The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 28, 2011, 10:14 AM   #76
Patriot86

Quote:
secret/hidden gun room

Mr. Blue IS MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first thing I design when I build my first house is going to be what will be called "Daddy's Secret Room" basically my secret gun/security room.

Secret rooms FTW man...

On a side note, my wife to be was raised in rural Ohio but oddly enough her family is not filled with gun enthusiests. She used to be borderline "afraid' or "creeped out" whenever she saw me handling my P226, I took the time to explain how it works, how to insure it is safe, etc now she feels comfortable when I walk around the home with my 226 holstered or when I "play with my gun".

PS: Whenever I dry fire there is NO magazine present in the firearm and I clear it three(Call me OCD) times before dry firing. If the firearm leaves my hand I would clear it three more before dry firing again.

Last edited by Patriot86; June 28, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old June 28, 2011, 04:56 PM   #77
TylerD45ACP

No you are not nuts. I sometimes do the same thing with snap caps.
Old June 28, 2011, 09:39 PM   #78
FM12

I do it because I like it. No weird looks from the wife either. Did it last night while watching the cws. Go Gamecocks!!
Old June 28, 2011, 09:50 PM   #79
IMTHDUKE

So, what's wrong with that?
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old June 28, 2011, 10:01 PM   #80
Catfishman

Quote:
Am I A Nut?

YES! Either that, or you're just ignorant. Why would you do something that makes your family nervous and uncomfortable? Practice dry firing when you are out of the house, alone.
I don't think you're nut. But this is rude behavior.

Would you be comfortable with a guy endlessly dry firing a handgun in your presence? Put yourself in your wife and mother's shoes.

And you could have an accident. You think you couldn't, but so did everyone who ever has.

Your behavior isn't terrible but it isn't very considerate.
Old June 28, 2011, 11:21 PM   #81
JIMSPD9

Just be carefull

The retired Police Chief of an agency that will go unnamed started as a dispatcher trainee.

He was cleaning a S&W mod 10 that was assigned to the dispatch office, and was dry firing it at the bullentin board. The phone rang, and after finishing the call, he picked up the pistol and shot a hole in the wall.

The 158 grain bullet went into the Lt's office through another wall, into the Sgt's office. It struck the corner of a file cabinet, bounced up stricking the veneitian blind and fell to the floor. Luckily the offices were not occupied.

He swore he didn't remember loading the weapon. You might not either and big screen TVs cost a lot of money.

JIM S.
Old June 28, 2011, 11:31 PM   #82
TylerD45ACP

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your concern. However I know when my gun is loaded and when it is not. I am constantly checking it when messing around with the snap caps. I would not fire a live round. I even keep a loaded mag close by because I dont want to be caught with my pants down if something happend. I am very careful with firearms constantly checking the chamber.
Old June 29, 2011, 02:42 AM   #83
MLeake

Taking the gun, as gun, out of the equation...

If I had people in the room, watching TV, talking, etc, I would NOT endlessly click a ball-point pen. Most people would find it annoying. Click. Click. Click. Click. Ad infinitum.

Guess what dry firing sounds like?

Just based on noise nuisance, I wouldn't do this with others in the room.

Now, bearing in mind that it is a gun, you might have to add in a different level of discomfort.

If it annoys or bothers your family, and you persist, yes there is something wrong.

If it really doesn't annoy, irritate, alarm, perturb, etc, then just be careful.
Old June 29, 2011, 12:18 PM   #84
TylerD45ACP

I try not to do it with a bunch of people around. I live alone for the most part so can undisturbed. I understand your point thought I wouldnt pull it out and practice snap caps with my family over. That would defintley be annoying and make some people VERY uncomfortable. I do it when Im just hanging out sometimes watching TV myself.
Old July 1, 2011, 05:14 PM   #85
Catfishman

Quote:
I even keep a loaded mag close by because I dont want to be caught with my pants down if something happend.
I don't think that is a good idea.

Your gun, your house. But you asked a question and a lot of people think it's not a good idea. Maybe you should reconsider.
Old July 1, 2011, 08:41 PM   #86
ConlawBloganon

I don't engage in dry-fire practice except in a very controlled setting, and even then it's not my first recourse if I'm looking to improve my skills. In general, I don't pull the trigger on any of my guns unless I intend for them to go boom.

Tags
dryfire , family