The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 28, 2004, 05:26 AM   #1
User Name

Refinishing question

I'm gonna start gathering up parts for customizing my 1911 (mag guide, extended safety, etc.) and when I'm done I want to have the whole gun refinished all the same (haven't decided on finish yet let me know if it is pertinent to this question).
My question is: Is there a certian finish that will "refinish" better than the other?
ie: When I order my mag guide is blue or stainless a better choice?
Also how well does magnesium or titanium triggers take finish?
Thanks.
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!

Last edited by User Name; September 28, 2004 at 07:47 AM.
Old October 17, 2004, 01:22 PM   #2
Wallew

STEEL firearms blue fairly easily and well.

STAINLESS STEEL will NOT BLUE. Neither will Titanium or magnesium.

HOWEVER, you can have these surfaces painted (Robar or Bearcoat) or plated (many choices of finish) OR anodized (all the colors of the rainbow), fianlly I guess YOU COULD POWDER COAT EVERYTHING (again, colors galore). ALL of these refinishes cost MORE than just blueing an all steel 1911.

And you have choices you will have to make regarding even blued finishes. Do you want a high polish or just grit blast and blued. Then there is parkerizing, which is another refinish that can be used on steel firearms.

It's kind of like making your truck run faster. How much money do you want to spend sets how much faster you will run.

Hope that helps