The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old January 2, 2009, 06:58 PM   #26
BradF

Republican, I can't give you any advice on a 22 Hornet load, but I thought I'd let you know you aren't the only one who takes a 6 year old hunting. My son started going with me last year when he was 5. I haven't let him shoot one yet. He watched me dress one last night. He just kept saying, "AWESOME"
Old January 7, 2009, 12:22 AM   #27
lcfd42

Hornets and Deer......

I am new to this forum and will probably be just stirring a hornets nest (no pun intended), but to any out there that tries to tell me that a .22 cal. bullet is not effective on deer sized game to take the argument up with the NATO countries who agreed that the 5.56 Nato round was acceptable for warfare and targeting man sized targets which by weight and mass are very similar to a Whitetail Deer, we just walk on two legs.
As for the harvest of deer with the 22 Hornet; I feel sure you could load a large P/U truck with the deer I have taken with the cartridge. This being said, I would load it with at least a minimum of a 45 gr. Barnes Triple Shock. I prefer the 53 gr. With the larger load the last deer that I took with the rifle was at about 50 yds. (no head shot was presented) The shot entered the chest just behind the point of the shoulder blade, breaking a rib on entry then penetrating the heart and both lungs, then even upon my suprise broke another rib on the opposing side just prior to exiting the deer. The reason I remember this so well is because I never had really though about the rounds' downrange trajectory after penetrating a deer. I was always kept safety in mind when setting up shots when scouting, so I would know where my bullet would go if I did miss. After this, even I was quite shocked by this performace.
As for accuracy, 1/2 M.O.A. is no problem with my T/C Encore. Would I try a shot over 100 yds. with this round?..... NO!!!! Could I head shoot one at that range with it? Sure.. If someone can't sit at a bench and fire a rife at less than 1 M.O.A.......... STAY AT HOME or BUY A FIREARM THAT WILL DO THIS!!!!, EVEN MOST CHEAP RILFES CAN DO THIS WITH VERY LITTLE WORK.
You do not need to be in the woods.
Would I suggest allowing a young child use this type of firearm for their first attempt at a harvest? No. He/She should be large enough to attend a hunter's safety course. This will reinforce the aspect of safety that should be taught by the parents prior to ever entering the woods. Also it helps the children to hear it from a different perspective or person. Some states require this prior to issuing hunting licenses to young hunters. The child should also be comfortable firing a weapon such as a 20 ga. shotgun or a rifle in .243 or 30/30. This goes back to the ethics thing, where the child learns proper shooting techniques, learns to accept mild recoil, and in the event of a slightly erred shot; the round does provide more kinetic energy for the slightly off center shot. I have no problem with a small child attending a larger game hunt, I can't help but feel a small child is just not ready to take game effectively at 5-6 yrs. old.
Please take your son/daughter rabbit hunting with a .410 or squirrel hunting with a .22 magnum. Give him/her the opportunity to show you his shooting skill and gun control before entering the deer woods. If you are not comfortable going on a walking hunt in such a configuration, you should consider this prior to handing him/her any deer rifle of any caliber. If you are not comfortable doing this then don't hand them a deer rifle.
You should encourage these skills and techniques... These young hunters are our future, don't inhibit their desire to hunt like Dad, but don't start them off with the wrong idea about hunting. Let's do all we can to preserve what rights we have left. Could you imaginge Nancy Pelosi standing in the H.R. talking about a 5/6 year old wielding a gun!!!!O.M.G.!!!!! I think you all get the point.

I appreciate the opportunity to post.
Rob

--- Just for informative purpose, a large portion of these deer were taken at night with permits from DNR, the herds were large and were destroying crops. OH! - I have changed to the .223 for the additional velocity, energy and larger bullets.
Old January 8, 2009, 11:39 AM   #28
Demaiter

The fact of the matter is that although it is legal the only selection of bullets available for the twists that .22 hornets rounds come in are for varmints.

If it was a .223 it would be a different story. There are bullets designed to take medium game in these calibers however most of us would step it up to something of some 6mm type... Federal offers the Barnes triple shock and partition and rate them as medium game rounds in .223

It is great that your taking her out hunting, but it is your responsibility to give her something that has enough power and a good enough bullet to properly do the job. Perhaps you never realized proper bullet selection was lacking, who knows...

I know you said you'd have a gun yourself to be ready to finish the job if the need be, but after the shot that deer my be high tailing it out of there and then you'll be required to make a running shot, it may go straight away presenting you with an up the bumb shot, who knows...

In the hands of an experienced shooter though I would have faith in the .22 hornet... however an experienced shooter and ethical one should choose something with more umph for standard body shots.

If head shots are the norm, hell you could use a .22 short at close range... or a very powerful pellet gun aiming for the eye right into the brain but these shots would be hard and hence most of us prefer a neck or more so the chest shot where you need some extra power to penetrate.

Last edited by Demaiter; January 8, 2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old January 9, 2009, 12:42 AM   #29
lcfd42

That's what I'm saying!

Demater,
You hit it exactly.
As for the hornet round its self, if the rifle is a 14:1 you are right about the bullets. My T/C is a 12:1 an spits the 53's with no problem. I did note keyholeing with the 60 Nosler Parts, therefore I have learned the rifles limit there. Don't forget as well that older hornets have bullet diameters of .223 rather than the modern .224 of todays rounds. Anyone reloading an older rifle should be aware of this.
Just out of curiosity and a little time on my hands, I loaded a few for my hornet for some testing.

1st shot - penetrated 5 yellow pine 2x6s at 50 yds spaced at 1 1/2" apart
2nd - full penetration at 60yds
3rd - full penetration of 4 with marginal penetration of the 5th at 75yds.
4th - full penetration of 3 with bullet protruding out back of 4th at 100yds.
(4th shot bullet wt ret. 40 of 45gr.) Not bad for a Hornet Huh?
Load used - Fed sm rif primer
winchester brass (trimmed)
45g Barnes Triple Shock
12.5 g LilGun (Compressed Load)
C.O.L. - 1.850
Fired From - T/C Encore .22 Hornet 1:12Tw 3-9 x 40 Nikon Monarch

Shoot em' If ya' got em'
Rob
Old January 10, 2009, 01:18 AM   #30
butta9999

As i said before in my previous posts the hornet is a great varmint rifle, accuracy can disappoint sometimes. I have seen the hornet in action trying to take small goats which weigh about 60-90lbs. Success not great.

Why use minimum calibers on game like others said the animal has a right to die quick with respect. Not with a fluke between the ribs shot or a clean eyeball shot.

People might say yes adequate for deer i say no. There is not enough energy.

To you Republican i have given some load data and constructive info i hope.

Not trying to have a crack at you just an opinion
Old January 6, 2010, 07:31 AM   #31
The Big Boo

To Republican

How did your daughter's hunt turn out?

You are to be commended on raising your daughter to love the outdoors and hunting. Also for teaching her gunmanship and starting her out right with light loads. May she always benefit from the example you are demonstrating for her.

As for the loudmouths who seem to express concern about your choices for your daughter, they simply like to show their ignorance of the way to raise children and the choice of weaponary. Perhaps they, not caring, never understood the source and meaning of the gem "10 grains properly placed".

6 is a great age to start the kids out. I started out three boys that way, even a bit sooner. They shot at six (blackpowder, loaded down, round ball). And at 8 were taking deer (properly surpervised). Today they are great hunters and proper woodsmen.

I have a gandaughter at 1 years of age who has seen her dad bring in the venison (bow and blackpowder) and most recently stood watching my sons skin out a doe I shot at our WV cabin with the family there celebrating Thanksgiving. She stood watching, perfectly happy and was petting the doe's head.

It simply doesnt get better than that.

So for all the Dads and Moms out there, ignore the louts, raise your children how you think best, and take them out hunting early and often. Thank God we can still do that (for now) in America.

The Big Boo
Old January 6, 2010, 10:33 AM   #32
MADISON

.22 Hornet deer loads

I would stick with 45 grain bullets and go for head shots.
A 55 grainer and heavier probably will not fit in the magazine or stabalize.
Old January 6, 2010, 11:18 AM   #33
Magnum Wheel Man

big time Hornet guy here...

to answer the question... depending on the rifling twist, ( normally 1 in 12" or 1 in 14" ) 40-45 grains is about all the weight the Hornet can stabilize reliably at the velocities they run ( heavier bullets go even slower )... within that range, the Serria Game King or the Barnes Solid would be the only "appropriate" bullets that I know of...

I have both a custom revolver, & finishing up a custom build on a new all weather Ruger 77 22 Hornet that have custom fast twist barrels ( 1 in 9" ) & I'm currently stabilizing 68 grain bullets with the 6" revolver, expect the rifle will shoot them nicely

( I ) wouldn't endorse deer hunting with a 22 Hornet, but deer vary alot in size in this big country... in my area ( with big deer ) I personally would'nt use anything smaller than a 357 magnum, & would rather see a young person shooting a rifle in at least that caliber... however, in some areas the deer are quite small, & if I were shooting 75 lb deer ??? in my state, & with larger deer, ( & with their limitless wisdom ) any center fire cartridge at least 22 caliber is legal... been thinking about hunting next year with my baby Colt in 25 acp

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; January 6, 2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old January 6, 2010, 07:00 PM   #34
1chig

take that 6 year old hunting that is great, enjoy yourselves. But please let her pack a little bigger gun. Not saying that a hornet wont kill a deer, because it will very easily ,,,,in experenced hands but it is not for the young 6 year old. I think it is great you taking her hunting.....
Old January 7, 2010, 02:05 AM   #35
HiBC

There are two really distictly different issues here.I donot claim my opinion isworth any more than anyone else's.You may disagree with me.Fair enough?

I raised a daughter,with guns,and now I have two grandchildren and a grey beard .They are doing very well.

When my daughter was about this age,right or wrong,we were walking,and I had my .22.A jackrabbit took off,then stopped.I head shot him.Skull spattered,eyeball popped out.

I took her up to it,and I explained"This is what a gun does.It can do it to you,your mommy,me,your friends" It was my version of "Eddie Eagle".

I do not claim it was perfect.

This daughter,you see,we had to deal with a depression brought on by the death of her dear cat.There were some other things that gave her terrible nightmares(They atually came from a church youth group that put her in a cage and told her she would burn in hell for not bringing money))

We have to be a little bit careful about a 6 year old child's perceptions,memories,and thoughts.

We have to be a little bit careful about trying to turn our children into extensions of our own egos,so we have stories to tell.

Maybe,this little girl will be a woman like Sarah Palin that loves to shoot moose,and maybe it will all be good.Great!!!
Maybe,like my daughter,she will love to shoot,but maybe she will choose to not want to kill an animal.I love my daughter,and I hunt,and its OK if she doesn't want to hunt.It is also OK if she votes differently than I do.I raised her to be an individual,to be who she is,even if it does not gratify me.

I am not so sure,at 6 years old,a child can make their own decision about whether or not they are ready to kill a deer,and I'm not so sure they have the power to communicate their choice.

In my opinion,which may not be right for you,the hunt is better reserved for that transition from being a child,to being accepted into the world of adults,as a young adult.I think maybe the native Americans and other tribal folks saw it the same way.I am a young man/woman,so I may go on the buffalo hunt.

Enough on that.

If you will take a young child hunting,please do not set them up to see a semi-succesful kill.How many of you have heard of someone being turned off from hunting for life because the first rabbit they shot sounded like a predator call?

Don't do that to a child.!!

The child,likely,at this point,really is not foaming at the mouth to make a kill.They may love being with DAD doing something special,but that "Something special " can be from the child's point of view.

I really do not care for cats.Not my thing.I see a feral cat,pheasant hunting,I kill it.My daughter loves them. When my daughter was about 7,I took her to Denver to a cat show.See,that is maybe a reverse equivalent.For the kid,the cat show was maybe more special than whacking a deer.Except for my kids enjoyment,it was not an event for me.It was for her.There is a love thing there.

Now,the 22 hornet,we have not heard from the OP.Maybe it was a clean,one shot kill and a wonderful experience.I truly hope so.

Hitting a prairie dog at 300 yds is no big deal for me,and I would not choose a .22 hornet to shoot deer with.Maybe a 25-20 with a wheelweight bullet,but not a hornet.Penetration!

It can be done with a .22 short.Sometimes.Butcher cattle are dropped with a .22 all the time.

But,myself,boy or girl,untill it is their idea,"Dad,I want to shoot a deer"

And,likely till they are 13 or 14 (14 is minimum fir big game in Colorado)

And untill they can handle the vicious recoil of a .250 savage or a 7.62x39 or some other dangerous game stopping rifle,doggone,a picnic with DAD is just as special.
Make it about HER experience,and not so much about what will be great for DAD.

IMHO,it is a very,very rare 6 year old girl who wants the experience of shooting and killing a deer.They are more into Bambi and making oatmeal cookies in a dutch oven and looking at deer.

maybe.at 14,as a young Roller Derby Queen,she will want to make venison.Or,not,let her be who she is.

Last edited by HiBC; January 7, 2010 at 02:12 AM.
Old January 9, 2010, 10:02 AM   #36
N.H. Yankee

While I don't recommend a 22 hornet, I knew a guy who killed MANY N.H. and Vermont whitetails with a 218 Bee, but the bee is slightly more potent than the Hornet also. He always took neck shots, he did have a couple that he lost, but he took plenty with it. I think finding a bullet that will penetrate and expand may be a challenge. Marksmanship would be paramount and I honestly would wait until your child can handle a 223 and a 243 being a better option.
Old January 9, 2010, 12:59 PM   #37
rogn

It sound as though your daughter is OK with the concept of the hunt and is willing to participate. The major issue is the use of a at best marginal caliber by an innexperienced participant. The suggestion of a more potent combination of a .223 or a .357 carbine( I think you mentioned a single shot break action) with heavier game purpose bullets will be good insurance to avoid a potential debacle of lost deer due to,marginal termnal performance--Remember everyone is trying to come up with a load that probably does not exist due to low power potential and too light for purpose bullets. Chances for less than perfect bullet placement for younger shooter are to great. A light unstable bullet in shoulder blde or humerus might not get into chest cavity. Probably more deer lost to "neck shot" than actually recovered. We know respondents can kill them that way because they have and told us so--but a lot of neck shots dont show effect and run off to die late secondary to infection. If you can get a barrel or borrow one of these heavier duty arms-still low recoil- the potential for succesful hunt will increase tremendously. Starting kids intro to firearms and working on respect for them cant hardly start too early.
Old January 9, 2010, 03:25 PM   #38
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I am new to this forum and will probably be just stirring a hornets nest (no pun intended), but to any out there that tries to tell me that a .22 cal. bullet is not effective on deer sized game to take the argument up with the NATO countries who agreed that the 5.56 Nato round was acceptable for warfare and targeting man sized targets which by weight and mass are very similar to a Whitetail Deer, we just walk on two legs.
NATO countries must agree to shoot-to-wound. Battle cartridges are chosen, with that requirement as a consideration. As such, your entire argument is void.

This is not the place to argue about whether you feel it is ethical, or not.
If you want to argue, go to "The Hunt" or "The Art of the Rifle".

This is the reloading forum. He asked for load data.
Old January 10, 2010, 12:45 AM   #39
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day, I realise it is 12 months after the OP. It has been interesting to read the various comments. Lots of opinions, not a lot of data. So I hope this will help.

Sierra 55 gr. SPT #1360, 55 gr. SMP #1350, 55 gr. Blitz #1345
Hunting Load: IMR-4227/ 11.2grs. 2400fps/ 703ft. lbs.

50 gr. SPT #1330, 50 gr. SMP #1320, 50 gr. Blitz #1340
Hunting Load: 296/ 10.3grs. 2500fps/ 763ft. lbs.

Please note that these are the same projectiles that can be used in a .223.

As for ethics or parenting that is often the subject of other posts.
Old January 10, 2010, 06:13 AM   #40
Bud Helms

Quote:
NATO countries must agree to shoot-to-wound.
A little off topic, but that implies intent ... correction, it states clear intent. 'Can't say as I agree with the NATO intent to "shoot-to-wound". It recognizes the possibility and tolerates it, but does not require it.

Where did you hear this?
Old January 10, 2010, 08:18 AM   #41
SL1

Comparing a deer's physiological response

to that of a soldier on the battlefield is ridiculous. Deer will most likely start running much faster than a (very healthy) man can, and will head for dense cover if there is any. That makes them much harder to find than a wounded soldier who either stays down or gets attention from a whole crew of people.

And, the Army has been looking at several "more lethal" rounds like the 6.8 SPC exactly because the .233 is not taking too many enemy humans out of the fight fast enough. Not only do they not run when hit, they keep shooting back.

Maybe if we thought about giving the deer an opportunity to SHOOT BACK instead of just run off, we would be inclined to pick more effective cartridges to engage them?

SL1

Last edited by SL1; January 10, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old January 10, 2010, 09:00 AM   #42
Randy 1911

Just another state (Arkansas) to allow "any centerfire 22 rifle". I went deer hunting this year with a 223 rem. loaded with a Hornady V-Max 60 gr.bullet. I am sure it would have dropped any deer that i was likely to see. My luck I didn't see a deer.

I think it is great to start them out young. I took my young niece shooting earlier this year. It would have been much sooner if her Mom would have allowed it. She was thrilled at the chance to go. She loved popping ballons.
Old January 10, 2010, 09:45 AM   #43
Jack Hester

Parker (P.O.) Ackley was a big advocate for hunting with .22's, of all cartridges. His way of thinking was that one should learn what it takes to bring down the game, with the minimal of effort. This is assuming that all hunters would study their game before going into the woods, etc.. In reality, few hunters study their game, and spend more time studying catalogs, for the latest in hunting gear.

Squirrels were all that I ever hunted, growing up. Because I didn't have anything more than a J.C. Higgins bolt-action .22. And later, a Remington Nylon 66. Still have them both. Never took an interest in deer hunting. But, I studied squirrels with a passion. I have a .22 Hornet, nowadays, and would not be afraid to attempt bringing down a deer. But, varmints and squirrels are all that interest me, still.

Fine business, starting her out on a Hornet. Regardless of what you choose to hunt. Teaches them to be good with a little, so that they can be equally as good with whatever they grow into.

Jack

P.S. - I have any number of large calibers, rifle or otherwise. Mostly, I punch paper or golf balls with them.
Old January 10, 2010, 11:00 AM   #44
Bud Helms

I've never read that he was a big advocate of it. I do know that he wasn't in favor of prohibiting .22 caliber from hunting because he was a believer in shot placement and knowing your limitations in the field.
Old January 10, 2010, 11:11 AM   #45
petemo

Where is your head??

Why would you put a dangerous weapon in the hands of a child who is barely out of diapers not to mention that a Hornet would only be adequate for deer in the hands of a skilled marksman. I am hoping your post was a joke just top see what the response would be.
Old January 10, 2010, 01:40 PM   #46
Jack Hester

My Daddy carried me squirrel hunting, before I was even in grammar school. He had to help me hold the J.C. Higgins, and cock it for me. This was from a man who had absolutely no interest in hunting. He taught me gun safety, and very few years later allowed me to hunt by myself.

It's all in the manner of how a child is brought up. I had to demostrate that I knew where all the houses were around us, by pointing the direction to each. And, I could only shoot up into the trees. He refused to buy me a BB gun, because I may have been tempted to shoot it at something that I shouldn't have. He was confident that I was responsible enough to shoot the .22 only where I should. I was, as I didn't want to lose my privileges. On a number of occasions, I quit hunting with other kids who wouldn't abide by what I was taught.

Quote:
Why would you put a dangerous weapon in the hands of a child who is barely out of diapers not to mention that a Hornet would only be adequate for deer in the hands of a skilled marksman.
For the same reason you trust them to use a dangerous lawn mower, or dangerous power tools. You teach them by example, many times. Then, let them demonstrate proficiency, before allowing them to do for themselves.

Jack
Old January 10, 2010, 03:18 PM   #47
FrankenMauser

Quote:
A little off topic, but that implies intent ... correction, it states clear intent. 'Can't say as I agree with the NATO intent to "shoot-to-wound". It recognizes the possibility and tolerates it, but does not require it.

Where did you hear this?
I believe the book's title was, The Law of War.

Can't tell you what section. I read it a few years ago.

A section of the book discusses actively shooting to kill, being considered a war crime. It ties into the requirement of FMJ ammunition, and the ballistics limitations governed by NATO. (Not that the U.S. cares.... we rarely ratify treaties that might limit our capabilities or choices during wars.)

The interpretation in the book is that, NATO essentially believes that no soldier should ever die to a centerfire cartridge. (Yet, loves bombs, missles, rockets, grenades, and other explosives...)
Old January 11, 2010, 09:22 AM   #48
Sidewinder72

I agree with what most has said. I think all kids should get the oppertunity to shoot. The hunter owes the animal a quick death. I don't think a follow up shot is likely at a wounded deer. It is all about ETHICS.
Old September 7, 2010, 10:58 PM   #49
Rastas

.22 hornet will work fine

I have no problem with the hornet for deer. I has more penetration than most folks think with the proper bullet. I have used Sierra 50 grn semi point #1320 with great results. I even shot one spike buck that was quartering towards me at 80 yards. I took this shot to see how much penetration this bullet actually had as I know it to be a through and through from broadside. I shot the deer just inside its left shoulder, lung high, the bullet crossed through both lungs, ended up busting the last rib on its right side and the bullet sat just under the hide there, a beautiful classic mushroom.
Just so ya know, I always take lung shots with the hornet, as some others have said, they will sometimes run a bit farther than a deer shot through the lungs with larger harder hitting bullets. But a lung shot deer with the hornet will leave a decent blood trail as it blows blood out with every breath. And you will find your deer there just as dead as one hit with some more powerful cartridge. You don't have claim to have 1/4 minute accuracy rifle and try for a neck or head shot. Those kind of shots will lead to wounded deer that will run off and maybe die days later if shot placement is not precise. And trust me, all you folks who suggested the head or neck shots, this is for a young gril who I am sure is not that precise of a shot, and I suspect a lot of folks who posted on this are probably not that precise of a shot themselves under hunting situations
Old September 8, 2010, 05:33 AM   #50
DANNY-L

I've taken several deer with the 45gr hornet sp all lung shots,and if im just out sitting all of them dropped on the spot I couldnt believe it at first,the wife used it for a couple of yrs also and took 1 dropped on the spot with a lung shot,the only thing I disliked was that after the deer has been hanging awhile it shows lots of bloodshot ,so I started trimming around the entrance hole a little.I process my own deer so they may hanh several days during our later season here in upstate ny. I tried loading up 55gr bullets but couldnt get them to stableize(keyholed all of them) rifle is a NEF handi. In the case I hit running deer be pushed and I got it in the lungs I gave it about 30min. and found the deer 100yds or less.
Closed Thread