The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 7, 2013, 09:32 AM   #1
Mastrogiacomo

Where do you buy your mags?

I've got a Sig 228 that I'd like to buy mags for, and being from MA, just the standard 10 round only. Does anyone have any sites that they particularly recommend for price? Thank you.

Laura
Old July 7, 2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Theohazard

The 10 round mags aren't standard; those have a special floor plate that restricts capacity. The standard-capacity mags are 13 and 15 rounds.

Under normal circumstances the limited-capacity mags have relatively low demand and are easier to find than the standard-capacity mags. But now with more states limiting magazine capacity, those 10 round mags are hard to get also.

A quick check of major sites like Brownells and Midway USA shows they're out of both standard- and limited-capacity SIG mags but they have aftermarket ones in stock. You can find factory SIG mags at sites like eBay and Gunbroker but they're going to be more expensive.

For just range and practice the aftermarket mags will do just fine. But for self-defense I'd use the factory mags. If you don't want to pay a premium from eBay or Gunbroker, you might just want to find a site that will let you back-order them (I think Brownells will). Or you might just get lucky and find someone who has them in stock.
Old July 7, 2013, 11:35 AM   #3
atlantadad

Where do you buy your mags?

Check the online gun forums. Places like the Sigforum have for sale listings. Heck - I have a P229 40/357 ten rounder factory mag I listed mid last year on another forum that is still here. Maybe time to realist it.
Old July 7, 2013, 11:32 PM   #4
BarryLee

Looks like Top Gun Supply may have them. Also, check with SIG and see if they might have them in stock.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 8, 2013, 05:19 AM   #5
oldandslow

laura, 7/8/13

You picked a nice pistol with the 228. There are a number of 10 round mags offered at www.gunbroker.com. Click on the "browse category" part and then click on the "pistol magazines and clip" section. Then type in Sig 228 and you will see a bunch of people selling Sig 228 mags. They are selling 10 round Mecgar mags which are excellent quality and are often used as original mags for some manufacturers. The new nickel ones are going for $23 each plus shipping (I like the nickel over the blued steel due to less corrosion issues). Order up four of five and you're good to go. Top Gun Supply, recommended by another poster, also has good deals and are great people to work with. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old July 10, 2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Unknownsld

You can try here.

http://www.soldierarmsandsurplus.com...?categoryId=-1