The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2005, 02:03 PM   #1
45 Carry

Lee loader from 1961

I found a hand reloader made by Lee for .45 ACP. It's in a box about 5" x 6" with a decapper, a die, a primer loader, a primer remover pin, a case removing tool, bullet seater, and a # 039 powder measure. The brass is hammered into the parafin lubed die then the primer is removed, the case removed from the die and a primer inserted, the powder added the bullet seated and it's all sone with a hammer, one round at a time.
Does anyone remember these? Does the powder measurer add the correct amount of grains depending on the powder type. The loading chart lists 4 types of powder and weights of 4.2 to 5.9 grains.
Can anyone offer any help with using this loader?
Old April 29, 2005, 02:23 PM   #2
caz223

You know what's funny, I stole this link from a thread, just 2 posts older than this one.
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/prin...e=Tech%20Notes
Old April 29, 2005, 02:28 PM   #3
caz223

I started out on one.
Anybody sez you can't make good ammo with a $20 lee loader is full of poop.
You just can't make a lot of it really fast.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=169232
Old April 29, 2005, 02:37 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

45 - You'd be surprised how many of us started out using the Lee Loaders way back when. Mine were in 22-250 and 30-30, still have them.

As for the powder dipper supplied, it almost always yields loads at or near the minimum for a given caliber. In other words, they are neither accurate nor do they give you an optimum load. I would advise getting a scale (a beam will be the least expensive and is very accurate) no matter what. You'll need one eventually anyway. The same goes for a reloading manual (or two).

Safety advice - always wear safety glasses when using the Lee Loader or, in fact, when doing any reloading with any press. The Lee Loader has a bad reputation for setting off the occasional primer when hammering them in. I know I've set off my share. Use a plastic, or hard leather hammer, never a metal one.
Old April 29, 2005, 03:54 PM   #5
relientk1988

Just bought mine...

yeah that link was from my thread. I've found the lee kit is very easy to use and once you get the process going it's easy.
Old April 29, 2005, 09:53 PM   #6
farmall

I have lee loaders in 220 swift, 22-250, 243, 270, and 22 hornet. i dont use them for production, but for working up loads at the range they are about the best thing i have found. the quality of ammo they will produce is second to none. i also agree that a good scale and manual are crucial if you want any level of performance. good luck and welcome to the highly addictive world of reloading. Above all, Be Safe!!! Andy.