The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 16, 2012, 06:11 PM   #1
ottoblotto71

british jungle carbine finish

i have an enfield no. 5 jungle carbine i was thinking about refinishing. i guess originally they were oil-blackened[heated red hot and dipped in oil]. is there a finish i could put on that would look the same? i am a novice with little to no skills. does anybody oil-blacken? i want my gun to look authentic, im decent with wood, but never messed with the metal side of it. the metal fittings has a different finish than reciever or barrel, allmost painted. i think its a project i can tackle, but then again dont want to mess with the value of the gun either. thanks for any help or advice
Old February 17, 2012, 12:02 AM   #2
radom

Krylon rattle can or stove black. Its close to the original issue paint finish.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:51 AM   #3
Bill DeShivs

They were originall black enamel that was baked after application.
I would think twice, maybe 3 times about refinishing it. Have you seen the prices of original jungle carbines? Refinishing it will destroy any collector value.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:57 AM   #4
radom

Thats for sure on a original not messed with No-5. I still have a time getting used to these 35 buck rifles selling at what they do now but they do sell for some money today.
Old February 17, 2012, 01:24 AM   #5
ottoblotto71

yeah well just the price of living i suppose, like $6 CIGS AND $4 GAS. I bought my first gun an enfieild for $10 outa garage. my dad said the shells cost more than the gun . i went back and got a 22
Old February 17, 2012, 03:01 AM   #6
radom

First Enfield I had the guy wanted 5 bucks for and all I had was somthing like 3.75 and a few pennys he took it and it was a decent No-4*.
Old February 17, 2012, 05:50 AM   #7
CowTowner

I still have my first No.4 Mk1. Paid $35 for it. I don't see giving it up either.
I wouldn't mess with a true No.5 at all.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old February 17, 2012, 07:18 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

For a refinish contact Brian at BDL, he can replicate the Suncorite painted finish that was used on Enfields.

I wood keep it in original condition. Oil the wood and shoot it.

Brian refinished this scope mount on my No4(T). He well bead blast, Parkerize, then apply the Suncorite.