The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 18, 2013, 10:03 AM   #1
Dragline45

Beretta 92 Wear - Normal or Not?

I already sent this to Beretta and am waiting for a reply but I figured I would also post it here to see if any of you can compare it to your own. I noticed just recently that part of the rail on the Beretta has metal starting to be displaced backwards and was just wondering if this is normal wear or something to be concerned about. Here are a couple photos with the areas highlighted. The gun only has about 250 rounds through it and has always been kept well lubricated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beretta1.jpg (59.1 KB, 895 views)
File Type: jpg Beretta 2.jpg (53.7 KB, 851 views)
Old October 18, 2013, 10:28 AM   #2
ChrisTx

Mine has seen thousands of rounds and doesn't look like that.
Old October 18, 2013, 10:33 AM   #3
OcSpeed

Seems like a bad heat treat job or none on that piece.
Old October 18, 2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Beretta686

Mine has well over 10k rounds through it and there's no marking on the section you're pointing to.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 18, 2013, 11:01 AM   #5
aarmel732

Just pulled out both my Beretta and the Taurus clone, neither look like that.
Old October 18, 2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Crossfire Arms, LLC

I have to agree with the folks above, mine has been around for quite some time and doesn't look anything like that.
[email protected]
Old October 18, 2013, 01:32 PM   #7
ShipWreck

I have several, but cannot look at them at the moment.

Honestly - I'd wait and see what happens after more rounds.

It wouldn't hurt to contact Beretta and email them the photos, I suppose. But, I'd just keep an eye on it and see what happens. It is a machine. Different things happen during the manufacturing process on different guns. If it shoots fine, never changes, and doesn't malfunction - I personally wouldn't worry about it. If it gets worse, then it is worth looking into further.
Old October 18, 2013, 03:44 PM   #8
Dragline45

I am going to go ahead and send it in while it is still under warranty. Based on what you all have said and all the photos I have seen I have yet to see any indication that this is normal wear, especially for a gun with such a low round count.
Old October 19, 2013, 01:52 PM   #9
dgludwig

I think you're doing the smart thing, Dragline45; especially while the pistol is still under warranty. My Model 92 has a fair number of rounds through it (but under a thousand) and I see no evidence of the rearward displacement as depicted in your Beretta. There's no upside to waiting to see what happens after firing x number of rounds and wondering what to do after the warranty period has run out and no downside to having the factory rectify what appears to be (as OcSpeed opined) a bad or no heat treatment.
I am curious as to what Beretta has to say...
Old October 20, 2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Dragline45

Thanks to everyone for replying. The gun will be off to Beretta sometime this week. I'll make sure to keep this thread updated with how everything turns out.
Old November 1, 2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Dragline45

Just got an email back from Beretta. They said the pistol is unrepairable and they will be exchanging it for a new one. No word yet on how long that will take but honestly I am just happy they are standing by their warranty and sending me a new pistol. Thumbs up to Beretta customer service, would not hesitate to buy another gun from them knowing they take care of their customers.
Old November 1, 2013, 04:06 PM   #12
southjk

That's great. Not that it's unrepairable but that they are giving you a new good. Good for Beretta.
Old November 1, 2013, 04:08 PM   #13
WESHOOT2

reliable vs durable

When you get your new one sell it and buy a gun that doesn't do that?
Old November 1, 2013, 04:55 PM   #14
Dragline45

Quote:
When you get your new one sell it and buy a gun that doesn't do that?
Not all 92 series pistols have this occur. In fact I searched the internet and was not able to come across a single other case similar to mine. I have faith that the pistol they send me will be fine and I am going to chalk this up as a freak incident and leave it at that. What happened to this particular gun is not normal wear for the Beretta 92 series pistols. If you read the comments in this thread several users posted saying they have hundreds or even thousands of rounds through their Beretta with no sign of this type of damage. To assume just because it happened to this pistol means it happens to all M9/92's is just not the case. If every time I read about someones pistol failing, breaking, or having to be sent back to the factory for repair and assumed it happens to every one I probably wouldn't own any of the guns I do. I have had to send pistols back to Sig, Ruger, S&W, and now in this case Beretta. Every time I got a gun back it performed the way it should without any problems.

Last edited by Dragline45; November 1, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old November 1, 2013, 05:20 PM   #15
pgdion

Glad to hear they took care of you. Beretta has always been one of my favorite companies and the 92FS is by far my favorite gun. Has run thousands of rounds with no issues.
Old November 1, 2013, 07:09 PM   #16
rodfac

Always nice to hear a success story, Drag. And doubly glad Beretta stood by their warranty.

My son #2, a former Marine who qualified Expert with the M9 each and every time he fired for score, has put over 6600 rounds through his personal M92 and still gets sub-2" gps from it. We loaded Winchester 115 gr JHP's for it to a 1100 fps velocity level almost exclusively...and while it isn't my cup of tea because of the DA/SA trigger and fat grip, it was and continues to be an outstanding gun. Hope yours works out as well for you. Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 1, 2013, 10:04 PM   #17
pgdion

btw - I don't know how many rounds are through my 92 but it's a lot (a real lot). Just checked mine and it has no wear there either.

I would have been with Shipwreck and thought wait and see if it gets worse. Looks like sending it in was the right call.
Old November 2, 2013, 01:11 AM   #18
wayneinFL

Ran across this a little late in the game. Checked both of mine, and no such wear. I'm relieved. Hope you get yours back soon.
Old November 3, 2013, 01:49 PM   #19
RussB

Quote:
Just got an email back from Beretta. They said the pistol is unrepairable and they will be exchanging it for a new one. No word yet on how long that will take but honestly I am just happy they are standing by their warranty and sending me a new pistol. Thumbs up to Beretta customer service, would not hesitate to buy another gun from them knowing they take care of their customers.

Very cool! Glad Beretta took care of you!!

I have a 92FS as well, and it's assuring to know they stand behind their products
Old November 3, 2013, 04:06 PM   #20
eviltravis

I've shot one beretta 92fs to nearly worn out. (thousands of rounds) I'm on my second one now and don't have nearly as many rounds through it. Neither one of them looked like what you have in your pics there. I'm glad to hear that they are doing right by you. Beretta is a quality firearm and company in my experience.

ET
Old November 3, 2013, 08:40 PM   #21
thedudeabides

Dug my M9 out of the basement safe. 35k rounds, doesn't look like that.
Old November 3, 2013, 08:47 PM   #22
Yung.gunr

Man, you got me all worried. I went upstairs and checked mine, luckily it doesn't look like yours did. Glad to hear they took care of you. Keep us posted on your replacement one.
Old November 3, 2013, 09:01 PM   #23
Dragline45

Quote:
Dug my M9 out of the basement safe. 35k rounds, doesn't look like that.
Just interested, with such a high round count have you had to replace the locking block yet? From what I understand the locking blocks typically start to see breakages around the 22,000 round mark.

Not that I am worried about the locking block but I have a spare one as well as a few trigger and recoil springs put aside. I actually keep certain spare parts for all my pistols in including mag springs.
Old November 3, 2013, 09:20 PM   #24
thedudeabides

Quote:
Just interested, with such a high round count have you had to replace the locking block yet? From what I understand the locking blocks typically start to see breakages around the 22,000 round mark.

Not that I am worried about the locking block but I have a spare one as well as a few trigger and recoil springs put aside. I actually keep certain spare parts for all my pistols in including mag springs.
I replaced it at about 30k rounds because I was told that it would eventually break. At that time I also replaced most of the springs, just for the hell of it.

Honestly, that gun saw next to zero maintenance for most of its life until that time.
Old November 3, 2013, 09:34 PM   #25
Dragline45

That's good to hear. Before I got my Beretta I kept reading about locking block failures but eventually decided the whole thing was way overblown and didn't let it stop me from buying one. Seeing as yours surpassed even the factories recommended round count for swapping them out I am not too worried about it.