The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 5, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Camocrimsontide

Just got my first rifle

After doing a lot of research on rifles and scopes I've just purchased my first rifle. I decided to go with a Ruger American in a 308 win and I went with a Nikon prostaff nikoplex scope 3-9 x 50. I'm going to take it to a local gunsmith to have it mounted. I would rather purchase the mounting rings myself because I know the gun shop has the expensive type. So my question to you all is with my scope being 50 and larger on the end should I get regular 1 inch rings or higher rings to lift the scope off the gun? Keep in mind I'm a smaller female and I don't want to have to strain to shoot with my cheek not able to rest on the stock.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:01 PM   #2
gundog5

from my experence, you are going to have some issues. First, with the 50mm you are going to need at least medium hight rings as the scope MUST clear the barrel and the second is your head will not get a good solid press aginst the stock. My wife and adult daughter have this same issue. My first recommendation would be to take the scope back and get a 40mm scope as they will mount with standard rings. You will most likely also need a slide on cheek rest in order to get a good cheek rest and align your eye to the scope.
Old March 5, 2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Camocrimsontide

I've got the cheek rest from Ruger and its pretty comfortable. I hate to take the scope back but it may be for the best. Thanks for the info.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't bother paying a gunsmith to install the scope. Get yourself a set of Burris Signature rings, there's no sense in paying hundreds of dollars for a rifle and scope and then saving $20 on a set of rings. If you have a bit-driver with appropriate bits and enough aptitude to change a light bulb, you can install a scope.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Camocrimsontide

I didn't think it would be hard to mount it. Thanks
Old March 5, 2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Captains1911

Don't confuse ring size (diameter) with height. Regardless of which height (low, medium, high) rings you need, they should be 1-inch diameter to match the diameter of the scope tube.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:13 PM   #7
SSA

If you want to keep the scope you have, keep it.
A DNZ gamereaper mount might be a good way to go with that combination. Not the cheapest, but cheaper than a gunsmith. 1" and medium height.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:14 PM   #8
sunaj

Congrats on your first rifle
sunaj
Old March 5, 2013, 09:30 PM   #9
gundog5

Wasn't trying to discourage you. Sounds like you really like that scope. Might want to try attaching the lower half of your rings onto the rifle and carfully set the scope in. Put your cheek rest on first and get in a comfortable shooting position and see if you can see through the scope without lifting your head off the cheek rest. That will #1 not scratch the scope and #2 give you an idea as to if the scope is two high or not. And don't let anyone tell you that a 308 doesn't kick much because while it certainly does not have magnum recoil, it will thump you. So you want a good solid position.
Old March 6, 2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Mauser8mm

The Closer, The Better

Get the lowest rings possible as long as it is not hitting your barrel it is fine. Also Ruger does make a cheekrest with a pouch for ammo. Very nice product.

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Old March 7, 2013, 09:58 PM   #11
Camocrimsontide

Thanks for all the info. I've ordered Burris signature 1" medium rings. I'll do as suggested and put the bottom half on the rifle to see how it sits. If it doesn't work out I can send the rings and scope back and get what I need. I definitely want to be comfortable with it. I've just gotten so anxious to shoot it. Lol