The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 14, 2001, 09:25 PM   #1
farranger

Dissasemble colt pocketlite

Bought my wife a colt pocketlite, in .380, holds seven rounds, single action. How do I disassemble this to clean it? any help appreciated as I know nothing of .45's or 1911's, which my guess is this might be similar to, since it looks like a mini 1911. thanks for any help kyle
Old September 15, 2001, 08:01 PM   #2
johnwill

Is this a Mustang, Govt. Model, or a Pony? They all basically disassemble the same way, pull the slide back to align the notch with the slide release, push out the slide release and it'll fall apart in your hands.
Old September 15, 2001, 08:50 PM   #3
FPrice

Farranger....

Johnwill is essentially right, but I have a question and a few additional comments.

First, is this single-action or double-action? If it is single, it is a Mustang, but if it is a Pony, then it is actually DAO.

I just bought a Pony PocketLite from a dealer who used to work for Colt, in fact he helped develop this pistol, and he taught me the correct way to dissassemble/assemble it.

You first remove the magazine and check for any chambered rounds (DUH! I knew you knew this, but old safety habits die hard). Then rack the slide back until the slide-stop cutout on the slide lines up with the slide stop (I am doing this from memory so I hope I am using the correct terms). Hold the pistol in your right hand in this position (by placing the pistol in the palm of your right hand and curling the fingers over the top of the slide), and reach under the pistol with your left hand to pop out the slide stop from the right side of the slide (to avoid scratching the finish).

On a new pistol, the barrel is a bit hard to take out of the slide so he advised to tap on the end of the barrel with a plastic or rubber mallet to dislodge it.

You then clean it, and place a small amount of oil or lubricant at the front of the rails and the top of the guides at the rear of the frame. Reassemble in reverse order and insure that the guide rod is not sticking out too much or the barrel and spring may not be assembled correctly.

I hope this is clear, if not, let me know and I will try to do better.

Hope your wife likes her new pistol.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Old September 16, 2001, 11:06 AM   #4
sw627pc

And just to confuse the issue a bit further, Colt also made the Gov't Model .380 in a pocketlite version, and it is slightly different in that it has a barrel bushing, ala 1911 while the Mustang and Pony don't. But the basic disassembly is the same, align the notch and push out the slide stop, then take everything else off the top of the gun.

Reassembly can be tricky if you get the disconnector lever in the wrong position though.
Old September 16, 2001, 05:44 PM   #5
johnwill

I forgot to mention the disconnector lever! I really shouldn't forget that, since it got me the first time I took my first Mustang apart!