The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 14, 2008, 08:01 PM   #1
IZZY

PP Owners, is this Normal?

I have a hand picked 71 Ulm Walther PP I bought from Aim surplus a few years ago...

Fired it 3 years ago with S and B .32...no problems other than one time the hammer rode down with the slide.

I left overseas for a spell, came back withe the wife and went shooting on her Birth day...from the same lot of S and B.

Cleaning the gun I notice this:

Is this NORMAL?

Why would the mag release button be gouging the bottom of the slide? Does anyone else observe the same situation with theirs?

Anyone see this on German/ French PP/K 's ?

I want to hard chrome it for carry, but I worry I got a lemon....
Old May 14, 2008, 08:16 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I checked several and one shows rubbing signs, but not the deeper mark in the pictures. I think it is not "normal" but probably not unknown; I doubt it could interfere with the slide, but it could possibly interfere with the magazine release. In any case, a couple of file strokes on the bottom of the slide should take care of the problem.

Jim
Old May 14, 2008, 10:14 PM   #3
IZZY

Jim thank you for the reply!

The gouges are deeper than this picture would make it appear ( the focus is on the inside of the slide...but it's the best my wife could do, and my photo attempts were worse)

It does not appear to impede function...but I wonder if a side-to-side play issue is a factor when shooting...

Just not what one expects from Carl W.

I know that the frame was french made, as are all post 1945, and pre-1986 PP/K's. So I figure this one is ever so slightly "out of spec" ...and the result of two factories attempting to keep "in the zone" and just having a bad day. (worn eqpt. Tired/ drunk worker etc.)

Just started fidiling with the gun....and the up-down play on it is considerably more than the 3 Interams PPk's I've had.

(of the USA made one only one was good! but man they were TIGHT when NEW...tho' a stainless one seemed to get rattly and loose after 120 rounds!)
Old May 15, 2008, 11:11 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

As I said, cosmetic issue aside, I don't see that there would be any problem except maybe in the mag catch binding on the slide. Since you can't send the gun back, it would be simpler just to take a flat file or a stone to the slide (or the mag catch, but the mag catch is a PITA to remove) and make a slight gap. The gap doesn't need to be much, the thickness of a sheet of paper should be enough.

Jim
Old May 25, 2008, 09:44 AM   #5
IZZY

Jim,

Gothcha' and thank you for taking the time to disassemble a few of your own

Over at p38forum- dot- com no replies... I won't waste much time over there

I decided to try and keep this puppy and get the Wolf spring pack...that is for the near future...I agree it is worth keeping.

My PREGNANT wife - on her Birthday no less- shot it at 25 yards hitting the target 4 out of 5 shots before "giving up". This was her first time with a handgun...and we were having "issues"

So I know it's a keeper in the accuracy dept.