The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 13, 2010, 05:00 PM   #1
JamesRJr

Brass vs. Copper JHP jacket material: Question

I don't know how I've been able to miss this all these years.
I just thought all jhp ammo used Copper jackets.
And "most" do I guess.
But I've recently come to realize that some manufacturers use brass as the jacket material.
Including Remington and Sellier & Bellot.

I'm sure that the brass jacketed bullet "works" just fine (expands, etc.), mainly because of the reputation of the Remington Golden Saber.

But my question is...
How does brass jacketed ammo leave your barrel after shooting?
Do I have to change my CLEANING ROUTINE if I start using brass jacketed rounds?
I'm just an "old dog" (both literally and figuratively) and hate learning new tricks.
But I can, if necessary.

So, tell me please:
- is brass better/worse than copper re: fouling?
- do I have to learn to clean differently if I go to using brass jacketed bullets? (And, if so, how?)
- etc.

Much obliged,

JamesD

P.S. Please respond first to my primary question above, but if anybody cares to opine further, I would also be quite interested to know why a manufacturer would chose one material over the other (brass vs. copper), what the material attributes are, etc.

Old November 13, 2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Jim243

I too missed that, never thought about it. Brass (copper & tin) is a harder material than just pure copper. Would produce less fowling in the barrel and hold the bullet together better at higher speeds. I too like the Gold Dots and Gold Sabers, but never thought about what material they were made of.

Both are excelent bullets and harder than hens teeth to find for reloading.

Jim
Old November 13, 2010, 09:35 PM   #3
chris in va

Brass *is* copper, with a little zinc mixed in.

Bronze is copper and tin.

There's a device that converts 22lr shell casings into 223 jackets.
Old November 14, 2010, 12:31 AM   #4
Jim243

Thanks Chris

Jim
Old November 14, 2010, 04:01 AM   #5
mete

Bullet jackets may be any one of a number of brass alloys. Pure copper will deposit more copper in the bore . 90 and 95 % copper brasses are called guilding metal .The more zinc in the brass the more yellow it appears. Cartridge brass is 30% zn .
Old November 14, 2010, 07:06 PM   #6
JamesRJr

Hey thanks everybody.

Between comments here and additional poking around I've done elsewhere, it all seems pretty straightforward to me now.

Appreciate your comments.

James
Old November 14, 2010, 10:21 PM   #7
cougar gt-e

I would guess that the "copper" jacket is mostly copper, but not 100.0000% pure copper. The advances in expansion, penetration and weight retention are a result of diddling with the alloy used. Probably hasn't been true copper in a long time. Thankfully
Old October 15, 2011, 12:30 AM   #8
sthomper

less fowling........

what is fowling??? is it the same as fouling???
Old October 15, 2011, 12:36 AM   #9
sthomper

DPX is a solid copper hollowpoint bullet that combines the best of the lightweight high speed JHPs and the heavy weight, deep penetrating JHPs.............

http://www.shopcorbon.com/DPX-Handgun/200/200/dept

are these real bullets???

i see photos that depict the bullet after being fired and the always show a very perfect expansion yet i cant see any scoring on the bullets before they have been fired to wold indicate they could 'petal' the way that they do.

is there some type of scoring on the inside of the hollow seection???

can solid copper even perfrom like the photos i have seen?????
Old October 15, 2011, 12:52 AM   #10
briandg

I ho9nestly believe, if you want this thought, that the brass bullet was mostly created for effect, like the silvertip. all lthese years later, how many other bullets have used aluminum jackets?

The brass jacket on the gold saber, being much harder than a copper jacket, is already skived and folded. When it impacts the target and opens up, it will not under normal circumstances open any farther or flop over.

I don't know what the real performance specs are, but the idea always kind of left me shaking my head. I'm going to stand by more flexible copper materials, not brass.
Old October 15, 2011, 06:51 AM   #11
mete

Corbon DPX rounds are made with Barnes all copper bullets .They've been around for many years and have an excellent record as a premium bullet .YES they do perform like the photos show both the handgun and rifle bullets .
Last year I got a 250 lb deer with my 44 mag with DPX , one shot !!
For defense loads for pistols they will perform better than others !

I tried taking a deer this year with Federal's Swift A-frame 280 gr bullet in an attempt to compare but the bullet didn't hit anything substantial .Anothe r one shot kill !

Yesterday at the diner they were talking about hunting deer .I mentioned that I had just taken another deer with my M29. One fellow asked "is that enough ? " I said "of course !' Turns out that he hunts with a "handgun " too but a T/C single shot in 243 Win , with scope.
I don't need that .I use iron sights, no rest , about 2 seconds to aim and shoot .Of course I'm handicapped -- I'm a "seasoned citizen" !!