The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 6, 2004, 10:38 AM   #1
rustylp

my ideas for competition

Hi my name is rusty and i've been shooting guns all my life. im think about trying somthing new just dont know how well it would work. my brother brought me some golf balls that were bright green or yellow i would like to start the first golf ball shooting competition.
Old October 9, 2004, 10:14 AM   #2
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Well, the bad news is that there's nothing new about shooting golf balls.

The good news is that it's a lot of fun. Just make sure your backstop is up to it. A lot of people like to "chase" the balls on the ground, but that requires shooting into the ground, usually well in front of the berm. You need a lot of backspace to do that safely because ricochet is risky.
Old October 18, 2004, 02:32 AM   #3
xmastree

Quote:
The good news is that it's a lot of fun.
What do you shoot at them with, and from what distance?
Old October 28, 2004, 01:50 AM   #4
rustylp

Im shooting the with a .243 savage 110

I would say im shooting the bright golf balls that were placed on t's at about 80 to 90 large strides or paces away or u could say about 50 to 60 yrds, im using hodgens h 414 powder in my reloads. 43grs with what is consitered a 80gr varmit load made by nosler, their bolistic tips with plastic for the tip of the bullet. they are probaby the best that money can buy, they blow up right away leaving nothing but a peace of the boat tail behind. im using a 3 x 9 , 32mm sports view scope by bussnell and im using cci 200 primers, its a great combo with the sports view scope i dont have to see to much other than the target. I hit on the line inbetween the 9 and 10 mostly in the 10 on a 3 inch in diameter shoot and see target at about a 150yrds, a sports shooter cant get a better feeling than seeing that the 3" target has a bulls eye in it after he or she walks the same distance to go check it out not know how close it was its hard to see that far ahead but with a good set of simmons you can see about any where. ps im shooting into a valley
Old October 28, 2004, 03:35 AM   #5
xmastree

Ever tried with a pistol? Most of our members just shoot pistols, me included. Not much call for rifles here, especially the hunting kind.

M16s, sure, but not the smaller stuff.
Old October 28, 2004, 12:22 PM   #6
rustylp

yes i do

I ve had some practics with a 44mag desert eagle and a 45 colt also a 9mm I have tryed to shoot hand guns for a while, off and on, ive shot a 357mag and a 454 or 450 somthing like that not sure but trust me hand guns dont get to much larger that the one im talking about. i dont have any use for a hand gun just not to practical for me :barf: , i do think my favorit is a u.s. army 45 with the clip on the handle for the belt, its to hold your gun on your side anyways i would suggest u get a good rifle and sell your hand guns m16 .223 is one hell of a rifle but its only open sight factory and its hard to shoot small targets at that range with the naked eyes, i do believe its possible to put a scope on one. (my friend practice make perfection)
Old October 28, 2004, 02:56 PM   #7
LdyAtavist

The gentleman who leases our club the range is 88 years old and is a top notch golf ball shooter with his old .38 service revolver. He can toss a golf ball up in the air, and then draw and fire with the same hand he tossed it up with, and he never misses. He says he had to switch back to shooting golf balls in his old age because his eyesight was getting too bad to shoot moth balls out of the air.
Old October 30, 2004, 01:12 AM   #8
rustylp

well thats too cool

How that guy did that the world may never know . i think he must have had one good eye, probably his left eye. anyhoot this is very impressive, my dad showed me the a thing or two about shooting. but only with a shot gun , i will learn and when im good enough i will pass it on to others because knowledge is power. Its easy to memorize what some one is telling you to do. but to apply it is somthing the shooter has to do on his or her own. so in other words only the shooter can make the differance. people should share as much about this incrediable shooting as possible, Practices makes perfection
Old November 2, 2004, 04:04 PM   #9
AJ Peacock

Be careful

Don't shoot the golf balls on the ground with a .22

I've seen serious ricochet's from them.

AJ
Old November 10, 2004, 11:35 PM   #10
rustylp

sold the .243

got a .308 and a 50mm scope sighting it in tommorrow if i dont get rained on