The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 9, 2000, 07:02 PM   #1
DAL

Are there any affordable ($2500-3500) full auto submachineguns (9mm) out there? From my limited understanding, all full autos for civilians must have been manufactured prior to 1986, and no semi auto version of anything manufactured since then can be converted.

Is this correct?

If it is, who was the &%$*@+! genious that came up with that rule? All that did was to make them a rich man's toy.
DAL

P.S. I know this is far-fetched, especially for my limited mechanical abilities, but what about making your own full auto from scratch and the registering it with the BATF?
------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA

[This message has been edited by DAL (edited August 09, 2000).]
Old August 10, 2000, 03:42 AM   #2
chetchat

First, one of the best sources of online info regarding NFA firearms is at www.subguns.com Check out the Recommended Dealers, Firearms Laws, and Message Boards. Lots of good info there.

There are a few 9mm subguns available within your price range. Uzis, including the new Vector Uzis (http://www.vectorarms.com/indexframe.html), go for $2.5-3.5. You can get an original NIB Powder Springs M-10 with a suppressor and a few thousand rounds of ammo for around $2k. Gulf Coast Armory (http://www.gulfcoastarmory.com/) has a great MAC resource page with links and videos. H&K MP-5s run $7.5-10K, just in case you were wondering

And with the right licensing and clearances, you can manufacture your own subguns, suppressors, etc. The info is out there, and if you can work within the restrictions and requirements, you can become a manufacturer. Good luck.

Nick

[This message has been edited by chetchat (edited August 10, 2000).]
Old August 10, 2000, 09:40 AM   #3
DAL

Thanks for all of the info.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
Old August 11, 2000, 06:42 AM   #4
Mulio Rex

Im strongly considering becoming a dealer, true, you won't ever be able to "own" much of your stock, but at least you get to play with it.

------------------
Big Guns again
No speakee well
But plain.
--H.C
Old August 11, 2000, 01:30 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is not a "rule", it is a law, and the @$# "genius" was the U.S. Congress. Do you vote? If not, don't complain.

Jim
Old August 11, 2000, 05:16 PM   #6
DAL

Thank you, Jim Keenan, for correcting my malapropism. It is, indeed, a law and not a rule.

Yes, I do vote, and I've voted a straight Republican ticket for the last 20 years, but no more. Suffice it to say that I'll be voting for a third party, and I'll do so until I see the Republican party return to a Constitutionally-based platform, or until my demise. (I'm betting the latter will occur first.) I could say much more, but I don't want to turn this into a political discussion in this forum, so I'll leave it there.

To quote Paul Harvey, "good day."
DAL

------------------