The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old February 7, 2010, 07:18 PM   #26
Webleymkv

Quote:
What stantonizm described is the exact reverse of BG/GG. How many times in this forum have members posted about suspicious looking characters cruising their neighborhood and they are in full alert? “Condition Yellow?” “Condition Orange?” Get their primary and get their BUG and get their “Significant Other” calling 911 while they are loading their SBS to “PROTECT THEIR PROPERTY!?
Had the OP been on Mr. Tatoo's property, you might have a point. However, when Mr. Tatoo leaves his property and chases the OP down on a public road with the intention of possibly making an example of him, things are different. Sounds to me like the local police need to be made aware of Mr. Tatoo.
Old February 7, 2010, 08:46 PM   #27
ClayInTx

Outcast,
I well knew the chest thumpers would have to have their “what I would have done” input. There are a lot of brave persons out there who will not take any gaff from anyone—until it actually happens.

Stanton, and all the rest who protested this:
I did not say you were legally required to inform the locals what you were doing. I did not say you had no legal right to be on that road.

However, there is such a thing as just getting along in this world and stopping to chat would have made your life a lot easier. There is no way I will go into a strange area such as you described, to hunt, without making a short semi-social call on the local folk.

Stanton did not do something stupid but he did do something the wrong way. Had he stopped and chatted he would probably have been told the best place to find coyotes, been thanked for going after them, and told to stop by on his way out for coffee and apple pie.

I agree that Tattoo did wrong and I stated that in my first post. Tattoo could have gotten himself killed had Stanton really been a BG. That’s why I said Tattoo should be the one asking what he should have done. He probably caught hell from his wife and family for it. He was lucky this time and is in dire need of mending his ways.

Stanton, I believe you also need to do a little mending. I suggest stopping and talking to Tattoo the next time you want to hunt coyotes there. Apologize for upsetting him, neither agree nor disagree with his wife about how stupid it was, and you’ll likely end up with a friend.
Old February 7, 2010, 09:07 PM   #28
jad0110

Quote:
However, there is such a thing as just getting along in this world and stopping to chat would have made your life a lot easier.
Though I agree, if I had been in the OPs shoes, I would most likey have chatted with the residents who live closest to where I was parking. Afterall, the OP did state earlier that he parked fairly close to the end of a driveway. I probably would have at least cleared it with that property owner, that would have been reasonable. OTH, according to the OP, Mr. Tatoo lived around 5 houses and 1/4 to 1/2 a mile up the road, with several other houses in the area. Probably goes above and beyond expected courtesy to go on a "trick-or-treating" expedition 1/2+ miles up the road to every home in the area .

And I also agree that Mr. Tatoo, if concerned about theft, should have just called the cops. No since in getting yourself killed over a 4 wheeler.

To the OP, other than not having your handgun, I'd say rolling the window down (not sure how far down) may have been an error. Had Mr. Tatoo drawn a knife from his pocket, the window being up (or at least nearly so) would have been a blessing.

Also, having the truck in reverse as one other poster stated would have been another good move. You may have only had a 1/2 mile to work with, but it would have bought you a little time to retrieve a rifle.

But I am glad it turned out okay.
Old February 7, 2010, 09:44 PM   #29
win-lose

Letting him pass you on that road was a moderate tactical mistake. Letting him approach your window could have easily proven to be a catastrophic mistake. Once your passage was aggressively blocked, you should have thrown it in reverse and given yourself some distance (and some time).
Old February 7, 2010, 10:16 PM   #30
Webleymkv

Quote:
However, there is such a thing as just getting along in this world and stopping to chat would have made your life a lot easier. There is no way I will go into a strange area such as you described, to hunt, without making a short semi-social call on the local folk.

Stanton did not do something stupid but he did do something the wrong way. Had he stopped and chatted he would probably have been told the best place to find coyotes, been thanked for going after them, and told to stop by on his way out for coffee and apple pie.
I still don't follow you. The OP was not on Mr. Tattoo's property nor on any of his neighbors' property. Matter of fact, it doesn't sound like the OP was on property adjacent to Mr. Tattoo's. The OP was, in fact, simply passing Mr. Tattoo's property on a public road on his way to and from his destination (which was also public property). One cannot be reasonably expected to acquaint themselves with everyone who might live by the road they intend to travel on. Given Mr. Tattoo's unstable behavior, I don't think that his is a door I'd care to knock on anyway. One thing that I've learned about going "up some holler" is that it's not a good idea to go knocking on unfamiliar doors because while most people live in a "holler" because they enjoy peace and quiet, there are others out there for less legal reasons.
Old February 7, 2010, 10:23 PM   #31
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
That is just ridiculous. You are suggesting that folks stop by every house they pass before they go hunting just to let people know that you are there and what you will be doing? I don't think so, especially when the situation is dealing with public lands and public roads. The OP wasn't driving across private land via a right-of-way access to get to a lease on another piece of private land. So there is absolutely no reason what-so-ever to check in with the people in the houses being passed.
Old February 7, 2010, 11:12 PM   #32
stantonizm

Quote:
Stanton, I believe you also need to do a little mending. I suggest stopping and talking to Tattoo the next time you want to hunt coyotes there. Apologize for upsetting him, neither agree nor disagree with his wife about how stupid it was, and you’ll likely end up with a
We actually did end up on good terms. We introduced ourselves and bs'd awhile till he got too cold. He told us we could even park in his driveway next time if there wasn't room at the end of the road. He wasn't a bad guy, just a little aggressive in his tactics. He said he'd done it to another guy too and scared him pretty good.

Thanks for all your responses. You guys have answered my questions as far as what to do in a situation like that. If I had it to do over again I would probably have stopped in the middle of the road. I feel like I'd have a hard time continuing driving with a guy a couple feet from my bumber, swerving and flashing his lights. At least if I stopped that way I'd have an escape. From now on a handgun will go with me on all trips without exception. If this guy had had worse intentions I would have been SOL this time.
Old February 7, 2010, 11:30 PM   #33
ClayInTx

Okay, time to put this to bed.

Stanton, good to learn you ended up on good terms with the guy.

But please keep in mind if you happen to go to another area similar to that one. One does not need to stop at every house on the road. Stop at one. Ask an innocuous question, such as: “My friend and I are going up on that forest land (or whatever it is) to hunt coyotes. does this road go there?”

This will likely lead to three or four minutes of conversation and that’s enough. They know why you’re there. They likely suppose that if you were out to steal that you certainly would not have stopped to talk.

Within a short time after you continue on your way probably everyone up that “holler” will know the story. This is not legally required; just a bit of common courtesy and common sense.

I’ve been in places like that doing genealogical research. A few branches of my family lived up hollers. I always looked for a house which appeared that the man of the family was home and stopped there. I’ve met some mighty nice folk that way and also had a few swigs of some good peach brandy.
Old February 8, 2010, 12:59 AM   #34
Lawyer Daggit

Clay I agree with you, basic manners go a long way, they can also lead to some excellent intel on where the game is.
Old February 8, 2010, 03:08 AM   #35
cloud8a

I do not care who you are or where you live. If you see suspicious activity, you call 911. You do not go half cocked hauling butt to create a road block and begin a confrontation or stand off. Possible thieves or hunters, you are looking to put both on the defensive, which is a road to tragedy either way.
In the moment, the OP handled the situation with what 1st came to his mind. Had he had a side arm there would possibly be some dead people over a stupid misunderstanding.
As far as notifying residents, the OP stated he was heading to or away from a Wildlife Management Area. The folks in that area should be well aware that their property in varying degrees butts up against or is near the WMA.
No, going and stopping by every house to see if they have hot APPLE PIE or COYOTE advice is not reasonable, as nice, American, and comforting as it may sound.
The OP went hunting on a WMA and does not have to notify or talk to zilch. TATTOO was a total fool for doing what he did. If TATTOO was suspicious he should have called the sheriff instead of putting himself in the position of being justifiably killed in self defense by hunters or himself committing murder because he thinks he stood up to some thieves.
I also have to say I thump my chest from time to time. What else is there to do when you are a balding Texas gorilla. This is not a chest thumping time. This was a time for calling the authorities not trying to be a bad ass.
Old February 8, 2010, 08:07 AM   #36
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
But please keep in mind if you happen to go to another area similar to that one. One does not need to stop at every house on the road. Stop at one. Ask an innocuous question, such as: “My friend and I are going up on that forest land (or whatever it is) to hunt coyotes. does this road go there?”
If you don't stop at every house, then you stand a good chance of missing the paranoid tattoo'd guy. You can't just extend the alleged common courtesy to one local and expect it to be a vaccination against all locals. That is just plain silly.

Quote:
Within a short time after you continue on your way probably everyone up that “holler” will know the story. This is not legally required; just a bit of common courtesy and common sense.
Commmon courtesy? Says who? Since when is it a common courtesy knock on folks door and lie to them? If you aren't lost, don't be knocking on peoples' doors and lying to them by asking diretions. That is what people who are scouting places to rob or burgle sometimes do.

So tell me again, why is it a common courtesy to have to stop at people's homes to let them know you will be in the area on public roads and hunting on public land? I fail to see the courtesy obligation of needing to check in with people who have no business needing to know what I am doing when I am not doing anything illegal, on their property, or unusual.
Old February 9, 2010, 04:24 PM   #37
Uncle Ben

Quote:
He said he'd done it to another guy too and scared him pretty good.
Nice! So he already almost ran someone off the road, blocked them and approached in an aggresive manor and scared 'em for the sake of "making an example" because there could be some chance that they were up to no good...yet he had no proof or even justification for believing they were up to no good. - BUT don't let that stop you from doing it again!!

Yeah, can't wait to go door-to-door and meet Tattoo, no doubt w/ a gun in his hand or pants.

Don't be too surprised if you go up there again in the future and see a memorial for Tattoo by the side of the road cause he couldn't learn his lesson.
Old February 9, 2010, 05:38 PM   #38
Hog Hunter

I had a scarry situation like that sitting at a red light. I had just stoped at the light when a car pulled up behind the car right beside me. Two guys jumped out that kinda looked sketchy. One run behind my truck and the other down the driver side. I imediatly grabed my pistol when i seen the guys jump out of the car. I was going to run the red light but there was a semi passing through. I held the pistol right at the bottom of the window on the driver side, they both run by my truck and went to beating on the car in the turning lane. Then i went to thinking "do i help these people?" After about 2-3 seconds of them beating on the windows they run back to their car laughing! Now i got a million things running through my head right now and adreanalin is through the roof.
After the light turned green i noticed that both cars had the same sticker in multiple places on their vehicels. I cant remember what they said but it had feet behind the words, like it was a game or something. Then the what if's went to running through my head. i was freaked out. I had to pull over for a minute and calm down!
Old February 9, 2010, 05:45 PM   #39
Bauer

Having not read any responses I would have probably been waving a large white flag before I started hunting and let them know what business you had in the area. Secondly, what the hell was the shirtless man thinking... I'm really curious as to what he would expect to happen if he pulled a gun on 2 men in a truck out in the woods after showing aggression like he did. What are the chances they have pistols of their own? I would say very very good.
Old February 9, 2010, 05:49 PM   #40
Hog Hunter

Yeah if ol dude keeps that up he will end up in a casket. If it would have been me in that situation I might have thought he was a craved crack head trying to rob someone "hints no shirt in the snow and all the tats". i would have drawn, he would have went to draw and been shot.
If he would have been that craved crack head you might have been screwed! Always carry, glad you didnt git hurt brother.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:16 PM   #41
rogelk

Tatoo's a dirt bag, I wouldn't give him the time of day from this time forward. He knows he lives off a public access road that leads to public hunting. He's got know business blockiing and intimidating anyone. stantonizm did the right thing, was cool and kept the peace when he was in no position to do anything else. It's a good lesson on how suddenly and unexpectedly things can happen....I'm sure stantonizm will reflect many times on that day...it'll make him keen to his surroundings...and that's not a bad thing at all.
Old February 10, 2010, 01:46 AM   #42
Balog

I find it astonishing how people will blame the victim for the blatantly criminal acts of another. When you chase, entrap, and threaten with a gun a man who's only crime is driving slowly on a paved public road you are a dangerous felon and should probably be incarcerated for a good long while.

As for the "going door to door" suggestion, not only is it absurd, it's dangerous. A lot of poor white trash in remote places like that (I speak from experience, having grown up in a set of double wides well down a dirt road far from any town) and PWT loves cooking meth and growing pot. Last time I accidentally stumbled on a meth lab out in the middle of nowhere it had what appeared to be home made land mines around it. I'm fairly certain strolling on up to the door of a meth lab, in the hopes that they'll tell their neighbors not to chase you down with a gun when you go driving away, is about the worst advice one could receive in this situation.

As for the OP, forget getting a gun out, forget trying to run away. As others have pointed out, the quickest and best way to incapacitate someone at the driver's side window is to have the truck in reverse, wheels cranked hard right, and run him over if he gets too frisky. I might crack the window a little to hear what he had to say, I might not depending on his demeanor. This occurred to me many years ago when I came close to getting jumped by some Aryan Nation types who objected to me kissing on my (Mexican) girlfriend at a red light. I was worried about getting away at the time; thinking about it afterward, I was ignoring the best weapon I had.
Old February 10, 2010, 04:42 AM   #43
rogelk

Agreed Balog...the notion of having to let locals know your intentions when it's a public place is as you say.. absurd. Next time, I'd go about my business, be respectful and be vigilant.
Old February 10, 2010, 05:30 AM   #44
youp

I think you did ok. I do not think I would have let him pull me over.

I know this is a gun forum, but...

Never forget you are sitting behind the wheel of a weapon far superior to any pistol. Any weapon is better than none, while the truck may lack muzzle velocity, it has mass in spades.
Old February 10, 2010, 07:16 AM   #45
FireForged

absent someone actually impacting my vehicle with theres, I am not going to stop. I dont mean to say i am going to flee at breakneck speed or endanger others but I am not going to stop. If I must stop, it will only be long enough to back up, go around, change direction or whatever else I can think of. I will call for help and do my best.
Old February 10, 2010, 07:33 AM   #46
CRUE CAB

I probably would not have let him by.
Out in a remote area, you just dont know peoples intentions.
His story about people stealing and "making an example" of you sounds like BS to me.
Sounds like he was looking for a fight, and realized he wasnt going to get it. Then backed off.
We have run into that type up in north Florida out on the atvs. It just best to leave them in the dust.
Old February 10, 2010, 07:45 AM   #47
silversimpson

Glad you made it through ok.

If I had a CCW on me, I would not have pulled it. If he was trying to rob you, he'd have gotten you out of the truck first and brandished the weapon, then you'd have known his intention.

Of course, it the road was considered a public road, you may not have had to stop in the first place.

Since he already had you stopped, and had a hand on his CCW, you were at a disadvantage. Pulling your weapon would have escalated the situation, and might got you confined to your truck's cab for a gun fight- not the best scenario.
Old February 10, 2010, 10:00 AM   #48
Blue Steel

I don't think you have any duty to stop and talk to anyone if you are travelling on public roads and hunting public land. Many people who live in rural areas do so because they don't want to be bothered, and this will seem like a really bad idea when you accidentally walk into someones meth lab.

I have no problem with your moving aside to let someone pass.

When they stopped and blocked the road things changed, and without a way to defend myself I would have either reversed to increase distance or continued ahead to escape the area. Who knows if Mr. Tattoo is a meth freak on a 4-day binge who thinks you are a federal agent...
Old February 10, 2010, 10:32 AM   #49
pax

Going to go ahead & put this one to bed, since it appears tempers are getting a bit frayed and since there doesn't honestly appear to be much else to say that hasn't been said already. No point going in circles.

I suspect we are seeing a difference in attitudes between city folks & country folks, but could be wrong.

In any case, good discussion. Thanks.

pax
Closed Thread