fired from it .