The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old December 20, 2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Metal god

Executive order ?

My question is , after the vice president and the commision submits there recommendations . Can the president sign them in to law using executive order . If so how many votes does it take to override an executive order ? I would think 2/3 but lets hope a simple majority .

If a executive order was signed baning all said assault weapons . Can it go in to effect immediately leaving all the gun makers with products they can not sell ? What course of action would the gun companies have if this were the case .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 20, 2012, 02:31 PM   #2
thallub

Quote:
Can the president sign them in to law using executive order.
No!!!!!
Old December 20, 2012, 02:48 PM   #3
iraiam

I wrote a email to the President asking for clarification on some statements he made during the last press conference, although he did not specifically use the term "Executive Order" he did say he would use his "Executive Powers", much of the commentary after the conference was about ""Executive Orders".

I have text ready to go out in e-mail and printed letters to representives demanding the Articles of Impeachment be brought to bear in the event of any Executive Orders are used to unlawfully restrict any of our rights.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old December 20, 2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Kimio

It has to be an adjustment to a current law that is in effect, an Executive order cannot create a new law, all it does is clarify and makes adjustments to how said laws are to be executed. At least that is how I understand it.

There was a thread here that explains it better than I ever could, though I don't remember which thread it was.
Old December 20, 2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Metal god

Quote:
It has to be an adjustment to a current law that is in effect, an Executive order cannot create a new law, all it does is clarify and makes adjustments to how said laws are to be executed. At least that is how I understand it.
As by the OP Im sure you know Im not that good with the law .

I'm sure there is a law out there that can be adjusted to do just what they want . I don't know much about it but what about the original federal gun legislation making it illegal to own firearms that are full auto and barrels under 16" . Can they just piggy back someting on to that law ?

This is all going to come down to wording and how the wording is interpreted . My guess is they will try to get what ever law past they can and let the NRA fight it in court .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 20, 2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god
...Can the president sign them in to law using executive order...
No!

Discussed at length here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god
As by the OP Im sure you know Im not that good with the law...
If you want to become involved in RKBA issues and understand what's going on, it would be a good idea to become better educated in the law, how the legal system works and how the government works. But there's a limit to how much of that we can do here.

Closed.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread