The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 18, 2013, 11:57 AM   #501
Rifleman1776

Don't blame Walmart. They are still selling what ammo they can get for normal, or under, retail prices. The guys who line up at 5 a.m. and buy out the entire inventory are the ones to blame.
Locally, WM is still selling bulk boxes for about $17.00. Somebody is buying them up and reselling through classified ads for $75.00. He used to charge $50.00, then $65.00 and now $75.00. He is selling them or he wouldn't keep it up and keep raising prices.
Old August 18, 2013, 12:35 PM   #502
ripnbst

Bricks Of .22LR Ammo

WM .22LR is the unicorn of the ammo industry.
Old August 18, 2013, 01:26 PM   #503
chrisr6

I got a bucket of 1400 at a gun show yesterday for $140. Other than that I can rarely find it in stores and when I do it is $10 for a box of 50.
Old August 18, 2013, 01:53 PM   #504
pelo801

That 1400 rds should have been about half that.
Old August 18, 2013, 05:20 PM   #505
BigD_in_FL

The days of $7.99 bricks are gone and never coming back. $.05/round - which is $25/brick - is most likely the new price - so IF you can find them for close to that, and you need some, you better grab them before someone else does
Old August 18, 2013, 05:44 PM   #506
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The days of $7.99 bricks are gone and never coming back. $.05/round - which is $25/brick - is most likely the new price - so IF you can find them for close to that, and you need some, you better grab them before someone else does
I do my "grabbing" when the grabbing is good. Buying in bulk requires a larger one-time investment, but it saves a lot over bit-and-piece purchases during the same period of time the bulk purchase will cover.

My last real .22 LR purchase was in 2011. Even then, people were "happy" to be paying $20 / brick or $17 / bulk pack, but I picked up semi-premium ammo for about $130 / case.

Those cases of semi-premium and bricks of premium .22 LR stacked up in the gun room sure do look pretty, when I see them after reading about everyone that failed to plan ahead and hasn't been able to get any for the last 8+ months.

I feel bad for people that are just getting into firearms, and can't get ammo. But, I have no sympathy for experienced gun owners that don't keep a reasonable supply of ammunition on hand.
...It's like living in Florida, during hurricane season, and never filling your car's fuel tank above 1/4 tank You're just asking to be caught without the most precious commodity required to operate the vehicle/firearm.
Old August 18, 2013, 06:43 PM   #507
mr.t7024

Bricks Of .22LR Ammo

I was at WM the other day and I was able to buy three boxes of Federal Auto Match 325 rounds each.Three boxes cost me about 54.00 plus tax. I hope I did not pay too much! This situation is really hacks me off and then some! Cliff

Last edited by Spats McGee; August 18, 2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: language
Old August 18, 2013, 07:05 PM   #508
dajowi

Our LGS is or was selling them for $100. I dd see boxes of bulk Remington Golden Bullets going for $75 per at the last gun show...and they weren't selling.
Old August 18, 2013, 08:29 PM   #509
BigD_in_FL

Franken - last time I bought 22 ammo, it was $95 for a case and that case was 6250 rounds, so I am still shooting that stuff up
Old August 18, 2013, 09:20 PM   #510
Contrast Man

Primers in IL

I was at the Bass Pro in Bolingbrook, IL today and they had quite a stock of primers in. Just a heads up to those in the area looking for some primers!
Old August 19, 2013, 09:52 PM   #511
Colorado Redneck

A lady we know was telling us the other day about her son. He works at a large sporting goods chain store. When shipments of ammo or reloading components come in, an employee of the store buys the entire lot. Be a good bet that dude is selling the stuff online or at gun shows for an outrageous profit. Since this is "hearsay" it ain't ethical in my opinion to name the retail chain.

Last edited by Spats McGee; August 20, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old August 20, 2013, 12:13 PM   #512
spacecoast

Quote:
I was at WM the other day and I was able to buy three boxes of Federal Auto Match 325 rounds each.Three boxes cost me about 54.00 plus tax. I hope I did not pay too much! This situation is really hacks me off and then some! Cliff
That's a pretty good price... they go for $18.97 at our WM and you can only buy one box... and 30 boxes disappeared in just part of a day.
Old August 20, 2013, 01:09 PM   #513
Spats McGee
Staff

Spotted at Walmart in LR, AR: TulAmmo BrassMaxx, 9mm, 115 grain FMJ, 100-rd bulk pack, $22.97 + tax
Old August 20, 2013, 02:35 PM   #514
Levant

Quote:
Don't blame Walmart. They are still selling what ammo they can get for normal, or under, retail prices. The guys who line up at 5 a.m. and buy out the entire inventory are the ones to blame.
I don't like those guys but I don't blame them. If you don't have ammunition you need it is because you didn't buy it the day before Sandy Hook, or the week, month, or year before Sandy Hook.

Normally, if ammunition trickled into the store at the same rate it is coming in now they would have to build a larger store just to hold the accumulation. Normally, that ammunition just sits on the shelf so they wouldn't want it at even the rate they get it now, over time.

Quote:
Walmart hasn't raised their prices on ammo at all. Bulk packs are still in the $20-$25 range depending on which brand. My local stores get 2 shipments a week that include about a case each of all the popular calibers. .22lr is sold out within a few hours, and 9mm/.223 by the end of the day. .40/.45 stick around for at least a few days.
Boy, I sure haven't seen that where I am. One store holds some 5.56 for a few days before running out but I've only seen anything on the shelf other than a couple of times when I just happened to walk by as the delivery came in. One of those times I only managed to get anything ahead of the long line waiting because I was in the middle of a gun purchase and had the undivided attention of the clerk and store manager.

One thing I haven't seen at all has been any .22LR. I remember in the 2009 panic I couldn't find a box of .380 for my wife's gun for the life of me - or her. Even when the panic ended and before Sandy Hook I rarely saw .380 on the shelves.

Through it all, though, I have managed to find enough for a few trips to the range so I'm not in a panic.
Old August 23, 2013, 06:13 PM   #515
TommyP

Bought two 100 rd boxes of CCI Mini Mag .22LR at my local Academy yesterday for $7.49 each. They had about 100 boxes at the customer service counter.

They now only have limits on .22LR and 9mm ammo (2 boxes per customer). They had plenty of all the ammo that's been hard to find....even had an abundance of primers. Had about 30 boxes of .22 mag on the shelf, and that's the first time that I've seen some in store all year.....I didn't need it so I didn't buy any, even though the urge was there!
Old August 23, 2013, 08:52 PM   #516
gaseousclay

The "Where is everything?" thread -- guns, ammo, primers, powder, etc.

Finally found some 22lr at one of the LGS's I visit. Went to pick up my son but stopped in at the LGS to try my luck. As I was browsing the ammo section one of the employees asked me if I needed any help and I said I was just looking for 22LR ammo. He told me they had some Winchester hollow points and some CCI target ammo. I picked up two 100 packs of the CCI ammo for $9.99 each. He told me they got a delivery of some 20 100 packs today and they only had the few left when I came in. Guess I lucked out for a change cuz the other stores have been bone dry
Old August 23, 2013, 10:36 PM   #517
dakota.potts

Bought 500 CCI .22 rounds for $49.90 today. Gander limits buying to 10 boxes per customer, and they didn't have anything bigger than 50 round boxes.

The guy at checkout told me their prices had never gone up, but I don't believe him.
Old August 24, 2013, 11:02 AM   #518
StukaJU87

Gouger Mountain is notorius for having higher prices then anyone else, so there might be some truth in his statement.

But $50/500rds Man I miss the days of $14/525rds. Guess I'll keep witing for prices to return to normal.
Old August 24, 2013, 12:30 PM   #519
afone1

The online ammo sites are ripoffs. Paying 16 plus dollars for shipping kills the deal. It jacks the price up way to high for the purchase.
Old August 31, 2013, 07:47 PM   #520
Glenn E. Meyer

Went to the gun show in San Antonio - the big one at the Freeman.

1. Plenty of guns. Prices have come down to a touch more before the panic.
2. Fair amount of ammo but you can do better on line if you watch. I think some of the tables are stocked by the early morning big box zombie patrol.
3. Lots of magazines of all types. Panic prices are gone. For example, awhile ago some guys had Glock 19 mags for $69. Now - 26 bucks.

If you panic bought to make a killing, unless you flipped immediately - you got suckered.

As far as the guns:

1.Lots of Heizer Double Taps - I don't understand the gun. For it's size you could have a Sig 938 which is more practical.
2. Saw the Glock 30S - seems a touch silly to me. I don't see why the narrower slide is so great.
3. The Nanos, Shields, LC9s - Hmmm? I don't see what they give me above my Glock 26. The 938 seems a cool really smaller 9mm.
4. Lots of AR pattern 22 LRs. I guess I don't get them either except as trainers. My 10/22 is so much handier.
Old September 1, 2013, 06:39 AM   #521
kozak6

I stopped by my local Walmart.

They had a big pile of WWB .380. Second pile of pistol ammo I've seen in what seems like forever.
Old September 1, 2013, 11:17 AM   #522
Glenn E. Meyer

Went to Bass Pro for some other stuff but found 100 round boxes of Winchester Super X 22 LR for $9 and change. I bought one. Lots of 45 , 38 and 40. Some zombie 9.
Old September 1, 2013, 12:44 PM   #523
StukaJU87

Went to a gun show yesterday, what a disappointment. It was half the size it was the last time I went. Hardly any firearms for sale, mostly shotguns and pistols. Prices were higher than usual, even for panic prices. There were only a couple ammo tables. While ammo prices appear to be comming down, their prices were still 2-5x what they should be. Reloads were priced at pre-panic factory loads and $60/500 22lr, NO THANKS!

Side note: while the box stores seem to be empty, LGS around me seem to have no shortage of ammo. Their prices are so high, it seems they can't sell it. People ask if they have a certain caliber and then just walk out once they hear the price. I have to fight the urge to yell "Good for you" when I see people use their brain, instead of their wallet when shopping for ammo.

I've also noticed that some LGS are charging about the same as online sites, however, the sites say they are "out of stock", yet the shops are well stocked. Makes me wonder if the sites are just trying to keep the price up or are there that many stupid people out there over paying for ammo and they're the reason the prices haven't come down yet.

My money is on the latter, since its not good business practice to not sell your product. So someone has them thinking they can sell for more, otherwise they would lower their prices.
Old September 3, 2013, 02:28 PM   #524
MountainMike

.40 S&W available

I bought two 500 bullet boxes of .40 S&W from Midway USA (Larry Potterfield's store) last Wed. and paid $64.99 per box - maybe a little higher than usual. The total cost was around $148.00 delivered to Calif. in two days on Saturday.

Somebody earlier stated a fear in buying online, but I have had NO problems as long as I stick with the reputable establishments that have a brick & mortar store and a reputation to preserve!

I have been buying ammo and reloading components online for about nine years without any problem, except the haz mat charges! I always try to order primers and powders together to lessen the impact that haz mat has on my costs.
Old September 5, 2013, 05:14 AM   #525
spacecoast

I saw a box of Remington or Winchester .44 magnum ammo yesterday at Walmart... for $41.
Closed Thread