The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 21, 2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Homerboy

Springfield Gi 1911 Champion?

For my upcoming birthday, I might finally get a 1911. I do not shoot that often, and this new gun would probably see less than 500 rounds a year (if that). I just want a 1911. I see they have a GI Champion that goes for around $500. I like the Springfierld lifetime warranty, so I'm kind of set of them. S&W makes a nice 1911, too, but it's closer to $900.
Old November 21, 2010, 02:47 PM   #2
bigghoss

any specific features you like? the GI sights are pretty dinky. you could jump up to the full size mil-spec for just a bit more and get good three-dot sights. rock island arsenal makes a good 1911 for the ~$500 price range and you can even get the tactical model with skeleton hammer and beaver tail grip safety.

if you really like the GI champion then it will serve you well but I know that buying impulsively without doing my homework has bitten me in the back side almost every time. SA makes a great product and it's my 1911 of choice but if you buy it and then decide you don't like something about it it can cost a fair bit of cash to change it latter rather than taking a breath and figuring out what you really want and getting it the first go-round.
Old November 21, 2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Homerboy

So the Champion is a bit smaller than the full size? What would I expcet to pay for a Mil Spec SA 1911? I kind of like the stainless GI version.
Old November 21, 2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Baba Louie

Quote:
...the GI sights are pretty dinky. you could jump up to the full size mil-spec for just a bit more and get good three-dot sights.
Sage advice. The 5 inch is more traditional size-wise. If your eyes are younger than mine the GI sights might serve you well-ish.

If I take my ever loving sweet time using the small sights, it is a pretty fine handgun (both 5" and 4" Champion) in the accuracy dept. But if I had to do it all over again... I can say that older eyes need better sights. I don't need the dots (in fact prefer all black) but my eyes nowadays do appreciate some daylight gap between the sides of the front sight and rear trough. YMMV

I've also noticed my two GIs are a lot tighter than any of the Colts I own, BHP as well.

You could do a lot worse than picking up a GI in either size. I can't say I'm a big fan of the 2 piece FLGR found in the Champion, preferring the older JMB setup as found in the 5", but that's just one of my quirks.

Someday I would like to pick up a GI micro to round out the set... I think.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old November 21, 2010, 03:49 PM   #5
bigghoss

the champion has a shorter 4" barrel with a slide to match. colt called this the commander and that has more or less become the generic term for that size. the original is a 5" barrel which colt called the governemnt model and again has become a generic term.

budsgunshop.com is out of stock but their last listed price for the stainless mil-spec was $650 the 5" GI was $600. so for $50 more you get much better sights.

the other thing to watch out for is the spur hammer. lots of people like them, others like myself find that the spur hammer digs into their hand during recoil and some even get pinched by it. that's where the skeleton hammer and beavertail grip safety come in. or you can round off the back of the spur hammer so it doesn't cause discomfort.

if you know anyone that owns a 1911 or can get to a range that has them for rent then shooting before you buy is the best way to go. there are so many options it will make your head spin so first figure out exactly what you are going to use the gun for. only a range toy or will it also serve a defensive pistol, or maybe competitions? then a price range.
Old November 21, 2010, 04:03 PM   #6
zombieslayer

If not a carry gun, go with a 5". Also, check all the used deals at the gunshops, I found a nice essex framed colt for $550 locally.
Old November 21, 2010, 06:17 PM   #7
ranburr

The Champions are fantastic guns out of the box and top notch to build on.
Old November 21, 2010, 06:53 PM   #8
AK103K

The Champion really isnt a "Commander", and can have its troubles because of it. The Commander has a 4 1/4" barrel, and uses a bushing, spring, and plug like the Government Model.

The Champion on the other hand, has a tapered barrel and a different spring set up, which makes it more difficult to disassemble (requires a small and easily lost and not readily improvised, plastic "tool") and over time, less reliable, or at least mine was.

If I were you, I'd stick to the Government or Commander models, and the closer to Colt or GI specs, the better off you'll be. Personally, I'd go with Colt, simply because mine always worked reliably, where most of the other brands I've owned had some sort of issues, and didnt.
Old November 21, 2010, 07:16 PM   #9
RetiredMajor

I bought a used Springfield GI Champion last year and it's a great shooter. The previous owner replaced the smaller "GI" sites with the 3 dot sites which are a lot nicer, in my humble opinion. I've never had a feed or function problem with the 4 inch barrel and never used the little "takedown" tool that came with it. It's completely unnecessary. The gun breaks down very easily without it. The gun is very tight and the fit and finish is very good. I'm completely satisfied.

The term "Commander" is a generic term and fits the GI Champion perfectly since it is shorter than the "Government" size (another generic term). 1911's with barrels in the 3 inch range are frequently referred to as "Officer" size.

Best of luck with your hunt!
Major
Old November 21, 2010, 08:26 PM   #10
bigghoss

the SA champion isn't really a commander because it's not a Colt, but like I said and has been reiterated the term has pretty much become a generic label for 1911's on that size. same for government and officer. names that Colt used for their guns and have become commonplace descriptions for a particular size.
Old November 21, 2010, 09:23 PM   #11
crazy charlie

FWIW I'm picking up this Remington 1911R1. It was a little over my budget, but the quality and workmanship appear to be outstanding for the price.

Last edited by crazy charlie; December 19, 2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old November 21, 2010, 10:01 PM   #12
scottl

The dual spring set up is supposed to last 2x or 3x longer than regular recoil spring set-up.

The clip makes life easy taking apart.But as already said it can be done without.If you lose it cut off a Bic pen till SA can send you couple clips.
Old November 21, 2010, 11:10 PM   #13
cornbush

I've had a Champion for a couple of years now...... nothing but good, no problems of any kind.
The sights are a little small but I knew that when I bought it.
It still shoots POA out to about 30 yds no matter if its 700fps or 1000.
The only semi-complaint I have I guess is the brass likes to bounce off my forehead sometimes...., could probably be fixed with a little tinkering and a file, but I'm lazy
Old November 22, 2010, 08:35 AM   #14
AK103K

Quote:
The dual spring set up is supposed to last 2x or 3x longer than regular recoil spring set-up.
I personally think its just the opposite. I think this is the reason mine started acting up after a year or so. A new one seemed to help when it was changed, but I was done at that point.

I have a couple of Commanders that are over 20 years old (one saw daily use for over 10 years and was shot weekly), and have never had the springs replaced, have been shot more each year than the Champion was, and still run fine. A properly designed and built gun does not need its springs constantly replaced. My Kimber Ultra Carry was another gun that had similar spring issues. Its springs required constant changes, and was still never reliable. Its only plus was, its take down was easier and only required a paper clip to do so.

Now I will admit, its been about 6 or 7 years now since I got rid of my last one, and perhaps they have got things better straightened out, although I still hear a fair number of complaints. I personally would not buy another, unless I could shoot it first, regardless who makes it. Springfield is still on my scheiße list too, after the fiasco I went though with the last 6 I bought, and I probably wont go there again either, rifle or pistol. They may have great customer service, but that isnt really comforting to me, and I'd prefer they worked on their QC department and I didnt have need of customer service.
Old November 22, 2010, 02:44 PM   #15
ranburr

AK103K,
I have had just the opposite luck from you. I either carry a Champion that I had bobtailed or a Compact model (4" barrel, Officer size frame) that I had modified to take the recoil spring assembly found in the Champions. Admittedly, my guns have been highly customized. But, they still use the factory recoil setup. I find the 4" Springers to work very well and felt recoil is less than a standard Commander.