The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 5, 2008, 11:06 AM   #1
ringworm

WHy the "BEST" bullet may be the cheapo

good study on what bullets do. 180 grain from MV of 300 weatherby to 200+ yard imact w/ 308s are covered. Looks to me like the old cor-loc is a winner.
The premiums work well but only within a narrow velocity range.
Gary Sciuchetti The Best Hunting Bullet
Old September 5, 2008, 01:22 PM   #2
LionHunter

How about a link, since this post is too small to read?
Old September 5, 2008, 01:49 PM   #3
ringworm

best i could do. save it and enlarge. thats what i had to do.
Old September 5, 2008, 03:05 PM   #4
azredhawk44

I've seen that poster before.

I can't zoom on the saved copy... it gets grainy really quick and you can't read any of the text. Looks like photobucket downgraded the resolution when you uploaded it.

I do remember it made me quite partial to 165gr and 180gr in .308 and 170gr in .30-30 though, if it's the same poster.
Old September 5, 2008, 03:36 PM   #5
HOGGHEAD

Bullets

Now you know darn good and well that if you do not pay at least $1.00 a bullet then they can not be worth a ***. How can all the writers, mfrs. workers, sales reps., and whoever else go on free hunting trips if you shoot the CHEAP bullets. Tom.
Old September 5, 2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Quickdraw Limpsalot

Found it:

http://stevespages.com/jpg/bestbullet.jpg

I've always had good luck with Cor-Lokt bullets in my .35 Remington, FWIW.
Old September 5, 2008, 05:30 PM   #7
Loader9

Quickdraw, that link isn't going to work. I get a 403 forbidden. If you go to stevespages and under the Bullets section, go to Terminal Performance, at the bottom of the page you'll find the words "best bullet". That is the pic. It's just a pic of bullets and how they deform from 1400'ps to 3100'ps based on the 30 caliber bullets available. I've always had great luck with Core-Loks and they are the general bullet of choice for hunting. I'm even sitting a bunch of bronze tipped Remingtons and those are fabulous on big game or game at distance.

http://stevespages.com/table3.html
Old September 5, 2008, 11:20 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The arguments over "best" and "cheap vs. premium" or whatever can be amusing.

From the FWIW files:

My father only used the 150-grain Hornady Spire Points for his '06. He got lots of invites where he'd kill deer for the poker-players and whiskey drinkers, so over a roughly forty-year period I'd guess he killed maybe 200 or more. He told me one time his high year was 32 bucks. He had witnesses to kills to 500 yards.

My conclusion is that the bullet performed quite adequately.

Me, I've mostly used Sierras, but one of my more self-satisfying shots was with a 150-grain Remington Bronze Point. Last day of the season. I lacked a buck. Camp was broken down and everything packed. One last run around the pasture. I spotted a buck way up a hillside. My father stopped the jeep, and I turned in the seat and shot. 350 yards, DRT. I still have the horns, a memory from thirty years back.

I dunno. All ya gotta do is read up a bit on the design of any particular bullet. They all work, if loaded within their operating parameters.
Old September 6, 2008, 07:21 PM   #9
crowbeaner

Do you mean to tell me that I just loaded 700 rounds of worthless ammo because I used RP Core Lokts in 2 calibers? I mean some of them were the originals from the 60s! Does this mean I have to pull ALL those bullets, dump the powder and start all over with Nosler Partitions to kill a fat little spikehorn? I wish I'd known before I started! Maybe I should try those new buck-a-pop Swift Scirocco IIs. My poor old /06 will probably misfire. The kids .243 might not go off safe! What am I to do? Stay home, or hunt with the muzzleloader? Decisions, decisions. I know! Bowhunt! No powder to dump, no bullets to pull, no noise, I can sit in a tree and act like a squirrel and eat my trail mix! Cheese and crackers! Snickers bars! Fig Newtons! Pistachio nuts! Cashews! No noise, no noise! WAGH!
Old September 7, 2008, 07:18 AM   #10
ringworm

you MUST use Barnes MRX or North Forks if you plan on killing anything bidder than a bluejay.
Old September 8, 2008, 02:35 AM   #11
Death from Afar

This is not a flame- but the best bullet is the one that lands where it should, as oppossed to the premium teflon coated laser guided cyanide tipped ones that you can only afford to fire one box a season....
Old September 8, 2008, 06:03 AM   #12
ringworm

my bullet of choice became the hornady 165 BTSP #3045 becasue a few years back I got a really good deal on some hornady ammo using it #8098. I was very impressed with the bullets ability to open from 25 feet to 200 yards and penetrate well.
I began loading it as a standard round after i figured a charge to duplicate the hornady factory ballistics.
I now have a stockpile of 425+ loaded of that round in 308.
not only does it work well on deer but is as good of a target load as i could hope for.
now that i have a digital scale i'll be it would shoot better...
Old September 8, 2008, 09:42 PM   #13
BIGR

Pretty good shooting.
Old October 11, 2008, 12:20 AM   #14
sam4

Bullet poster

the poster is still available to purchase if you are interested (Gary is my father) they are $15 and it covers the postage. please email me at [email protected] for the address.

the poster has very clear pictures and the full article. A new article will be coming out in Handloader this November.

cheers,
sami
Old October 12, 2008, 05:31 PM   #15
VaFisher

Only one persons veiw and I have seen several different versions of these and all of them are different and all claiming something different.
Old October 14, 2008, 12:41 AM   #16
Inspector3711

We should all remember that plane jane bullets have undoubtedly killed more game in the last 100 years than expensive "fancy" bullets. More expensive isn't always better. Our parents and grandparents certainly didn't need anything more than standard Winchester or Remington loads to get their deer or elk. Of course, I do like Hornady and Nosler!
Old October 14, 2008, 05:10 AM   #17
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

I've killed many deer with Remington CoreLokt bullets in .35 Remington and .300 WinMag.

No problem with accuracy. No problem with killing them. Now most of the shots were through and through so the bullet was never recovered. Of the perhaps 10% that did not exit, every single one of the bullet's core and jacket had completely separated.

I've had CoreLokt bullets explode shortly after entry a couple of times. With one buck, the jacket turned into a Cuisanart. The only organ in that buck that was not pureed was its bladder. Talk about a mess to clean.

Yep, they are accurate. Yep, they kill game. Yep, they're inexpensive. Nope, I'll never buy another.