The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 15, 2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Mrgunsngear

Sig Sauer Mosquito 22LR Pistol Review

22LR pistols and rifles are becoming more and more popular these days due to rising ammo cost and an increased interest in general preparedness. Sig's 22LR pistol offering is the Mosquito and here's what I've found with it so far...

Pros:
-Bottom line up front---cheap to shoot. Who doesn't like that?
-Accurate. The fixed barrel design lends itself to good accuracy.
-Ergonomics. It's a 90% scaled down P226 and many new shooters I've lent it out to like the smaller grip circumference.
-Many different finishes available
-3 dot adjustable sights
-MIL/LE pricing is available
-With the exception of the slide mounted safety the controls mimic it's bigger brothers in the Sig line up making weapons manipulation drills applicable to the guns many would use in a real world environment.

Cons:
-More complex to break down and maintain than some competitors (not bad by any means but I can see how some new shooters would be intimidated by it).
-10 round magazines standard
-Magazine cost
-Like many 22LR pistols, it seems to be somewhat picky about ammo.
-Magazine cost

Here's a video with some day & night shooting, disassembly/assembly of the pistol, and discussion of the pros/cons of the pistol.

SIG Mosquito HD Video Review Link
Old March 15, 2013, 04:34 PM   #2
velillen

Re: Sig Sauer Mosquito 22LR Pistol Review

Nice review. I have one and agree with pretty much everything you said. Ammo wise hasn't been bad at all
Old March 31, 2013, 07:57 PM   #3
LegRanger

mounting slots

Are the mounting slots under the barrel considered "picatinny"? I just put a downpayment on one so wont have it for a couple months. Was wondering if there are lots of options for lasers.
Old April 1, 2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Constrictor

this pistol is the only gun ive ever owned less than 3 hours. I couild not trade it off fast enough.
Old April 1, 2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Are the mounting slots under the barrel considered "picatinny"? I just put a downpayment on one so wont have it for a couple months. Was wondering if there are lots of options for lasers.
They're the standard Sig rails; so the technical answer is "no." That said, the vast majority of attachments for 1913 rails will fit just fine as the video shows.