The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 18, 2010, 08:15 PM   #1
wheelgunsarefun

38 and 44 vs 357

Hey everyone! I'm new to TFL and I need some revolver advice.

Some background: I'm a student, so price is always a HUGE factor in buying a new firearm. Unfortunately, this has meant that in order to buy a new gun, I've always had to trade in another. I've gone through a bunch of guns this way, and my current gun is a .38 snub that I bought because I was bored with my .22 revolver and wanted something a little more challenging to shoot and that could double CC if needed. I never considered hunting with a revolver until now.

I'm looking for "jack of all trades" revolver: mostly plinking (something FUN to shoot since I may only get to go once a week or so), occassional whitetail hunting (once/twice a year if I'm lucky, only Eastern whitetails at <35 yards), and VERY rarely HD (hopefully never) +/- CC (not a priority).

I'm trying to decide between keeping the .38 snub and buying a used SA .44 for hunting OR trading in the .38 and putting the money towards a newer 4" 357 (686, 586, Blackhawk top the list)

From what I've read, the 357 is the classic "do it all" choice because of the wide variety and availability of cartridges. But some serious hunters on the forum seem to be of the opinion that the 44 may just be a little bit more ethical (not to mention fun to shoot!).

If I bought the 357, I'd probably shoot mostly 38 specials at the range, and since the 44 seems to be an ideal hunting round, should I just buy a cheaper SA 44 or just go with a newer 4" 357 to take the place of the 38 and 44?

Thanks!
Old May 18, 2010, 09:36 PM   #2
KyJim

Keep in mind that unless you handload, .44 magnum ammo is more expensive than.357 mag ammo and .44 spl ammo is more expensive than .38 spl. So, if cost is a big factor, you may want to seriously consider the .357.
Old May 18, 2010, 09:45 PM   #3
ewayte

.44 Special is as scarce as hen's teeth lately.

Is .357 legal for handgun hunting where you live? Something to consider...
Old May 18, 2010, 10:12 PM   #4
drjjpdc

Wheel,
Since you have a snub (this could be your HD gun), I agree with your thought processes. A 4" Ruger Blackhawk convertible in .357 (takes care of hunting), gives you a longer .38 spl cylinder for practice and target stuff. As a matter of fact depending on your frame, I would even lean to a 6" bbl.
Old May 18, 2010, 11:47 PM   #5
wheelgunsarefun

Thanks for the advice...

I guess my question should have been more like: if the 38 is a good CC/HD cartridge and the 44 is a good hunting cartridge, what role does the .357 round have for the purposes I mentioned? It seems to have more recoil/muzzle flash than the .38 which may make follow up shots harder and it has less energy for hunting than a 44 mag. If I had to pick ONE revolver, then I'd go with the .357, but that's why this decision is so tough - it's between one gun that may handle all of my needs OK, versus two guns that handle them a little bit better .

And, yep, a .357 revolver is legal to hunt with where I live.
I asked around today, and 44 mag is not too hard to find here and is also not much more expensive than .357.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:34 AM   #6
wheelgunsarefun

Any more thoughts?
Old May 19, 2010, 10:42 AM   #7
aarondhgraham

Go with the .357 Mag,,,

it's just way more practical as a one-gun thing than a .44 Mag.

Shoot cheap .38's for fun,,,
Hunt with good .37 Mag rounds,,,
Either one for HD-SD per your choice.

People may argue fine points about one or the other,,,
But in general you will get more pleasure and practical use out of the .357.

JMHO - YMMV
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 19, 2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Preference for me is the 44 but I too have trouble finding 44 spcl. Last box I bought was over a year ago and there hasn't been any in my toy stores since. 357 is the way to go, you can find 38's fairly cheap and find them everywhere and the 357 will take most any game you want to shoot with a handgun as long as your skills are up to it.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 19, 2010, 01:12 PM   #9
FEG

Have you ever shot a .44 Magnum? Try before you buy. They're not unmanageable, but they recoil much harder than a .357 Magnum.

You mention that you are a student, so this may not be a problem. As I aged, I got to the point that I really didn't want a .44 anymore.
Old May 19, 2010, 01:23 PM   #10
Dr. A

357 is the right choice, but if you got a cheap reloading outfit, I know I would much prefer the 44. That can obviously come later, though. Both are getting very expensive to shoot when not being reloaded. Shooting a Super Blackhawk with a 5.5 inch barrel, I can keep myself preoccupied all afternoon or as long as I have ammo. I'll load up hot, heavy, soft and easy. Whatever I decide. The bulk I shoot is with cast going about 900fps. Much more enjoyable than full blown 44 mag. That gun, however is about as easy to conceal as my chainsaw.
Old May 19, 2010, 04:22 PM   #11
shafter

I'd say keep the snub and get a used Ruger Blackhawk or GP100 in 357 magnum.

OR

Get a Ruger in 45colt. Extremely versatile chambering. The catch is that you'll have to reload. Factory 45's are way too expensive.
Old May 19, 2010, 04:53 PM   #12
publius

I'd say keep the .38 and get a .44. I shoot .38 out of my .357's 95% of the time and only hunting do i see the .357 as markedly better than the .38. So in your current .38 you have a plinker and SD gun. Get the .44 for hunting and a sometimes plinker. If you get set up for reloading you can shoot .44spl. all day long for cheap.
Old May 19, 2010, 05:09 PM   #13
2damnold4this

If the choice is between having one gun (.357) and having two guns (.38 and .44 magnum), I'd go with having two guns.
Old May 19, 2010, 06:30 PM   #14
Elvishead

OP

Quote:
I'm looking for "jack of all trades" revolver: mostly plinking (something FUN to shoot since I may only get to go once a week or so), occassional whitetail hunting (once/twice a year if I'm lucky, only Eastern whitetails at <35 yards), and VERY rarely HD (hopefully never) +/- CC (not a priority).

I'm trying to decide between keeping the .38 snub and buying a used SA .44 for hunting OR trading in the .38 and putting the money towards a newer 4" 357 (686, 586, Blackhawk top the list)

From what I've read, the 357 is the classic "do it all" choice because of the wide variety and availability of cartridges. But some serious hunters on the forum seem to be of the opinion that the 44 may just be a little bit more ethical (not to mention fun to shoot!).

If I bought the 357, I'd probably shoot mostly 38 specials at the range, and since the 44 seems to be an ideal hunting round, should I just buy a cheaper SA 44 or just go with a newer 4" 357 to take the place of the 38 and 44?
Just think about it.
Old May 19, 2010, 06:32 PM   #15
johnwilliamson062

odd replies to this.

357 will work for hunting. Many use it. I have met a few who tried it and said never again though. I have carried a GP100 as my back up gun on white tail trips, but never needed it.

What about barrel length? In some state, Ohio included, a pistol needs a certain length barrel to use for hunting(6" in Ohio).
Old May 21, 2010, 04:19 PM   #16
wheelgunsarefun

Thanks for the help

I think I've decided to stick with the 38 for HD and CC and buy a used Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 with 5" bbl for a dedicated hunting revolver. It was a touch choice, but I think that the 44 will make a better all-around hunting weapon just in case I decide to go after anything other than whitetails in the future. Also, it's hard to find a 357 in such a tiny package as my model 36. The J-frame 357s just dont have the hunting capability that the full-sized Ruger has.

Thanks for the help and I'll post pics when I get the 44!

Wheel
Old May 21, 2010, 05:16 PM   #17
Radar

Glad you went that way.

Although I hunt with both .357 and .44, the .44 is much more effective with a well placed shot. Both great for deer at <50 yards.
My deer guns...all scoped.
Big Daddy, Marlin 1894SS .44Mag Nikon 3-9X40 for the > 50 shots.

Super Blackhawk, Simmons 4X, Houge rubber grips.

686 with a Bushnell red dot.

I prefer the .44 for the "leap-fall down factor". The .357, they may run for a bit.
The Marlin always goes, the revolver choice depends on what I feel like that day.
Old May 21, 2010, 05:26 PM   #18
wheelgunsarefun

What a nice collection!

Anybody else have experience with (and/or pictures of) the Ruger Super Blackhawk in stainless with 5" bbl?
Old May 29, 2010, 06:38 PM   #19
CarbineCaleb

Quote:
Well you want a fairly beefy double-action .357 Magnum with a 4-6 inch barrel then. I'd say S&W 686 is first choice, then Ruger GP100.
Old June 4, 2010, 05:28 PM   #20
wheelgunsarefun

Just an update...

Picked up a stainless Ruger Super BlackHawk with 7" barrel today and it was AWESOME to shoot. I started out with a box of 44 specials (180 grain I think?) and was completely surprised by how little felt recoil there was. Next I tried some 200 grain 44 magnums and, wearing a pair of thin leather police "pat down" gloves, felt very little recoil with them either. The Ruger SBH is so much fun to shoot. If I could afford it, I'd shoot the 44 specials all day long.

I have to agree with the description of 38/357s as "snappy" and the 44s as more of a "rumble." The 38 snub just sort of slaps my hands whereas the 44 rolls up and eats most of the recoil.

Thanks for all the advice!!!
Old June 4, 2010, 07:13 PM   #21
Daryl

Congrat's on the new shooter!

Sounds like you're already enjoying it.

Daryl