The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 25, 2006, 10:38 PM   #51
TimboKhan

Well, I can't say that I totally agree with the man, but you know, at least as far as I am concerned, he has a point when he says:

Quote:
However, I wonder how many of those that spend so much time thinking about and planning tactics for a home invasion are also spending time to exercise so that their blood pressure doesn't get to high. Heart disease kills way more people than crazed lunatics attacking a random home with apparently no motive other than brutal murder
I am 34 and grossly overweight, and I am dealing with high blood pressure and heart issues as we speak. Luckily, at this exact moment, I am not in immediate danger, but I am trying very hard to make some serious life changes. Speaking only for myself, I was an athlete in high school, and I was a Marine, so I obviously stayed in shape for a while after high school too. At some point, I said to hell with excercise and eating right, and now I am literally twice the size that I was in 1994. Look, I am not trying to get sympathy or anything like that. Me getting as fat as I am is my problem, not yours. Still, the point is made. How many of us are looking after our health? If you can answer yes, excellent. If you answer no, well, make changes before you get in as bad of shape as I have.
Old September 25, 2006, 11:00 PM   #52
azurefly

Kozak, man, how long did you have to work on that to perfect it?!

Great stuff!

-azurefly
Old September 25, 2006, 11:08 PM   #53
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
As a membership we can turn what appear to be silly questions or topics into constructive discussions about more practical terms - but it's up to us.
You've echoed my thoughts, Trip, but said it better than I could.

When Erick returned from the sandbox, he posted his disappointment on what T&T had become. He's right when he referred to the quality of threads back when TFL was new and shiny, and he's right when he says that a lot of the old Masters quit frequenting TFL because of the silliness.

But it isn't just the zombie threads and the SHTF threads. It also includes condescending replies to newbies that are asking what to them are serious questions. Some of the threads that we might deem as silly can be turned around into a serious discussion, but as Trip said, it's up to you.

So how 'bout it? Can we raise the bar once again here in T&T? Can we bring back and gain the respect of the Masters once again?

As Trip said, it's up to you.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old September 26, 2006, 05:27 AM   #54
saypek

Quote:
As a membership we can turn what appear to be silly questions or topics into constructive discussions about more practical terms
I agree also.

OR.. (if that's hard to do depending on the level of silliness )

Maybe we could just stop replying to silly threads/ posts so as to minimize the silliness on this forum... and by doing that we can also avoid offending the poster, specially the sensitive ones.
Old September 26, 2006, 09:11 AM   #55
bartonkj

I am reminded of a certain philosophy/observation I have made about society in general. I may have a hard time explaining it thoroughly in a short post.

If you think of this group as a moving entity with mass - most people are in the middle, fewer are on the fringe. The group moves in any given direction at a slow pace because of its mass. If you think of the individuals on the fringe as those that expend a great deal of energy to move the mass in a given direction you can draw a correlation between those that seem to have extreme ideas about what it means to be prepared and those that are more in the middle. The energy (or ideas if you will) of those on the fringe need to be extreme (as compared to the majority in the middle) in order to exert enough force to move the entire mass in a given direction.

In other words - I think it is good to see the thinking of people who one thinks are extreme because it helps one explore possibilities and better come to terms with what one should do to feel comfortable in one's daily living situation. The ideal is to observe, think, and grow from one's observations. You may not agree with what you think to be extreme behavoir but at least it gets you thinking about the topic and helps you move in a direction to be better prepared in your own mind.