The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 22, 2013, 06:49 PM   #1
BC07

Mossberg

I'm needing some info if anyone can help. A buddy of mine has a Mossberg 535 and it has an issue ejecting shells. Not all shells though, it will eject Remington 3 1/2 shells but won't eject Winchester 3 1/2. The only thing I noticed was that the Remington is just a little bit heavier than the Winchester.
Old October 22, 2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Dreaming100Straight

What do you mean it doesn't eject and specifically which Winchester shells do not work. I am guessing the problem may be he is using steel head promo shells like the 3" promo shells from WalMart that hang up in new Remington Express 870 pumps. He may need to polish his chamber with some fine steel wool.
Old November 11, 2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Blindstitch

Similar problem with a Mossberg 500 28 inch field barrel 2 3/4-3 chamber.

It won't eat high brass. I polished the cylinder and now it eats low brass even better but the high brass gets almost all the way in or gets all the way in and jams and won't extract. Same thing with the barrel off.

I have only tried winchester shells because I normally only use low cheap shells but I want high brass to work like it should.

I bought it new in the late 90's and it probably has just over 110 shells ran through it. Any way I can shave .001 of an inch or a hair more off the area where the high brass sits on the cheap.
Old November 11, 2013, 06:14 PM   #4
srtolly1

Re: Mossberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindstitch View Post
Similar problem with a Mossberg 500 28 inch field barrel 2 3/4-3 chamber.

It won't eat high brass. I polished the cylinder and now it eats low brass even better but the high brass gets almost all the way in or gets all the way in and jams and won't extract. Same thing with the barrel off.

I have only tried winchester shells because I normally only use low cheap shells but I want high brass to work like it should.

I bought it new in the late 90's and it probably has just over 110 shells ran through it. Any way I can shave .001 of an inch or a hair more off the area where the high brass sits on the cheap.
Shoot it more, I have a few thousand through my 500 and 835 and don't have any issues. Shoot what it cycles and check every couple hundred.
Old November 11, 2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Blindstitch

Quote:
Shoot it more, I have a few thousand through my 500 and 835 and don't have any issues. Shoot what it cycles and check every couple hundred.
That's the goal but it's not a muzzleloader and it would be nice to be able to remove the shells when i'm hunting. If I rack the shells hard most of the times they go in don't come out.

My dad has the same gun in 20 gauge and it eats everything without a problem.
Old November 12, 2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Blindstitch

Picked up some Remington High Brass and they feed and eject just fine. Go figure.
Old November 12, 2013, 04:18 PM   #7
BigD_in_FL

Brass height has nothing to do with it, nor does the power of the ammo - this is a pump gun. Sounds like there is either some burrs needing polishing or the extractor might have an issue with the shape of the rim
Old November 12, 2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Blindstitch

If that comment was meant for me I polished the cylinder and the winchester high brass shells pressed into the chamber by hand with the gun stood upright won't freely move in and out of the chamber. They need to be removed with a rod.

With the Remington High Brass shells I can push the shell all the way in with my finger with the barrel upright and when I remove my finger the shell falls back out.

Just that quick test shows that something is up with the Winchester shells if the Remington shells work fine.
Old November 12, 2013, 09:14 PM   #9
Dreaming100Straight

I shoot factory loads rarely and mainly low brass target 12 gauge. A lot of Gun Club and a lot of Winchester AA. It does seem to me that the AAs fit a little snugger than do the Gun Clubs, but I question that the slight difference in the OD of the brass is the problem.

It may just be that polishing isn't enough and that the chamber of this gun is just a bit tight. I had a buddy with a new 870 Wingmaster that was so tight it needed to be reamed out by a smith.

The issue is whether the chamber is so tight to interfere with extraction. I believe that Mossbergs have twin extractors or is that just the military model? Anyway have you checked them for wear?.

I would think that this is a problem that a smith could evaluate in minutes. It just may be that a tight chamber resulted in damaging the extractor and that it needs to be ream out and have the extractor(s) replaced.

Try this. Using new ammo, check it for any scratches or burs. There should be none. With the barrel removed, push it in with your finger as you described. Do so with a reference point on the head, such as the W in Winchester at the 12 o'clock position. Do not twist it when pushing in or out. Push it out and then carefully examine the brass for any marks that may have been made by a bur. Do this with a few shells. If they all have a similar scratch in the same place on the clock you should have an idea where to look for a bur.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; November 12, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old November 20, 2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Blindstitch

The marks on the Winchester high brass are all around the high brass section of the shell. Not isolated to one area.

But the Remington High Brass is knocking pheasants out of the air just like it should. And ejecting just fine.

Also found that Federal is good to go too.
Old November 20, 2013, 09:23 PM   #11
Dreaming100Straight

How old is the gun or the barrel, if the barrel is newer. If fairly new call Mossberg.

It is still possible that you simply have a tight chamber compared to specs and polishing is not enough. It may need to be reamed to spec.

BigD may have a point about the extractor or does it have two. Take a look at them.
Old November 21, 2013, 05:50 AM   #12
Blindstitch

The shotgun is 15-17 years old and the two extractors look fine. Replacements are dirt cheap too but not needed.