The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 12, 2005, 09:23 PM   #1
Southern Cross

Help Needed: PSG-1/MSG-90/HK91/G3/PTR

I have been searching for the gun of my dreams for months now. Through playing video games I have fallen in love with the HK PSG-1 and all of the tactical/sniper rifles in the same vein. It is truly a beautiful rifle. A few months ago I bought a Tokyo Marui PSG-1 airsoft rifle. It is an exact copy of the original in every way but the ammo. A buddy of mine from work took me shooting with him and I get a chance to try some real rifles. Needless to say I had a blast! I need to get a real one. Since I'm not rich man...I need to get a clone and add the PSG-1 grip/stock/etc. I have been looking at the JLD Enterprises PTR 91A1. I'm basically going for the sniper look. I also like the HK SL8 dressed in G36 black but I have had even less luck finding info on it. The dealers in my area have all been fairly clueless or pretty much blew me off when I ask about this project. I'm lookin to keep the whole deal below $2000 but would be willing to go higher if the rifle was that good. Everyone here seems to know a hell of a lot more than what I can find on the web. Do you guys think I will have much success building my PSG-1 or G36 clone? Do you guys have any good sites where I could find the goodies needed...I have only been able to find one site that had the stock and grip (No luck on gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com)? Also, how much do you think I am looking at total here? Any help would be much appreciated! I am dying to get this project started!
Old July 12, 2005, 11:24 PM   #2
boofus

If you want a rare German imported precision rifle you gotta pay to play.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/se...gi?read=114988
MSG90 clone for $9000

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/se...gi?read=114938
Factory PSG1 converted to MSG90A1, $20000
Old July 13, 2005, 02:57 AM   #3
Casp_A

Real MSG90's aren't legal because they take a normal HK trigger group, like a G3 or MP5, which apparently makes them machine guns. The PSG1 is perfectly legal because it takes the same style trigger modual as an HK91, which is semiauto only. Modifying an HK91 into a PSG1 lookalike won't do you any good because the PSG1 is a completely different monster on the inside, completely proprietary for precision purposes. PSG1's are also extremely expensive; you're looking at generally $12-$18 grand for a real PSG. It is the ultimate HK collectors item though.
Old July 13, 2005, 02:12 PM   #4
Southern Cross

Holy hell! That is a lot of money for a gun! To be honest, I am going more for the look of the gun. I think I can get it pretty close. The only thing I see that will give me trouble is the barrel. I am just having trouble finding the grip and stock. I have been fing JLD PTR91 models all over the place.
Old July 13, 2005, 02:28 PM   #5
RevolverLover

Here is a website that sells the parts you are looking for but the stock is expensive at $960 and the grip at $95

HK Parts
Old July 13, 2005, 03:12 PM   #6
cansniper

Does it have to be a semi? You can get a great bolt actions for one third of that price. For example sako Trg, Tikka tactical etc. Do more research!!!!
Old July 13, 2005, 06:09 PM   #7
Death from Afar

Years ago I shot a PSG1. To be honest, although they look VERY cool, I wasnt particularly impressed. The accuracy was OK- I cant recall the group size, but I do know the old issue Parker Hale TX1200's were shooting rings around them. I would never use a semi auto on a sniping rifle. You loose control of where the cases go, and there is the (slim) risk of light catching the brass as it is ejected. Which could be nasty.

I think the TRG is a far better bit of gear, and if you get that bad boy in .338 LAPUA you will have THE ultimate rifle. There is nothing on earth better.
Old November 27, 2005, 04:46 PM   #8
michael sprowls

ptr-91---------->psg1

Im thinking of doin the same with my PTR. I know you can find some U.S. repro PSG1 "style" grips from DSA (www.dsarms.com), they have them advertised in the NOV 21 shotgun news on page 42 for $49. I don't know if they are a perfect match for the real thing, but they have adj. palm rests and I bet they would feel alot better than the original PTR grip. If I get one I'll tell you how I like it (if I remember). More importantly, the trigger. There is a shop called Williams Trigger Specialties I found (also in shotgun news: NOV 21 page 74) that can do a "PSG1" trigger job on your orig. Hk-91 or a PTR. Thats what I plan on having done to my rifle once I save $200. Its also a real good looking trigger, you can see it at www.williamstriggers.com. As for the stock, my PTR is the "Kurz Paratrooper" model with that sexy collapsible stock, and that isn't going anywhere.
Old November 27, 2005, 07:16 PM   #9
Nicotine

What about a custom PTR? Something more original? Maybe if your just trying to add the tactical LOOK to an already great rifle, you could add an ergo grip and find a stock at ACE ltd. that would do you fine.http://www.aceltdusa.com/index2.htm
From there you could use a low-profile claw rail on top of the receiver,http://www.mfiap.com/airsoft/acce/laser.htm
and your choice of foreend. I think Surefire makes a 3-rail foreend for the HK-91 style rifle.
Old November 27, 2005, 11:29 PM   #10
michael sprowls

thanks

thanks nicotine, that scope mount is just what i was lookin for. i didnt want one of those tall goofy rigs but i couldn't find a lo-rise till now