The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 6, 2009, 07:02 PM   #1
choppergreg74

Bore butter question

I use it all the time on my cap and ball revolvers, obviously not on my cartridge conversions. However I just got one of those NA Arms 22 mini black powder revolvers. Should I use it with this revolver also?
Old January 6, 2009, 07:13 PM   #2
Hoss Fly

If it shoots BP YES
Old January 6, 2009, 08:43 PM   #3
choppergreg74

No it is made to shoot bulseye smokeless. Should Inot
Old January 9, 2009, 02:09 AM   #4
freedom475

[quote]No it is made to shoot bulseye smokeless. Should Inot[quote]

I wouldn't shoot BP in the pistol made for bulls-eye. It would probly sieze-up in just couple shots.

The BoreButter will work fine for lube but you should probly thicken it some with bee's wax in order to prevent powder contamination...as I'm sure the charge must be a Small one.

How do you like the little gun? I have two of them...1 22 mag/LR and 1 22short....I really like them. Had a 17HMR but the bullets would tumble and it was way to loud!

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old January 9, 2009, 10:38 AM   #5
choppergreg74

I have shot thegun about a dozen times without bore butter with no chain firing. However I dont think I will continue to do that. I only use the bullseye. I really love the gun. The only draw back is that cci caps dont seem to fit right, and hinder the rotation of the cylinder. However Remington caps work great. In fact that is my cap of choice and that is all I use now. The gun is a blast. I have 2 acres of land in the mountians behind my vacation home. I am able to shoot on my property with this gun. I also take it with me when I go hiking. I left it loaded for a couple of days and then went out back and fired it off. I had no problems. It fired great every time. This gun is well worth evry penny.
Old January 9, 2009, 08:28 PM   #6
freedom475

I suppose lube here would be to reduce leading from the little Pure Lead boolits over a super hot, fast powder like Bulls-eye...A chain fire from smokeless and a tight fitting boolit will be Very unlikely. Loose fitting caps will cause a chain fire way before a lubeless cylinder will.

Glad to here you have some property where you can shoot all you want.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."