The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 27, 2006, 08:42 PM   #1
Trip20

They were out of my ammo! I bought something else instead.

What's the deal with this round. A buddy sighted in his BAR yesterday with Fusions - he said it did real well. I'm sighting in tomorrow morning, so after work tonight I went to Gander Mountain to pick up my favorite Winchester Ballistic SilverTips in .270win, 130gr... but they were out.

I was lazy, in a rush, and had to get to the grociery for dinner. So I picked up 3 boxes of Fusion.

Am I going to be disappointed with this round? Normally I research the heck out of something before I buy, but I got this on a whim based on one good experience from a hunting/shooting friend.

What kind of performance have you gotten on deer (at what distances), and what kind of accuracy do you see on paper? Keep in mine this is for hunting and not benchrest competition - I don't need dime sized groups to be happy.

Old October 27, 2006, 08:51 PM   #2
SavageSniper

Don't knock it yet Trip. I have been trying to get some Fusion rounds. I too shoot .270, and have heard good things. The only bad press that I have heard is dealers are trying to sell it at premium price when it is supposed to be priced economical. Please let me know how they shoot for you. Thx
Old October 27, 2006, 08:59 PM   #3
Trip20

No sir, I won't knock it until I try it. And at around ~$7-$8/box cheaper than my other stuff, I'm actually pullin' for it.

I'll post a range report after tomorrow's outting. Hope to have good news.
Old October 27, 2006, 09:01 PM   #4
BIGR

Never tried the Fusions, but I have had great success deer hunting with the Federal Premiums (30.06) in the BAR MK II .
Old October 27, 2006, 09:36 PM   #5
stolivar

like them

I bought them in 308 and 7mm mag. I like them. good accuracy and all. Going to use them this year on dear.

stever
Old October 27, 2006, 10:24 PM   #6
Twycross

They were reasonably accurate for me. I haven't tried them on game, but I haven't heard any bad reports with regards to bullet performance.
Old October 28, 2006, 04:25 PM   #7
JKump

I am using them this year. I am using a 308 and the 180 grain fusion grouped better for me then the 150 grain Fusion and Winchester 150 grain Ballistic silvertips. I have not heard anything bad about them. I went out and also bought the 158 grain 357 mag for my handgun hunting. When I get results on animals I will post.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old October 28, 2006, 08:45 PM   #8
Trip20

Boy, was the range packed today...

Very cold and windy; I quickly gave up on sighting in (fine tuning) after getting frustrated with the wind. I did stick around to see if - between stronger gusts - this ammo and my rifle could produce a nice group. They seemed to like each other. One 3-shot group measured 5/8" center to center. I usually shoot 5-shot groups, but with the wind I wasn't going to push it. I won't know for sure until I get a calm day to really concentrate on sighting in instead of wind.

While I didn't get fully sighted in, I must say it was a good reminder to respect the wind... it can really toss that bullet around any way it wants, and the way it was swirling around I'm suprised I found paper at all. A friend and I had good fun taking turns judging wind gusts, and trying to outshoot one another (with othe rifles we brought along).

So, of course today was a fun day at the range, and this round seems to show some promise in the accuracy department. I'm now interested in hearing accounts of performance on game. I'll be searching the boards and 'net for some experience on game.

Last edited by Trip20; October 28, 2006 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Added pic of 3-shot group.
Old October 28, 2006, 08:49 PM   #9
solvability

I have heard the Fusions are accurate and reliable but not good for expansion on thin skinned game like Deer - they are plated and may be the ticket for Hogs.
Old October 28, 2006, 09:13 PM   #10
Fremmer

Quote:
One 3-shot group measured 5/8" center to center.
And that's better than just fine. For hunting, that is a heck of an accurate round in your rifle. Stick with it.

I've heard several good reports of the fusion when used for deer. It reportedly expands pretty well.
Old November 20, 2006, 11:39 AM   #11
Trip20

Well, I found out how it performed on game. Shot a doe late yesterday morning. I've passed up on a 4 point buck, and a small 6 point buck. It's early in the season, and I'm hoping for something a bit bigger.

I had a doe tag to fill, so I decided to feed the freezer. The (second) shot was ~150yds, and she ran about ~30yds after being hit. My first shot went right over her back.

Hey, we've all done it. Being up in the stand it looked a lot farther than ~150yds.

Anywho - the wound left a great blood trail. I could see her layin' in the field so I didn't need the trail to find her, but it's nice to know that with decent shot placement, this round created a wound that left a nice trail to follow.

I have a picture of inside the rib cage to show the entrance and exit wound. I'll link to it rather than post it in this message as some may think it's a bit nasty. Click here.

Went in the right side through a rib, through both lungs, and out the other side. So it penetrated well, but I couldn't find the bullet to see how it expanded or retained it's mass.

I know some guys like two holes, while others like one and for the bullet to remain inside. I've never really given that much thought, I just aim well and shoot. But considering that her trail shows two distinct trails of blood (one spouting out of the left side, and one out of the right), I'm thinking two holes is just fine with me.

Here she is in the garage. I hope to have another doe and a nice buck hanging there next to her by the end of next weekend.

Old November 20, 2006, 06:39 PM   #12
Fremmer

Looks like you found a new round for deer hunting! Nice doe. Looks almost exactly like the one I got on Saturday. Congrats!
Old November 20, 2006, 11:54 PM   #13
stolivar

liked mine

4 shots 4 deer with mine. none went over 10 yards.

steve
Old November 21, 2006, 01:33 PM   #14
FrontSight

Trip, I was just in WI last week, could tell right away from that tag you are in WI, and your profile confirmed....was hunting with Buffalo County Outfitters, great service! Tagged out on Does, but never did get a buck, dangnabbit. We were bowhunting tho, of course.

Congrats, good luck on the buck!
Old November 21, 2006, 07:35 PM   #15
hpg

Save me some backstrap......hpg
Old November 21, 2006, 09:07 PM   #16
Trip20

Fremmer - yeah I think you're right. Cheaper round, and performs well in both accuracy and wound/damage departments. We'll see what happens on the next two deer (two more tags to fill) and if all is well I'll probably switch to Fusions for good in this Remington 700.

stolivar - I'm assuming your using Fusion as well? They seemed to work well for you with the 4 shots 4 deer. Nice job.

Scrap5000 - glad you had a good time in WI. Sorry you couldn't fill the buck tag. But doe action is better than no action I guess. I have seen so many doe it's insane. And at $2 per extra doe tag, I could easily make a dent in the over-population of doe! I just can't put that much meat in the freezer.

I took the week off so I was in the stand for about 5 hrs today. Saw nothing at all but some turkey. I got out of my stand at about 4:30pm, about 20 minutes earlier than necessary. While walking towards the house I look back at the stand that is now about ~500yds behind me.

There are 4 deer, 3 of which are definitely doe, and one that I could sear was a buck only because it's neck looked enormously thick compared to the rest.

It was too dark to see antlers even through my scope and binoculars... but you can bet your butt I'll be in stand 'til the very last second tomorrow night.

hpg - bring the taters brutha!
Old November 23, 2006, 01:02 AM   #17
sils79

Fusions work

I posted this in another thread, but anyway, I took an elk from 125 yards with 140 grain fusion from my 280 last saturday, he managed to walk 30 yards before falling dead.

This is an economical round and the first round down my rifle gave me my first elk, I'm hooked, all I will hunt with from now on is fusion.
Old November 24, 2006, 10:59 AM   #18
JKump

Well the Fusion has worked REAL well for me. I took one deer with the 357 mag (a Taurus 4" Tracker) 158 grain Fusion and then took two more deer with the 308 (A NEF 308 single shot w/Nikon 4 x 32) with 180 grain Fusion. All three did not go 20 yards before they where down. No problems with this round at all.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".