The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 11, 2015, 03:33 PM   #1
siloshooter

colt ar

the magpul one model 6920 . the vertical foregrip, fold down site etc. all black.
within driving distance of where i am located . all factory papers & box . nib

$900 private party .
i am considering it seriously . whata u think ? good price ?
Old May 11, 2015, 04:38 PM   #2
Tomac

Good price if actually NIB, but at least you can examine it before committing to buy.
Keep us posted!...
Tomac
Old May 11, 2015, 07:58 PM   #3
chris in va

That's about $100 off normal retail, so if it's truly NIB then a decent buy.

I can never figure out why people buy guns, never fire them then sell at a loss. Kinda raises a little red flag to be honest.
Old May 11, 2015, 09:23 PM   #4
halfcocked

I've seen them recently online new for $799 but you have shipping and transfer fee, so yours not a bad deal. Private transfer is nice too.
Old May 11, 2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Rmart30

Looked at one here locally last week .... $925 NIB
Old May 11, 2015, 10:35 PM   #6
9x19

Quote:
I can never figure out why people buy guns, never fire them then sell at a loss.
In the case of ARs... post Sandy Hook panic buys have put a few rifles back in the racks here.
Old May 13, 2015, 08:54 PM   #7
Sgt Pepper

If it looks good in person, don't think twice - just do it.
Old May 13, 2015, 09:58 PM   #8
GLK

Quote:
If it looks good in person, don't think twice - just do it.

What he said.
Old May 14, 2015, 03:20 PM   #9
siloshooter

finally ....

the guy who has the colt i am after has contacted me . its still available.

i am selling my stag arms model 1 . hopefully , it will be gone tonite or this week-end , have had good response on the ad for it.

in making the decision to get the colt and gaining info as good as i can , i have had varying opinions given to me .
one dealer , who is a compatent gun smith , said dpms makes colt rifles ..never heard that one before !

the other gun i have had interest in was winthom arms guns . have heard nothing but good about them .

at the last count , most people in the know seem to agree the colt series of guns are near the top inside & out . with the smaller parts a notch above whatever is behind it .
i figured i am paying more for just the colt name . but it should also mean it is a better investment in the long run

will post again as soon as the dust settles .
Old May 15, 2015, 04:51 AM   #10
Ibmikey

Your Stag will shoot just fine for the average shooter, they are quality rifles. The Colt will likely last forever even when run hard. You should avoid the shop that indicated Colt is made by DPMS they obviously are interested in sales and not integrity, after their comment I wonder how " competent" their smithing may be. I see your purchase as an investment of your cash, if you truly intend to shoot the beans out of the rifle I would do additional homework as there are several rifles that will withstand heavy firing abuse.
Old May 15, 2015, 08:38 PM   #11
ttheel

DPMS does NOT make Colt 6920's.
Old May 16, 2015, 09:40 PM   #12
siloshooter

picked up gun ....

this afternoon . it IS new & unfired , still has factory lube on it . all paperwork included also. $900 out the door .

will shoot it soon . nuttin but fun. the only small down side is that i dont see how to install the magpul grip on the gun . i started an other thread here to possibly answer this question.
Old May 17, 2015, 03:48 AM   #13
Ibmikey

Happy shooting with your new Colt AR, now you need to put a quick 3-400 rounds through it to get a true feeling on how's the rifle handles. Now that you are a Colt owner you will need to check out the 6720 for a light weight and then there is the 9mm which is a real hoot to fire and then maybe a heavy barrel and on and on and on......................
Old May 17, 2015, 06:08 AM   #14
Skeets
Member in memoriam

Congrats on your new Colt AR! Please let us know how it shoots for you.
Old May 17, 2015, 06:25 AM   #15
Moomooboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va View Post
That's about $100 off normal retail, so if it's truly NIB then a decent buy.

I can never figure out why people buy guns, never fire them then sell at a loss. Kinda raises a little red flag to be honest.
Some people just want them or buy multiple because they ant them. No red flag imo.

Also someone said they aaw it for 700. Thats non magpul edition
Old May 17, 2015, 03:54 PM   #16
4V50 Gary
Staff

Have fun with it.
Old May 17, 2015, 08:15 PM   #17
Machineguntony

That is absolutely not a good price. I have purchased Colt ARs as host guns, with the intention of abusing them, and you can get a brand new, in the box Colt for $799. $900 for a secondary private party seller is a rip off.

I was once guilt tripped into paying $1000 for a Colt SP1, and I felt like I needed a cold shower afterwards (the seller called me up after he had sold me his RDIAS and asked me nicely to buy the overpriced divorced Colt because he had given me a deal on the sear; being a nice guy, I couldn't say no).

The private party seller can claim that it is NIB, but there's no way to prove that it is unused and new.

Buds usually has deals on Colts.
Old May 18, 2015, 06:24 AM   #18
Moomooboo

I wouldnt call it a ripoff. Thats a far stretch. Even more if the seller doesnt know. A little less drama. Again this is the magpul edition.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:27 AM   #19
siloshooter

thanks moomoobo

machine guy IS a little out of bounds .

checked 4 area dealers b 4 i made the purchase . price range was from about $995 - $1095 for 3 of them , plus tax . the lone dealer that was the most reasonable got down to $950 , that was including the taxes . so i beat the best over the counter price by $50.

i cracked the gun open , looked down the barrel with a light and checked the bolt , carrier & all . if it wasnt new he fooled me !

i am 67 years old and have made a few firearms purchases in my day . i might have been born yesterday , but it wasnt at night .....
Old May 18, 2015, 11:03 PM   #20
Machineguntony

I intended no offense, Silo.

As long as you're happy and convinced you got a good deal, that's all that matters.

But if you ask for opinions, and you get a highly adverse opinion, please don't be offended.
Old May 19, 2015, 07:10 PM   #21
siloshooter

not offened machine ...

just thought i would say how i arrived at the price i got and let all know that i did , to a large extent , seek out a decent deal on the gun .

that thought stated , i believe i would be somewhat shocked to see a new or 98% colt m4 mp edition much below $850 or less .

i did check bud's and i dont remember what their price was , but i ruled it out . have also been on gun broker a good bit ...same story.

i hope to stop typing and get the gun out for a little dance the next few days.
Old May 19, 2015, 08:33 PM   #22
Old Stony

Take lots of ammo and some soda cans for targets, dirt clods and soda cans at 50 & 100 yards are a hoot to get dancing with a Colt Carbine. Nice groups on paper are well earned but the weapon was designed for rapid fire at moving targets which can become quite a challenge and turn a shooting session into an afternoon of fun to keep you smiling for days to come.
Old May 21, 2015, 02:19 PM   #23
IdahoG36

I just purchased a Colt 6920 OEM1 NIB for $700, and found new Colt take off handguards, stock, and sling for $50; and finally a new Colt removable A2 carry handle for $80. I ended up with a nice complete 6920 for $830.

The OEM1 and OEM2 kits are great because they only lack the handguards, stock, rear sight, sling, and magazine. Brand new take off furniture can be found all over for cheap.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:42 PM   #24
TheGunPunch

Congratulations on the new Colt, enjoy it

http://www.thegunpunch.com
Old May 22, 2015, 03:43 PM   #25
siloshooter

idaho got a buy ....

in that colt gun
i must confess .... in the stag i sold , to make a deal for the colt i had $0 in it . it was purchased new , but a lady friend i knew at the time sent me to the gun show with a blank check .
i did call her before i made the purchase and wrote the check , just to be sure but she ok'd it .
so when i tracked the colt down and end up purchasing it , i had right at $300 invested in it .
just lucked out . i wouldnt even ask my newest lady companion to agree to that .
you might say i wont push my luck !